NY NYC Hudson Hotel UM/CPS

ag01ewb
By ag01ewb,
in

My wife and I stayed at the Hudson Hotel on our first trip to NYC. We booked the hotel as a 3.5* MTC on Hotwire and saved ~$70/night from the price listed on the hotel website.

The lobby was nice and the staff was friendly. We arrived around 1:30pm and our room was not ready, so we left our luggage and they later delivered it to our room.

The room was very small (~150 sq. ft), but was set up well enough that it was not a problem. It had wood floors, a comfortable bed, was kept neat and clean, and had a bathroom big enough for one person at a time.

By far our favorite thing about the hotel was the location. The only time we used a cab was to get from the airport to the hotel - then took the subway/NJ Transit to get back. The hotel is located so close to Columbus Circle, Central Park, and the subway (3 minute walk) that we were able to walk or use the subways for the 5 days we were there.

In summary, we were happy with the hotel and would stay there again - especially if we save $70/night through Hotwire.

• 1 year later...

Used Priceline for my parents week stay at the Hudson.

They just checked in and called to let me know how they are doing.

They love the hotel...the location....! They said..."it's very hip!"

They were upgraded to a mini suite...twice the square footage of their orginal room when tipping the front desk person $100...discretely. :)

• 3 months later...

My wife and stayed there Sept 2nd - 5th. I agree with everything previous reviews. This is an excellent location near the subway and accross the street from the mall in the Times Warner building. There are also a lot of good restaruants nearby along 9th street. The rooms were clean and the beds slept well. On the down side, the rooms are really small and the lobby and hallway very dimly lit. If we were returning to NYC, we would be happy to stay with them again.

• 10 months later...

I stayed there with my gf in July 2008. Booked w/ priceline.com and ended spending $210/night. Wasn't too bad considering the time of year.

Hotel nicely decorated and the staff was very nice for the most part.

Our first room was tiny! The staff said they couldn't do much as we didn't book via the hotel, but instead on priceline. We were able to spend an additional $30 for an upgrade on a two bedroom suite. Which was NICE, at first though. The AC was built to be plugged into a 220V outlet, but they had only a 110V outlet, which meant the AC would work for 5 mins, then breaking the fuse which meant our room hit 80 F!!!

the room was unbearable! and after two days of complain it, they still didn't offer us another room...so we requested another room and we were denied that.

The concierge staff informed us that local calling would be free...once we received our bill...NOPE...$1.35/call....the $1.35 wasn't the issue, it's the fact that we were not told the truth.

On the way out to the airport, the staff outside hailed us a cab, but then it got weird...the staff told the taxi driver that he wasn't allowed to wait a the cab area for the hotel as "it wasn't the right time"..weird story short, he asked the cab driver for $5....which I thought was petty....anyways..cab driver had no clue, so he gave him $3 and then we were off on our way.

my review of this place: I would NOT go back as the staff are not honest and to really get anything here, you would need to really complain about the service.

• 4 months later...

My BF and I got the Hudson Hotel through Hotwire for 138$US for one night and were excited to be spending our first overnight in NY! We arrived in NYC by bus and it took less than 10 minutes to get from the bus terminal to the hotel, great location, and I recognized where I was immediately, this was just blocks from my caviar fix!

There were about 6 bell men at the door, all ready and eager to help us out of the taxi, and on into the hotel. Doors open, hellos and how are yous! Perfect.

The entrance is quite impressive with a long escalator ride up to the lobby, the yellow walls slowly being taken over by the green vines growing down from the roof of the lobby area. I kind of felt like I had just entered a tree house, a large treehouse! The staff was extremely friendly, and were helpful in orienting us to the many bars and lounges available throughout the hotel. We were quickly assigned our room and were eager to see what this funky hotel had in store for us.

The hallways were dark and room numbers were hard to discern, but I kind of liked that feeling and eventually we did find out assigned space. As we opened the door, we were astonished by the size of the room, pacing a mere 8 steps forward and I would hit the window, from the recessed closet to the bathroom door, that would be 11 steps! In that tiny space was a "bed" I would call a futon, a TV, a desk, lamps and other doodads, most of which didn't work. Alas, we hadn't come to the hotel to spend our time in our room, so this arrangement was not the end of the world, but it certainly was not something I would choose again, even at such a low rate.

I didn't peruse the bars or lounges at Hudson, as I had plans to visit a few of my favorite places, however, I am not sure that they would really be my style of place anyhow. I peaked at one of the lounges and noticed one of the ugliest trends these places have started on, those clear plastic chairs - ugh, uncomfortable and ugly!

If you are a single hipster 20-ish person who plans on partying and just using the hotel as a place to store your clothes, take a shower and repeat, this is a great place, but for a couple, the rooms are just too small IMHO.

Lilac Wine

• 5 months later...

we were very very pleased with this hotel for a long weekend in NYC. one tip-- make sure you bring the address, as i didn't see a sign out front and it's easy to walk past.

the only negative i experienced was at check-in. there were three people working the front desk, and all were occupied. after 10 minutes, still with same people (the desk people were apparently being too helpful and giving tips about restaurants and bars, when the concierge desk sat open with 2 staff and no guests). so it took us nearly a half hour to check in, and there was a huge line after us, so i was kind of ticked off.

got to our room, and indeed it was tiny. but that's what i was expecting from the reviews, and it was perfectly sized for a couple without a ton of luggage. bathroom was completely normal sized, and bed was low but normal sized as well. two bedside tables and a small desk were all that there was, plus a closet and cupboard including safe. i can see where people might complain if they're used to giant houses from most of america, but i am a city person and have lived in tiny apartments for most of my life. in fact, this place made us realize we preferred a smaller bedroom so there is less likely to be clutter! it was a great japanese feel, very stylized yet comfortable.

anyway, like everyone said, it's a great location, 2 blocks away from the park is great as you can eat your breakfast watching joggers. standard city amenities nearby including 24 hour drugstore and starbucks, and subway nearby. there is a very cool garden behind checkin, and apparently a roof deck that we didn't get around to seeing. our room had a view of the river, BTW. the main bar becomes quite the party place, although we were on the 19th floor so had no noise problems.

internet is $10/day, business center is $1/minute for internet. bonus was that they didn't charge to hold our bags for a day on our day of departure.

would definitely stay here today, especially at the great priceline price! ($105, if i remember correctly)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]