Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Airport OHare ORD North) Springhill Suites O'Hare

PennyPincha
By PennyPincha,
in

I wanted a 4 start hotel in the Loop/NMA area, but it seems the weekend I need to go (8/3-8/5) is already sold out in many areas... and I'd bid up to 115, which is my comfort limit. Rather than stay in a possibly undesirable hotel, we decided that we'd rather stay out by the airport in a 4 star and take the subway in each day.

The recommendations for most of these hotels are from people using them, crazy, as fast sleeps before/after a flight. Not a lot of sense of these as multi-night options or spots to crash for city adventures.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which zone, Airport OHare North or Airport OHare South is preferable, based on the 4* hotel listings from this site.

Will one of the zones be more convenient for the subway?

Will one of the zones be more likely to get me a nicer hotel? I'm concerned that the South zone is full of 3.5s that have been upgraded.

We also figured parking is cheaper out here... so it will save us money.

Feedback appreciated.

Welcome to Betterbidding.

Unfortunately, this period is when the Lollapalooza Festival takes place. Are you driving in or flying in? If you are driving in, there are a lot of other areas I'd rather recommend that would have free parking, whereas parking at the airport can be as much as $15-20+. If you are not driving in, I'd stay by O'Hare, and I actually would tend to prefer the North area. While there's no guarantee, the possibility of the Hilton at the airport would be appealing, given the convenience of the subway at the airport. However, you could attempt to look on HOTWIRE and try - no guarantees - to use the information given to narrow down if one of the listings may be the Hilton. There are some nice hotels in both zones, but I think the Hilton is particularly convenient.

If you are driving though, I'd stay elsewhere besides ORD.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect area has a 4* for $79 on HOTWIRE, which would likely be either the Renaissance North Shore or Westin North Shore - I'm guessing a bid for a 4* in the North Shore zone (there is the North Shore zone within the North Shore region) could be had for $55-60 (although I'd try $45 and $50 first). Additionally, none of the hotels in that zone charge for parking.

I'm guessing a 3.5* in the Deerfield zone (which is slightly North of the North Shore zone) could be had for $40-45 via PRICELINE bidding. The "known" (reported to the board, there may be others although I don't think that's likely in this case) 3.5*'s in the Deerfield area would be the Embassy Suites Deerfield, Marriott Suites Deerfield and Hyatt Deerfield.

In either instance, you could take the Metra train downtown (which does not come as often on weekends and is more expensive than CTA, but quite a bit nicer and more comfortable), Expressway or there is a longer, scenic route if you get a hotel reasonably close to the lake.

Let us know if you have any questions before bidding.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update on this, we've decided we'd really rather stay in the heart of town and were willing to compromise other things. So we've given up on the 8/3 weekend and are now looking at a flexible 3 days between 8/5 sunday and 8/9 thursday.

I've been bidding 4*, 3.5*, and 3* within the loop... and not getting a hit. I'm wondering if the 3 day block is working against me. What are the ups and downs of bidding each night separately? Assuming I could get cheaper rates for some nights, but would have to go higher for at least one night... would hotel hopping be tricky to pull off? Car will probably stay parked at Navy Pier the whole time.

I've been using the PRICELINE link above.

For 4* in Loop and NM, I've gone up to 115.

I'd prefer not to go that high for lower levels--if I'm compromising on hotel, I want the cash to do a nicer dinner.

So, I've done up to $90 at 3.5 in both zones, and $86 for 3 stars.

What I've noticed is that people bidding last minute seem to get better deals. I found the calendar, and for instance, for this evening, people have gotten down to 60-70 for 4* in Loop, but those were booked less than 3 days prior. When I look at the higher priced wins, they seem to have been booked further in advance. Trying to decide if I should push it to the last minute.

I've done 8/5-8 and 8/6-9. I've also done Monday and Tuesday only, as those seem to be cheaper dates, with the hope that I'll get a lower rate for those and then find something else for Sunday or Wednesday.

I suppose at this point, it's just luck of the draw. I'll post whatever the results are.

Thanks Aaron.

I think we're going to try to save some money and go out to Evanston (cheaper parking) and I should be able to get it for 1/2 the price of downtown. If we just use it to sleep, and spend our day downtown, I'm okay with it. After taxes, it was just getting to a place where it would cut into my food and fun cash while in Chicago.

I've been looking for the link that I found here a while ago that was on a general help page that said the Priceline minimum for each star category. I remember it said minimum for 4* was $55, but I don't remember what it said for the other levels. Do you remember these off hand?

An update to close this thread:

I ended up going with a Hotwire deal instead of priceline.

Was advertised as a 3* hotel at ORD North. Price was $59 a night for 8/5-8/8 with 100% approval rating.

Amenities were free parking, free breakfast, suites, pool.

Turns out the property is SpringHill Suites, which came as a surprise as it's not on your list of hotwire hotels. This property also has free internet, but it didn't specify that when I booked. List price for the property for those dates is $149 a night.

Thanks for all the help.

Was advertised as a 3* hotel at ORD North. Price was $59 a night for 8/5-8/8 with 100% approval rating.

Turns out the property is SpringHill Suites, which came as a surprise as it's not on your list of hotwire hotels. This property also has free internet, but it didn't specify that when I booked. List price for the property for those dates is $149 a night.

There may have been more amenities associated with this property which would only have been seen if you clicked the 'See all' link under the amenities during the check-out process. Can you add a reply to this thread confirming if there were indeed only four amenities listed... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]