Hotwire Hotel: When to book? How far out?

becpee
By becpee,
in

It's been a while since i've used Hotwire or the betterbidding site, but have had success before so am excited to try my luck again.

My family and I will be travelling to NYC in October and i'm wondering what the best timeframe to book would be?

I've been looking lately but the prices are still quite high.

Any insight appreciated :)

Thanks all

As far as when to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

What are the actual dates(s) of your stay and what prices are you expecting? What prices are you seeing?

Which star ratings and zones are acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too! (please click each of these previous links before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply.

We're looking at checkin on 1 Oct checkout 5 Oct, 2 adults, 1 child

4 * rating (or above) around Times Square and currently getting rates of close to $1700 which is still pretty steep.

Looking for the price to come down around $300-$400 (hopefully).

I know it's a bit of a luck game but the mystery is part of the fun.

The Fall/early Winter is one of the most expensive periods of the year, with the peak being the first couple of weeks of December. $300-400 for the full stay is unfortunately going to be very unlikely. Realistically, you're likely looking at - depending on star rating, zone and other factors, more along the lines of $700-1000+.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

LOL you may have misunderstood me, i'm looking for it to drop to about $1200-$1300 inc tax (about $300 per night max would be ideal, less for a higher star rated hotel would be even better).

You're not saying $700 per night are you? Might have to sell my first born for that sort of rate :P

No, it won't take $700/nite, $300-$400 is more the likely range (if you re-read your post above you mention the $1700 all-in price, then refer to the $300-$400 per nite price, but don't mention all-in or per nite, thus the confusion), but this won't be a 'standard' case given the occupancy issue below:

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. This is a significant issue in NYC where most hotels have a high percentage of rooms with only one bed, little/no room for a rollaway (some hotels don't even carry them), and rooms with two beds are often considered an upgrade.

Is this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Let us know your thoughts on the above, as well as what star rating you're seeking/expecting, and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see where I confused you.

Depending on if you're looking at Hotwire.com or .au (i'm in Aussie) the /au site has tax included and the .com adds tax on later which adds an extra $200 at least, if I could get $300 per night inc tax on a 4* so $1200 tops that would be a great buy (is that realistic though?)

I'll definately be using Hotwire as I can't chance not having space for 3 bodies to sleep

So 4* or above checkin 1 Oct checkout 5 October 2 adults 1 child

Thanks for your help, still researching :)

With HOTWIRE the prices are fixes/given... so if you go use the search box on the top right of this board and include your dates and 2adults/1child in the search, does anything appear within your desired zones and budget?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I'm wanting a 4* around Times Square and the prices are still looking to be a bit high, i'm thinking of risking PRICELINE instead even with there being 2 adults and 1 child the savings could be worth a little sleeping discomfort if the worst case scenario happened

Just wondering also why i'm getting different hotels and different prices when I go through the links here compared to when I just go through entering the web address?

Also if I did decide to go the PRICELINE route when would be a good time to start bidding being that the checkin date is still more than 2 months away?

This is an expensive time of year and i'd start to bid now... as long as your plans are firm, and you don't overbid, you don't have much to loose. For a further discussion on 'when to bid' see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Once you're ready to move forward let us know which zones, by PRICELINE name, you are willing to accept and what is your maximum bid per nite... we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Checkin Monday 1 October, checkout Friday 5 October

We're wanting a 4*, first preference is Times square, but will also go for Midtown west and Central Park South.

Aiming for about $220 per night (the amounts we bid don't include tax, do they?)

Is this realistic and doable?

Currently these are very expensive dates in the city and although i think that $220 will likely fall short, it's certainly worth a try. If you want to give it a go, are you willing to pay more to stay in the Times Square zone vs. MTW vs. CPS... or is your goal the least expensive 4* or better for these dates in any of these three zones?

Also, since i think these will likely be difficult dates, is there a reason that you're avoiding ESB and/or MTE as these zones are also frequently bid at the 4* level and are considered to be well located... or do these not work well for your needs for some reason or a hotel in the zone you're trying to avoid?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Of course i would have to pick the most pricey time to visit :wacko:

TS is my goal area BUT I know that the other two areas i've listed are also very closely located to there.

I am worried the ESB or MTE might be a little far away (from what I don't know, i've never been) i'm playing by maps here, we'll be doing a bit of travel on foot with a 6 year old, I don't know how big the blocks are and i'd like to make it as painless as possible :lol:

Basically the less I pay the better for a well located hotel, something close to good food, transport, if this is covered in these areas we'll be happy.

At the 4* level the 'known' hotels in the MTE and ESB zones are generally considered well located... at the 3.5* level MTE then can become a bit far east.

Before moving forward, note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. Is this a risk you're willing to accept? If not, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed, and if with PRICELINE confirm the zones you're willing to accept, and we'll take it from there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]