Priceline Hotel: 2* New York City (Upper West Side) Days Hotel Broadway New York

mtbscott
By mtbscott,
in

New to the forum. I've only used Priceline once before and got what I thought was a smokin' deal back in early June, two nights at the Helmsley NYC for $100 a night.

I'm returning to the city for three nights November 16-19. I know the fall is more expensive but I've started bidding for a 3* at $100 a night. Following the strategies here I gradually go up to a max of $120 and include all of the Manhattan zones, but so far no luck.

I've got the Verve in LIC for $125 a night as cancellable backup but would love a "surprise" 3* in Manhattan as an alternative. If I keep trying, do you think my target amount is doable as it gets closer?

Rates vary significantly by dates - Summer is generally one of the most reasonable periods of the year, but Fall and the early half of Winter get considerably busier. $120 is likely not going to be enough given traditional rates for this period and what rates are showing currently. You are, however, probably not vastly far off - I'm guessing you're likely looking at the $135-155 range for a 3* in Midtown. If you can get something for hopefully the low end of that range - would it be worth staying in the city for the extra versus commuting in from LIC in the middle of November?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

That's the big question. I usually stay somewhere in LIC and understand its appeal. Never been to the Verve before but have stayed very near it, and like the fact that it's close to three subway stations.

It is fun to stay in the city although I could get something potentially further from a subway stop. I think I'll keep working the $120 and might consider a bit more as it gets closer. I'm going on kind of a weird weekend. It's right before the airline rush for Thanksgiving and I would think not a super busy week in NYC so I'm hoping for a bargain.

I have been clicking through the PRICELINE links on this forum.

Thanksgiving week is generally a very slow week (well, in comparison), but the weekend still looks to be pricey - you can see a fairly dramatic difference in pricing on HOTWIRE when looking at the 16th-18th alone and the 18th-19th alone.

Thank you for keeping us updated and please let us know what you decide.

Thanks for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Still no luck with my original wants/needs using the PRICELINE links here.

I've been looking over the 2.5 * rating hotels in the various Manhattan zones and am considering them. I guess it's a relative call, but is there that much difference in a 2.5 and 3.0 in NY? The only particular one that worries me is Hotel 41 in the TS zone, recent reviews say it has become more or less a hostel and at the very minimum I want a private room with private bath. Can I be assured that via Priceline at 2.5 stars?

Considering the time of year, rates are currently not that high for your dates, but at the moment $125 is not realistic... $135-$155 is probably where you need to be at the moment, but not sure if up to $30/nite is worth it to you to be in Manhattan and not in LIC (and you may get a 4* for that price too... as i'm seeing a few 4* that are priced around the same price as the 3.5*/3* hotels)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried again this morning bumping up to a max of $130, still no offers accepted. I'll keep trying this every few days, then might consider dropping my star level as it gets closer. I've still got plenty of time and my current backup reservation is totally acceptable if I can't find a better bargain.

Went up to $135 for 3* using all Manhattan zones except Harlem(too far north for me)and still no luck. Dropped to 2.5 stars and $125 and did no better. I looked through Priceline's list of 2.5 star hotels in Manhattan and think I could live with them, will have to decide on price tomorrow when I try again.

I'm done. After continuing to go up to as high as $135 for 2.5's, I perused Priceline's listed 2* hotels and decided for my purposes that would work. Just got a winning bid of $120 a night for the Days(Inn)Hotel Broadway on W.94th at Broadway in the Upper West Side. Their current "buy it" rate is $159 so a savings of $117. I've never stayed in the Upper West Side before but looks like a good location by Google streetview with a subway station literally right across the street.

Its guest reviews are the mixed bag that is always NYC. I think lots of people have unrealistic expectations, I just want a good location, good price, clean and safe room, and I think I'll get it there. The hotel seems to be under renovation which also seems to be a never ending thing in Manhattan. Thanks for the help here, see ya'll next time I'm bidding for a room. Hope I'm satisfied.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]