Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Columbia (Lexington) Wingate by Wyndham Columbia Lexington

LotusGeek
By LotusGeek,
in

I am in an unusual situation - I live in the "booming metropolis" of Flowery Branch, GA (yes, as small as it sounds ;) ), and I work in Columbia, SC. I just started this job about 1.5-2 months' ago, and after I build up some cash I will be renting a small apartment; but until then I'm staying in a hotel during the week.

I've tried various hotels from both Hotwire and Priceline (always the "hidden name, pick an area" choice for the cheapest rate), all within the 1-2.5* range. Most have been pretty bad, all along the "bad" part of Two Notch Road. However I finally found a hotel that is an outstanding value for the price - the Wingate by Windham hotel in Lexington, SC.

The retail rate for this hotel is $109/night - and I have overheard them charging this to other customers every time I've been there. I found this property the first time through Priceline's "Express Deals" option, at a rate of $49/night; I booked the hotel on the first night of my stay. Since then I've used the identifying "traits" of this hotel - location, star, review score, etc. - to make sure I get it every time. Since that first night I haven't been able to get the best rate through the Express Deals option. Instead I've first checked the Express Deals rate, and if it is more than $49/night (which it has been since that first time - usually around $55) I switch to the "Name Your Own Price" option, and enter a bid about $4 or $5 lower than the Express Deals rate. This always brings the rate down to $48/$49 per night - every time. At this rate I consider this an outstanding value, for a few reasons.

This hotel appears to be relatively new - it looks like recent construction, all rooms are "shiny-new", carpets are very new, it smells clean, etc. The rooms are all either very large (king bed and a couch, or two queen beds) or are suites. All come with a microwave, nice coffee/tea maker, refrigerator, widescreen LCD TV, and a thermostat-driven Heat/AC (better than the "dial" type, IMHO). It also includes free WiFi broadband internet and free local calls.

The hotel provides a free "continental plus" breakfast in the mornings with eggs of some type (e.g. scrambled or omelet), some type of meat (e.g. sausage or bacon), make-your-own waffles, yogurt, etc. In the evenings they have a "managers' reception" with some type of finger food (e.g. pulled pork, meatball sub, etc.) and free alcoholic beverages or soft drinks. If you're a light eater like me, I usually am able to eat free most days. They also have a small convenience area with snacks, sodas, nicer toiletries than the free ones, and so on - and the prices are no higher than a normal convenience store. This comes in handy, I must say.

The staff is extremely courteous and accommodating. They respond quickly to requests, and are very pleasant overall. This includes the housecleaning staff, who have already learned to identify my room by my "stuff" that I bring with me - and so they leave me nice notes after cleaning (like wishing me a nice day, etc.), and they use my name. I like these little, personal touches. Incidentally I walk with a cane, and find a first floor room to be much easier to use than any other floor. Once again the staff knows my name, and they automatically move my room to the first floor when they see my reservation come in from Priceline. Additionally I am not treated any differently as a "Priceline customer". I feel I am treated as well, or better than, any other guest.

I apologize for such a long-winded review, but I wanted to convey my extreme pleasure with the combination of Priceline and the Windgate by Windham. I am able to stay in a very nice hotel for a cut-rate price, and my stay there is uneventful and enjoyable - a situation that seems to be increasingly rare lately.

Cheers!

--Rocky, aka LotusGeek

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you found a property that works well for your needs and that you're treated well by the staff.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]