Priceline Hotel: 3* No. Virginia (Tysons Corner - FC) Doubletree

fuzzylogik
By fuzzylogik,
in

I needed a hotel between August 15-20 in the DC area. I just successfully bid for a hotel on Priceline that I believe is a new addition; it does not seem to appear in other parts of this forum. It's the Doubletree in Tyson's Corner (for those in the know, it's technically in Falls Chruch JUST inside the beltway at 7801 Leesburg Pike, 703-893-1340). I was trying for the Hyatt Fair Lakes, which is a 4*. I tried three days before and got turned down on all my $50 combination outside of the beltway (I-495), so I started with Fairfax 3* and 4* at $60 and was declined. I then added Tyson's Corner at $64 and was accepted. I like other Doubletree's and the general location, so this worked out great for me. And since the rack rate on the internet was $149/night, I got off easy (42% of rack rate). :)

Fuzzylogik

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and adding this new hotel to our lists. This is 3* rated, correct?

You may have been able to benefit by bidding this zone on its own before adding it in combination with your other bids... trying it cheaper first and then using the combination bids to try again at higher prices.

Feel free to ask for help before bidding for your next stay.

There is a small chain (7-8 locations?) of Mexican restaurant (i want to say Rosa's or something like that) which has some pretty good, and cheap, Mexican food. Wouldn't necessarily go there on a dinner date, but for lunch it's a decent choice.

Enjoy your stay and thanks again for posting.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I live near the Doubletree. It's not really new, but looks good from the outside (I've never been inside.) There's lots of restaurants and shopping nearby, and the West Falls Church Metro station, which has a large parking lot, is only 5 minutes drive. Much more is close by than at the relatively isolated Hyatt Fair Lakes, which you were trying to get, and at which I have stayed. Unless it's outstandingly close to your objective, don't feel bad about missing that one. It is fine but nothing special, clearly overrated by Priceline at 4*. I have won three nearby (Dulles area) Priceline 3* all of which I thought were much more desirable (Hilton Dulles, Marriott Suites in Herndon, Marriott Westfields in Chantilly) and the Doubletree may be too.

I agree with Travelguy that the chain thereuare was trying to think of is almost certainly Anita's, which actually specializes in the food of the state of New Mexico. They have an interesting menu and represent an excellent value. Unfortunately, there isn't one really close to the Doubletree--the closest is in Vienna, about 10 minutes drive away, but it's the largest and nicest in the chain. From the Doubletree, go west on Leesburg Pike (Rt.7) and then south towards Vienna on Rt. 123 (Which is Chain Bridge Rd. at Tyson's Corner, but changes name to Maple Avenue in Vienna.) You'll see Anita's on the left just as you start to enter downtown Vienna.

The best restaurant close to the Doubletree is Tara Thai, one of an excellent local Thai chain, in a small shopping center just a couple of minutes drive south on Leesburg Pike from the Doubletree. A little upscale from Anita's, enough so to work as a date restaurant, but still not very pricey, and an excellent value.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]