2 rooms-Seattle downtown

matt5217
By matt5217,
in

Hi there, first time poster here (long time lurker). I don't know if this will be possible, but if it is I would like some advice on how to make it work. We need two rooms in Seattle before a cruise sailing on 8/19/12. But due to frequent flyer award limitations we will arrive a day earlier than the other couple will.

Here's the nitty gritty:

Us-three nights 8/16-8/19

Them-two nights 8/17-8/19

We want to be in the Downtown Pike Place area as we're not planning to get a car, and are attending an event in Freemont on Saturday. Seattle Center-Space Needle would also be OK. Prefer 3* or 3.5* properties.

Is this even possible? If so, how do I set the bid to ensure that we're in the same property?

If it isn't possible plan B might be for us to stay someone lesser near the airport Thursday night and then head into town Friday to meet our traveling partners.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the nitty gritty:

Us-three nights 8/16-8/19

Them-two nights 8/17-8/19

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Your best option is booking 2 rooms for 8/17-8/19... then booking the additional nite separately on PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, although i would book the 2rooms/2nites first so that you at least see the hotel and then can determine how much a hotel direct purchase for the additional nite may cost (as not having to change zones and/or hotels may be worth a premium vs. staying in the airport zone)

If you're ready to bid now, let us know how you'd like to begin... Downtown/Pike Place only at first, then if rejected consider adding the Space Needle zone? Do you want to try for a 3.5* up to your limit first OR is the least expensive 3* or better the goal for this stay? What is your maximum bid?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply. After further research on the hotel list and previously winning bids, it seems that the best strategy would be to bid on Pike Place zone only and just 3.5 or 4.0. There are only 3 3* properties, two of which are not really where we want to be, and the third is sold out for that weekend according to their website. There isn't much difference in the successful bidding results for the past year between the 3.5 or 4* hotels for that zone. There have been plenty of successful bids in the $65-85 range.

Based on the history I have tracked here, I think the best option is to start bidding at $65 up to $85 or maybe $90.

If I go for 3.5* or better I have 10 rebid zones if I understand the suggested system correctly.

Which leads to my concern about the suggestion to add the third day by direct purchase from the hotel. Is there no way to add a day to only one of the rooms once my bid has been accepted? The website rates for these properties is in the $200-300 range. That kind of blows the savings for the bid in one night.

Thanks for the reply. After further research on the hotel list and previously winning bids, it seems that the best strategy would be to bid on Pike Place zone only and just 3.5 or 4.0. There are only 3 3* properties, two of which are not really where we want to be, and the third is sold out for that weekend according to their website. There isn't much difference in the successful bidding results for the past year between the 3.5 or 4* hotels for that zone. There have been plenty of successful bids in the $65-85 range.

Based on the history I have tracked here, I think the best option is to start bidding at $65 up to $85 or maybe $90.

If I go for 3.5* or better I have 10 rebid zones if I understand the suggested system correctly.

Which leads to my concern about the suggestion to add the third day by direct purchase from the hotel. Is there no way to add a day to only one of the rooms once my bid has been accepted? The website rates for these properties is in the $200-300 range. That kind of blows the savings for the bid in one night.

Rates are pretty date specific, so the history isn't necessarily a predictor of what you might be able to do.

Your count of 10 for rebid zones at the 3.5* level checks out. But do recheck it each day before you start a bidding session. It can change.

No, there isn't any way to add a night for just one room when you've bid on two. A solution that beats the $200 to $300 rack rate would be to bid on both rooms for all three nights. I have trouble throwing away money like that, but even if you had to go clear to $90, there would still be a bit of savings.

I've bid for and stayed in the airport hotels a number of times. The light rail has a stop right at the airport and gets one down town in about 1/2 hour. Clean, inexpensive, smooth ride. And the airport hotels are often not as expensive as the downtown ones. The additional savings might cover cab fare downtown.

You can look at the hotel list (first post in the Washington area) to see the ones people have reported as wins. And I believe most of them are reviewed in the Hotel Review area. www.tripadvisor.com will have reviews for any missing ones.

Romelle

You can certainly try, but as noted above rates are date specific, and at current prices i don't think that $90 will be enough for a 3.5* or 4* hotel in the Pike Place zone for this trip... you're more likely looking at ~$125-$145/nite at the moment, if i were to take a guess.

Let us know how many rooms you'd like to try for and the dates of your first purchase, as well as if you'd like to keep the bidding at a maximum bid of $190, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]