Hotwire Hotel: 4* New York City (Upper West Side) Empire Hotel

bamalawyer
By bamalawyer,
in

I am booking my first trip to NYC for October 6 - 11, and I know that it is expensive this time of year. I'm not sure where exactly to stay, but I am thinking that we should stay somewhere near Times Square or the Theather District since we are mainly going to do the tourist things, i.e Broadway shows, shopping, Statute of Liberty, museums, Ground Zero, etc. Since I am not familiar with the city, and I would love some help.

Would Times Square/Theather District be the best place to stay? If so, what is the average rate going for on these dates? If this wouldn't be the best overall place to stay, which area would be the best and what is the average rate for that area?

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Times Square-Theater District is the most popular zone, but it's also the most crowded and expensive; I'd rather suggest nearby zones such as MTW and (especially) MTE. Unfortunately, this is a very expensive time of year; what would be your desired budget per night, desired star rating and which zones would be of interest?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

...I am thinking that we should stay somewhere near Times Square or the Theather District since we are mainly going to do the tourist things, i.e Broadway shows, shopping, Statute of Liberty, museums, Ground Zero, etc. Since I am not familiar with the city, and I would love some help.

You don't need to stay in Times Square as all of the things i've bolded above are not in Times Square (depending of course what type of 'shopping' you're referring to as, of course, there are plenty of souvenir shops for postcards and nick-knacks in Times Square). Times Square is of course centrally located and a good 'launching pad' to get elsewhere in the city, but there are other centrally located zones that will be just as convenient.

I would like to spend $1000-$1200 total for 5 nights. Of course if I could get a really decent (3.5 or higher) hotel for less, I wouldn't complain.

It's not clear if you're looking to bid on a 4* or a 3.5* property... can you pleas confirm which you wanted to try for first? (as the star rating you're trying for will effect the zones we would recommend bidding)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB are all generally considered to be well located and convenient for the average user.

However, your $1200 all-in budget equates to ~$200/nite bid price, which at the moment doesn't look like it will be enough for a 4* hotel. We can certainly suggest a strategy for you to follow (once you let us know if all/any of the zones above are acceptable), but my guess is that right now you'd need to be in the $225-$245/nite range to have a good chance at a 4* hotel.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

In the zones you've bid i'm guessing at the moment you'll need to be in the $265-$285 area for a 4* hotel... perhaps a bit less ($225??) for a 3.5* hotel. Unfortunately this is a very expensive time of year for NYC.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, or staying outside of NYC and commuting in for all or a portion of your stay an option?

I would rather not split my bid, only because I don't want to have to take part of an evening or day just to pack everything up and move. Because of the expense and the time of the year, I would be willing to stay in a 3 star. What would an appropriate bidding strategy for a 3 star? What are the normal going rates for a 3 star during October? I am looking at the areas that you previously suggested, MTE, MTW, and Central Park East.

I would be willing to stay in a 3 star... I am looking at the areas that you previously suggested, MTE, MTW, and Central Park East.

I assume you mean Central Park South (and not Central Park East)

As well, the previously suggested zones were at the 4* level, as things change in NYC when bidding 3.5* and lower. When bidding 3.5* and lower:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while well located, has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.).. is this acceptable?

If you give us an idea of what you're willing to spend we'll offer some suggestions as to which star rating/zones you may have the best chance at being successful within your budget.

A fifteen minute walk is okay. I would like something a little larger than 140 square feet, but then again, I hope not to be spending all my time in a hotel room. I have heard NYC is also know for having small hotel rooms, so I am prepared to handle it. As long as the bed is comfy, and free of "non-paying guests" I can make due with a small room. :)

Forgive me on my locations, I hope after this first trip, I will get a better idea on the areas.

For a 3* hotel in midtown you're likely looking at ~$180-$200... if you're willing to include Downtown in your bidding you may be in the $180-$200 range.

Is this within your expected budget?

Before you move down to bidding a 3* hotel in your current zones, perhaps you'd consider staying a little further out in a 3.5 or 4* hotel?

I like to think riding the public transportation in New York is part of the overall NY experience. I'm sure you could get some good advice here as to more remote zones with relatively shorter rides into town.

I'd suggest at least reading the reviews on the 3*s in the Hotel Review area (last area on this site) before you proceed. While 3*s can be very nice in other parts of the US, I'm told they are weaker in New York. If you aren't already familiar with the site, there are even more reviews on www.tripadvisor.com.

You've also got quite a bit of time left, so you could reserve a cancelable back-up reservation and then continue bidding until the last minute.

If you are flying, and have a very late arrival or very early departure, maybe the relevant night could be in an airport hotel? Those hotels are typically considerably less expensive, and could ease the budget.

Romelle

For a 3* hotel in midtown you're likely looking at ~$180-$200... if you're willing to include Downtown in your bidding you may be in the $180-$200 range.

Yes! I have budgeted $1200 -1400 for a hotel...

Do you prefer a 3* in Midtown vs. a 4* Downtown or vice-versa? If trying for midtown, are all of the following zones acceptable (i know you said you don't know too much about the area but it seems like you're rather flexible so all of the following i think should be fine, but you should look at the map just to confirm and ask any questions you have):

CPS (small rooms possible), Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS

(i'm not including UES or UWS at the moment as each can go fairly far north and not ideal for a first time visitor)

Please confirm and/or ask questions regarding the above and we'll take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that Priceline likes me very much. I tried tonight basically putting everything I had down on the line for a room. I started with the MTW, MTE, Times Square, all in the 3.0 star area. By the time I stopped bidding, I was in a 2.0 star range at $200.00 per night with MTW, MTE, Wall Street, SoHo-Tribeca, Chelsea, Financial District, all but Hell's Kitchen, Queens, Brooklyn the airport regions.

Am I doing something wrong? I know NYC is expensive but I thought that I would have at least won a bid that was the same as the Priceline Express Deal (2.0 star in the Upper West Side Area for $165.00 per night). Not only am I confused, because I thought I could get a 2.5 star hotel in the #200.00 range, but I'm a little ticked that I can't even get a deal close to the express deal.

What am I doing wrong?

I doubt that you are doing anything wrong (although you may be overbidding) but rather, as noted above, have hit some very expensive dates in NYC.

What is the zone, star rating, price, and amenities associated with the PRICELINE express deal you're referencing?

HOTWIRE has a 3* hotel in the Downtown zone for $175/nite so why would you even bid as high as $200 in this zone for a 2* rated property?

The Express Deal doesn't give a lot of information about the hotel. It is an Upper West Side Area hotel. It's 2 stars and the amenities is Free Internet; Fitness Center and Business Center.

I will be honest, I didn't look at HOTWIRE last night, and I am really glad that I didn't get a win with Priceline. I will be checking them out this evening. I read on someone else's thread that HOTWIRE sometimes charges extra fees that are not listed on what you bid on. How do I know that I will not have something like this come up?

I bet you will throw a party when I finally get a room reserved. LOL

Best guess for the UWS PRICELINE Express Deal would be the Days Inn Broadway.

As far as extra fees, there is generally no difference between PRICELINE and HOTWIRE in this regard... both include the total price to be paid except for Resort fees which regardless of how you book are payable directly to the hotel. HOTWIRE will also usually tell you the resort fee before your purchase whereas with PRICELINE you never know until after your purchase if the property will have a resort fee or not.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]