Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Times Square - Theatre District) Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Heide Szeto
By Heide Szeto,
in

Hi Everyone,

I ended up getting cheap flight tickets to NY but didn't realize I was going during a peak time. Any idea of what I can expect to pay when trying to bid on hotels for a check in on 10/28 and checking out 10/31? I know Sunday's are usually cheaper, so should I split up the stay and bid for two different hotel stays, one for 10/28 and the rest for 10/29-10/31?

Posted.

Our desired budget per night for our NYC stay is no more than 200 per night with taxes. We are willing to go as low as a 3 or 3.5 star hotel. Looked at the areas and it looks like we're pretty much willing to stay in majority of the areas which include:

Downtown Financial District (We stayed at the Andaz last year when our coworker booked it) $269-$299

SoHo Tribecca (We won the hilton garden inn last year) $340-$392

Chelsea $284

Madison Square Garden $308

Empire State Building

Times Square $255-$345

Central Park

Upper Eastside

Not sure how these areas are but we're willing to give it a try:

Midtown East $307-$373

Midtown West $279-$399

Did a search for the dates and the above are the average prices for 10/28-10/31 for those areas. My questions are: Should I stick to a specific area and two, should we start our bidding now or closer to arrival?

Thank you.

If you are willing to stay within any of the above areas, I would not try to stick to specific areas in an attempt to increase your chances. The only separation you may want to make is attempt first for Midtown areas only, then start to include Downtown-Soho and the Upper West/Upper East only if Midtown remains difficult. If a couple of weeks go by without a 4* win, you could then move down to 3.5* 4* very well may prove difficult for these dates under $200, especially in Midtown.

Traditionally, this is one of the busier/more expensive times of the year, so I would definitely start to bid now and try every 2-3 days in an attempt to lock something in. At the 4* level, I would start at $150 and work higher by $5's up to the $200 ceiling.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for the advice!

I'm going to start bidding later today. Looks like the lowest price for the dates I have for a 4* is the Affinia Shelburne which is Midtown East at $292 a night.

So would I start off with bidding on Midtown West & Midtown East only at $150. Then if that fails, start adding the other areas such as Empire State, Chelsea, Madison, Central park, and etc?

BTW, do you have any suggestions on any specific areas I should stay away from?

Your $200 all-in maximum is equivalent to a ~$165 bid price, and this may not be enough for even a 3* hotel (although a $200 bid price, not all-in, may improve your chances significantly)

Did you want to bid for a 4* hotel first up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5* property, then if rejected try for a 3*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip?

At the 4* level MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB are the most popular and frequently bid zones which are all generally close to a subway station. Thereafter, Chelsea, Soho, UWS, and Downtown are also decent, but a second to the previous set of zones.

At 3.5* MSG can be added to the bidding, but you also need to be aware of the following at 3.5* and under:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.).. is this acceptable?

Based upon the above let us know what you'd like to try first as well as confirm your $165 maximum bid (or if you're able to increase this at all) and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My initial goal was to get a 4* hotel only but after realizing October was peak season in NYNC, am willing to settle for a lesser star hotel if that would make it easier to win something (and to save some money). After looking at airbnb to see what our other options were, noticed that even the nicer places were $200 and up. Since that's the case, We are more willing to increase the bid to get a hotel instead of going the airbnb route. My boyfriend and I would like to only spend about $700 but no more than $800 for our three night hotel say in NYC. Would this come out with a maximum bid to about $200 a night?

Also as you mentioned, at the 3.5 MSG zone a 15 minute walk to the subway from the hotel is a possibility - We are completely fine with that. We enjoy walking and that is definitely not a problem (call us crazy but last year when we went to NY, we walked from the top of Central Park back down to Downtown Financial District).

CPS - the Hudson hotel with a small room - that's also acceptable since we wouldn't be in our hotel room much anyway.

I hope I answered all the concerns with this reply. Look forward to hearing from you and I'm quite anxious to start the bidding process!

Also as you mentioned, at the 3.5 MSG zone a 15 minute walk to the subway from the hotel is a possibility...

Just to clarify for future users... it's the MTE zone that can be a 15 minute walk to the subway when bidding 3.5* and under. (MSG was mentioned as a zone that becomes available for bidding at the 3.5*, since it has no 4* hotels, it's not an option when bidding for 4* properties).

While i don't think your budget will be enough for a 3.5* or 4* hotel, we can start there and see how it goes...

To confirm, all of the following zones are acceptable:

SoHo

Chelsea

Madison Square Garden

Empire State Building

Times Square

Central Park South

Upper Eastside (no 3.5* or 4* hotels offered in this zone)

Midtown East

Midtown West

At the 4* level you in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones... at the 3.5* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Soho, Chelsea, MSG, ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, CPS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, Chelsea, MSG, ESB...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, CPS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, CPS, MSG, ESB...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, Chelsea, MTE, MTW...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, Chelsea, MTE, ESB...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, CPS, MSG, MTW...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, Chelsea, MSG, MTW, TS, CPS, MTE...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, Chelsea, MSG, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Soho, Chelsea, MSG, ESB, TS, CPS, MTE, MTW...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $192, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $194, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $196, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

You can try the above at the 4* level, then if rejected close the browser and re-try at the 3.5* level. Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Initially I stated these as acceptable areas:

Soho

Chelsea

Empire State

Times Square

Central Park

Midtown East

Midtown West

but I've added the rest of the areas:

Downtown Financial

Hells Kitchen

and Upper Westside

Today I started my bidding process in increments of $5, with $5 bonus cash at:

150+5 added rebid zone - rejected

155+5 added rebid zone - rejected

160+5 added rebid zone - rejected

165+5 added rebid zone - rejected

170+5 added rebid zone - rejected

175+5 added rebid zone - rejected

180+5 added rebid zone - rejected

185+5 added rebid zone, and included ALL acceptable areas. - rejected

I will try again in 24 hours, and keep on trying for the net two or so weeks. If I am still unsuccessful, I will drop down to 3.5 stars as stated.

Currently the lowest rate for a 4 star hotel as stated previously is $278. The current lowest rate for a 3.5 star hotel is $264 for Upper West Side Brownstone - Bed and Breakfast and $269 for Club Quarters Wall St.

For 3.5 stars, are there specific areas I should stay away from? Right now from the looks of it, seems like I should stay away from the Upper West Side to avoid the bed and breakfast?

There's also the Z New York Hotel located in Long Island for $171. Looks like a pretty decent hotel...but I know it's on the other side =\

For 3.5 stars, are there specific areas I should stay away from? Right now from the looks of it, seems like I should stay away from the Upper West Side to avoid the bed and breakfast?

I don't believe i have ever seen a B&B won thru PRICELINE's Name Your Own service, so i'm not sure if that property would be a possibility.

Note that when bidding 3.5* and lower:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.).. is this acceptable?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Here's an update to my bidding:

Started with Chelsea, ESB, MTW, Soho at $160+5 bonus - rejected

Added TS, MTE, Downtown, and rebid zone at $165+5 - rejected

Added Central Park South, Upper West, Hells Kitchen, and rebid zone at $170+5 - rejected

Added rebid $180+5 - rejected

Added rebid $185+5 rejected

Added rebid $200+5 rejected

Added rebid $210+5 accepted

Got the Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel for $771.66 for 3 nights.

Hoping to have a great experience with this hotel!

Not complaining, but just realized this hotel only has double beds :(

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]