Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Denver (Greater Downtown) Crowne Plaza

doade101
By doade101,
in

Just started bidding yesterday for a trip 9/22 - 9/25. $60, 4*, downtown Denver denied. Going to try $70 tonight. I wouldn't mind staying at a lesser star hotel but see that most of them are further from the central business district as compared to the 4*'s listed. I'd like to stay as close to the center of downtown as possible. Any suggestions on a strategy?

At the 4* level in Denver, you have 11 free rebid zones. There is more discussion of this concept in the FAQs. If you want to try it, and aren't yet comfortable, please post back for more details.

The free rebid zones would let you bid up $1 at a time from $61 to $71. Or any other increment of your choosing.

Romelle

There is discussion in the FAQs on the bidding timing. A little over a month out really isn't too far in advance, although things can open up at the last minute. You could make a cancelable back-up reservation and then keep bidding at comfortable levels.

On the lower star levels, of course the free rebid list is shorter, but there are still quite a few (8 at the 3.5* level).

I looked at HOTWIRE for your dates. Sort of odd results. For all three of your nights, the only thing available in the Greater Downtown area was a 2.5* at $84.

Looking at individual nights:

Sat 4.5* $187 (no 4* offered) and 2.5* $99

Sun 4* $98 and 2.5* $103 (This isn't a typo, the lower star level one was really more expensive. But it did list Free Parking as an amenity.)

Mon 4* $125 and 2.5* $61

So your problem night is Saturday night. But splitting your bid into 1 night and 2 might be more nuisance than it is worth?

There were other star levels offered, but this showed the general pattern (or lack thereof).

Fortunately, you've got plenty of time to explore your options.

Romelle

Done and done. Took your advice and changed my dates to 9/23 - 9/25. I figured I'd book the Monday (9/23) and Tuesday (9/24) through priceline and pay for Saturday at the same hotel with AMEX points. Got to $100 and still denied. Weird thing is when I added "evergreen" as a zone, which shows no 4* properties, The median price dropped from $222 to $180? I opted not to select evergreen as I was confused. Whats up with that?

Evergreen is still an OK free rebid zone at the 4* level. That "median price" often does some odd things. Mostly it is best just to ignore it. But good to be cautious and alert, as you were.

Excellent idea on using the AMEX points for the problem night. I've used points to resolve problem also.

Romelle

Yeah, but s

till didn't fix my problem. I'm at $105 now and still denied. What hotel do you think I'd most likely get bidding at the 3.5* level.

For future reference, the very first post in this Colorado - Priceline area is a list of hotels members have reported here.

These are the Downtown Denver 3.5*s:

The Burnsley All Suite Hotel

Curtis Hotel (previously 3*) 2.5* Executive Tower Hotel

Marriott City Center

There is a Hotel Review area right at the end of this site. Hopefully some members have been kind enough to provide reviews.

You probably are familiar with www.tripadvisor.com. I'm sure you can find them there, and get some more opinions.

Of course it is always possible to get an as-yet-unreported hotel.

If you do start bidding at the 3.5* level, do remember the free rebids may be different.

Romelle

How high are you willing to bid for this leg of your trip?

HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel for $118/nite (only 1 room left) and if that would be your best deal i would bid the extra $5-$10 to see if you could win it on PRICELINE or less... or take the HOTWIRE offer or lower your star rating to 3.5*.

Here are some other options...

Don't know if it's too far south for your needs but the Loews Hotel can be booked for your complete stay for $103/nite... as can the Grand Hyatt for $152/nite.

Let us know your thoughts and how it goes and/or how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Did the $118/nite HOTWIRE property work for your needs (if still available)?

Keep us updated on your progress and whatever you decide to do for this stay or if we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Hope you're pleased with the purchase and looking forward to your trip.

I believe there may have been more amenities than you listed in your post, which would not have been seen unless you clicked the 'See all' link during the check-out process... can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the full list of amenities associated with this property. You can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Enjoy your stay.

Correct, there were more amenities listed but I was confused as the abbreviated list is whats seen on the "hotwire list of hotels" section of this site.

Full amenities are:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

I'm still getting used to using this site. Thanks for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried again today and success! $88, 3.5*, Downtown Denver, Amenities: Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service). Crowne Plaza Denver. I used the HOTWIRE link and I'll report this win to the board.

This is a nice hotel. I was able to get through PRICELINE a few months back. The location was great and staff were great, as well. Hope your experience is just, as good as mine.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]