Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Chicago (Airport Midway MDW Area) Chicago Marriott Midway

Sota327
By Sota327,
in

Booked this at 9:30 a.m. today (6/7/12) for stay tonight.

We were only looking to stay near Midway airport and were willing to accept 3.5, 3.0 2.5 or 2.0* hotels, but were nervous about getting the Clarion (a 3* and the former Four Points -- forum moderators, please update the Priceline Hotel list for Chicago Midway area as the Clarion has been reported on this forum, but is not yet on the list). So, my husband bid on his account last night up to $65 using all free zones avaialable per star level. At both 2.5 * and 3*,when bidding $60, wewe received counteroffers at $86. We declined both times and used last free rebid zones at $65 with no success, deciding to wait until this morning to see if more would become available at a lower price. $86 is where we ended up today, but at a much nicer hotel, I think.

This morning I bid on my account at follows:

3.5 Star

Midway, bid $40 rejected

Midway + zone 1, bid $45 rejected

Because price was the primary concern, versus star level, I closed the browser and restarted new sessions bidding the same as above at 3*, 2.5* and 2*, all rejected

Back to 3.5 Star

Midway + zone 6, bid $50 rejected

Midway + zone 6 + zone 1, bid $55 rejected

Again, because price was the primary concern, versus star level, I closed the browser and restarted new sessions bidding the same as above at 3*, 2.5* and 2*, all rejected

Back to 3.5 Star

Midway + zone 3, bid $60 rejected

Midway + zone 3 + zone 1, bid $65 rejected

Again, because price was the primary concern, versus star level, I closed the browser and restarted new sessions bidding the same as above at 3*, 2.5* (no free rebid in zone 3 for the 2*, so I'm no longer bidding 2* hotels), all rejected.

Back to 3.5 Star

Midway + zone 6 + zone 3, bid $70, received counteroffer at $96, I declined

Midway + zone 6 + zone 3 + zone 1, bid $75 rejected

Again, because price was the primary concern, versus star level, I closed the browser and restarted new sessions bidding the same as above at 3*, 2.5* (when bidding $70 for both 3 and 2.5*, I got counteroffer for $92, I declined and getting nervious it was the Clarion, I bid $77 in response to counter at 3*, rejected and started with $75 at 2.5 *, but all rejected and I opted to save my final free rebid as I would rather pay a little more for the reported 3.5* hotels than have gotten stuck with the Clarion)

Back to 3.5 Star (as I know $96 is a win, I'm now only increasing by $2 per bid and I have 8 free rebid combinations left)

Midway + zone 11 bid $80, received counteroffer at $96, I declined

Midway + zone 11 + zone 1, bid $82, rejected

closed browser, restarted session for 3.*

Midway + zone 11 + zone 3, bid $84, rejected

Midway + zone 11 + zone 3 + zone 1, bid $86, win.

Here are the details:

Chicago Marriott Midway Midway Airport Area (MDW)

6520 South Cicero Avenue, Chicago, IL 60638

708-594-5500

Offer Price:

avg. per room, per night $86.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 1 + Add nights for the same rate!

Room Subtotal: $86.00

Taxes & Fees: $21.53

Total Charged to Card: $107.53

Rooms are apparently all recently renovated and tripadvisor reviews are good.

Parking is $12, but I was prepared for that. Given the apparent high cost in this area for tonight, I'm happy with this win and glad to pay the $12 for parking to be closer to Midway (we plan to park and take the shuttle to airport and train into the city for the day/evening).

I'm not sure why tonight is so expensive in this area, but it seems odd that some won the Palmer House Hilton for $84, but that the Marriott Midway was $86. Downtown wasn't really an option for us this trip as we were driving (going to Soccer game at Toyota Park tomorrow) and its at least $40 to park at most hotels downtown. In the end, I think we did the best we could. Price at Marriott's website for standard room was $179 before taxes/fees. So we definitely saved money!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you are pleased with the results and hopefully your stay is going well.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding. (and for the note on updating the Priceline Hotel List to reflect the Clarion, which we have done)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is a great hotel. After I secured the win, I called the hotel to request to queens. I was told they would add the request to my reservation, but that they were -5 on 2Q rooms. We were able to check-in about 2 hours before check-in time, although not immediately when we arrived. That was fine by us because the receptionist said we could get 2 queens. So, we grabbed a coffee at the Starbucks at the hotel, made plans for the rest of the day and within 45 minutes the room was ready. The staff was very nice and the renovations to this hotel are great. We are very pleased with the win (although this is alot for an airport hotel, one of the highest prices I've ever paid for any airport hotel on priceline (and in the past we've usually been able to get 4* near ORD for around $60), but I assume there are factors at play that dictate the rate).

And, because I know some people like to know bid strategy, I have to correct a typo above. On my last bidding session, I was bidding 3.5*, not 3*, so it should have read as follows:

closed browser, restarted session for 3.5*

Midway + zone 11 + zone 3, bid $84, rejected

Midway + zone 11 + zone 3 + zone 1, bid $86, win.

I hope this helps.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]