3 people in a double/twin room

letuno
By letuno,
in

Hello,

I will have a longer (multiple cities) family holiday with my parents and will probably book the hotels through Hotwire or Priceline (of course, using the links from the forum :) ). I was thinking about simply booking double/twin rooms, because the beds are usually big enough and we would have no problems with that.

Do you think that we could get any problems if the 3 of us stay in a double/twin room? Any other issues to consider in this case?

Thank you!

PRICELINE only guarantees one bed/double occupancy - you can request more than one bed with the hotel, but they may say no.

With HOTWIRE, you can indicate the amount of people in the room, and ensure some sort of bedding for the party (may be 2 beds or 1 + sofabed, etc.)

Please post the details of each stay in the appropriate section of the forum and we would be happy to offer suggestions on how to proceed.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the reply!

I know that and I would like to book a double room (i.e. not indicate during booking that we will be 3 people).

I was just wondering whether we can get some problems in some of the hotels because of that? E.g. that they refuse to let us stay in the double room if they see that we are 3 people.

There are a few risks here...

1) there is no way to book a 'double room' (assuming you mean a room with two beds). With PRICELINE all that is guaranteed is a room that will accommodate double occupancy, and this means the room could have one bed. This is a very real possibility in places like NYC and some other large cities where rooms are notoriously small and hotels have a large percentage of rooms with one bed and/or in locations where rooms with two beds is often considered an upgrade.

2) in locations where rooms are notoriously small rooms could be designated by fire code for only two people, and you could have an issue if you get a front desk clerk that enforces this (or the hotel recently had an issue and was fined and is being strict)

What city are you looking at?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the reply!

Regarding point 1): I've had good experience with larger hotels, when I asked for a room with two separate beds instead of 1 large bed. But as you say it's not guaranteed, that it will work. Worst case scenario: for 1 or 2 nights a queen/king bed for 3 people would do the job, too (not ideal, but doable).

The problem can be rather point 2). Are there in your opinion hotels where they strictly check the number of people per room? It's not necessary that all 3 of us go to the front desk during check in.

I'm asking because I'm not sure how big of an issue this could be.

We are looking at 2 nights NYC, 1 night Philadelphia, 2 nights Washington DC and 2 or 3 nights San Francisco.

To deny a room is rare and extreme, but a hotel would certainly be within their right to do so if they chose, and a more likely scenario is that they would force you to pay for an upgrade to a different room class or for having more than double occupancy.

I would NOT book a room for double occupancy when i would be triple occupancy in some of the cities above, especially NYC. I would also search HOTWIRE as sometimes the price at some properties doesn't increase at all, or not buy much, when switching from double occupancy to triple occupancy.

If/when you want to move forward please start a NEW TOPIC for each stay in the appropriate state category.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]