CA San Jose Residence Inn Silicon Valley Newark

carpediem888
By carpediem888,
in

This was my second stop on the GART (Great American Road Trip) after Morro Bay and experiencing the beauty and terror of the mountainous California Highway 1 for a full day. Who needs amusement park roller coasters when you've got this to drive?

After a quick look-around in Monterey, I stopped for 2 days at this property. Won it via the Priceline lottery: $47 per night at an iffy 3-star level. Lately, I think Priceline is suffering from grade inflation. And, if I had to do it again, I might raise my standards to a 3.5 star level along with my bid.

Pros:

1. Easy access from the highway and lots of close restaurants, banks, gas stations, and grocery stores.

2. Suites that have flatware, plates, glasses, cups, pots and pans. A full-size refrigerator, microwave, and cooktop are available, too.

3. Wireless access is solidly reliable and fast; Ethernet cable in room not evident.

4. Lots of lamps and good lighting overall.

5. Plentiful towels and great shower pressure.

6. Self-serve laundry is available on the second floor and requires use of your key for access. Each load costs $2 for a wash and $2 for a dry. Cycle times are posted, which was an excellent mark of logical thinking.

7. Standard array of breakfast buffet items: eggs, sausage, potatoes, oatmeal, waffles, fruit, bagels, bread, juice, and coffee.

Cons:

1. Room carpets are well past their prime - please put them out of their misery. Now.

2. Elevator interiors are heavily scratched - akin to public housing facilities.

3. Heavy discounting of room rates bring out dubious characters: one might use the word "ghetto" to give you a flavor of what I'm talking about.

4. Pull out couch and chair are both saggy and looked like 1990s era refugees; take a pro-tip: don't sit on them unless you're wearing something that you'll be burning after wearing.

5. Weekends draw some large extended family gatherings at the pool - can be noisy and heard even from my 5th floor room.

6. A subtext of car break-ins: front desk clerk issued me a parking permit and mentioned that it would be useful in contacting owner if criminals attacked my car. (Yikes!) I parked my rental Versa next to an expensive Mercedes, hoping that thieves would gravitate towards it instead.

7. Saw a police cruiser in the parking lot on Saturday evening around 915 PM - I don't know whether that was a result of the loud extended family gathering at the pool (#5) or another car incident (#6). After verifying my car's health the next day, I didn't want to jinx myself by asking.

All in all, letting the property deteriorate is a downward spiral. If management invests in renovations, it could charge more for all clients (Priceline or not).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]