HNL Oahu Standard

wtam
By wtam,
in

Hotwire showing the following price drop today.

Standard (Ford Fusion/Chrysler Sebring or similar)

16.59/day

184.52 total

had been between 25-30/day the last two weeks.

Had been bidding on PL up to $12/day with no success.

Should I just take this or keep bidding on PL? Any ideas as to what would be the suggested PL bid max to be comparable to this Hotwire hot rate. Hesitant to go higher than 12/day as reading other threads/forums, PL fees add a few bucks per day compared to Hotwire. Was hoping to score at $10/day being the cheapo I am.

Have clicked on both the Hotwire and PRICELINE links you provided.

Have you bid on PRICELINE since you saw the rate drop?

Also, what is the rate in US Dollars (click the currency tab on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to US Dollars)

Keep in mind that rates are date specific and you won't always be able to replicate the absolute lowest prices reported on the board for dates that are different then your own. You basically just saw a 35%-50% rate drop, so it depends how aggressive you want to be... personally i'd take the recent rate drop and be comfortable knowing i got a 'very good' rate, even if later it turns out to not be the 'very best' rate.

It comes down to this, what would make you feel worse:

1) buying now and then seeing rates drop another $3/day

2) waiting for another $3/day drop but instead seeing rates jump back up to $25-$30

For me #2 is the worse situation as i can handle missing the best price by $3, but i'd be upset if i had to pay an additional $10-$15/day then i know i could have. Risking $10-$15/day savings for an additional $3/day savings is not a good risk/reward in my book. If i was risking $5 savings in hopes of another $3 then the risk/reward ratio changes and i might be more inclined to wait, but i don't risk $10/$15 in order to save $3.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, the USD rate was $16/day. CAD to USD almost at par.

After discussing with the better half, chose to pass and keep bidding as we've got time and a car isn't a must have unless it's at our price point.

Since in waikiki, a car is not totally necessary and with parking, gas, insurance etc.. 16/day easily turns into 40/day. Which for just the wife and I, taxi and bus is just as easy and cheaper for 80% of our planned activities and maybe a 1 day rental while in town suits our needs and budget better.

Couldn't book hotel with it this time as wife used reward points to book our hotel, but always, always use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links since i found this board. And even though i didn't book the car, hopefully the price info is useful to someone now or in the future.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]