Wanting a King Room at "The James"

temptar
By temptar,
in

Good evening everyone,

While I have worked to read and learn here, I have never actually "bid" on a hotel.

We will be traveling to Chicago October 3rd and leaving October 7th. (2 Adults) I would like a King Room at "The James", however, I am very unclear as to where I should begin.

I would hate to begin booking and end up with a double bed tiny room. 1 King Bed would be fantastic, of course the bigger the room the better as this is a surprise stay for a bithday. The Birthday guy is named "James." (I know corny, but hey) LOL

Any help that you can give to help me would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Hotwire Chicago thread (post what you decided for that stay within that thread, then reply to this thread.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you for the direction. I had "lost" this site and sincerely apologize for the delay in response. I have book marked this and working to make this my first stop always.

Thank you again for any help and direction.

A few thoughts:

The significant problem with these dates is that the Marathon is taking place on 10/7, which will see serious traffic and high rates for people coming in on the 6th. Rates are fairly high when looking up this entire period together. What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

There is no way to ensure a particular property when using PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, but with HOTWIRE you can make an educated guess as to which hotels are showing. However, bed type isn't guaranteed - the hotel can say no or charge more. I do see a potential match for the James for $239 for these dates. Would that be within your desired budget, and would you be willing to risk not getting a king bed room?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

$200 a night or under would be preferred. If staying at the James is not possible I would be willing to get the best room/suite (King bed preferred if there is any way) at another HIGH Star property in this same area. We have quite a bit of flexibility with location and could go a bit North if needed as some of our time will be towards boystown.

We are looking to experience a luxurious stay which always seems to start with the best room. In advance I do thank you and apologize as I have never done any type of bidding before.

With PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

The deep discounts you often see on the board are in exchange for giving up the ability to choose a specific hotel, room type/bed configuration, vies, etc.

With the above noted, what i'm guessing to be The James is offered on HOTWIRE for $239/nite... with this be of interest to try to target this property OR are you willing to accept any hotel in the zone(s) that you bid?

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll re-iterate that you have to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating, or higher, that you bid... which means you could get a 4* 'business' hotel which may not be the type of experience you're seeking... or perhaps not ideal but you're willing to take the chance in exchange for the discounted rate.

If you're ready to give it a try, seeking a 4* hotel in the NMA zone with a maximum bid of $200/nite:

At the 4* level in Chicago you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone5...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone6...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and re-bid zone5 and re-bid zone6...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the great input along with the tips.

I am a bit nervous now. Currently I am being met with having to rebid with a 4th zone, there really arent 4 zones that I want to stay in. There are 3 that I am happy with but again I am getting a bit nervous to add a 4th zone. If I am understanding "generally" and without guarantee, following the suggestions above we are still directing our bid towards the preferred zone since we are maintaining the star level?

Thank you again for your direction.

I think it pays to review re-bidding (Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) so let's go thru a little exercise, stick with us on this...

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Chicago, IL' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

Franklin Park Area– 1 Star

Greater Chicago– 4 Star delux

Hyde Park– 2 Star Moderate

Lincoln Park– 3 1/2 Star Upscale-Plus

Midway Airport Area (MDW)– 3 1/2 Star Upscale-Plus

Midway Airport North– 1 Star

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area– 4 Star Deluxe

North Michigan Ave - River North Area– 4 Star Deluxe

O'Hare Airport (ORD) North– 4 Star Deluxe

O'Hare Airport (ORD) South- 4 Star Deluxe

Skokie - Niles - Evanston– 3 Star Upscale

North Michigan Ave Zone is preferred, Millennium Park Loop/grant Park Next/ and Lincoln park 3rd.

So now let's assume that you bid (i'm just making the numbers up):

4* NMA at $100 and are rejected.

You then bid:

4* NMA and Franklin Park at $105

Should this second bid win, do you see how the hotel would have to be in the NMA zone since Franklin Park (based upon the research you did above) does not have any hotels that meet the minimum threshold (4*) that you have designated for this bid.

The image in this Priceline Bidding Picture may also help.

Does the above make sense and make it clearer? If so, do you see how you have SIX re-bid zones available to use (as there are six zones which only contain hotels rated less than 4*) when bidding for a 4* hotel in Chicago?

A couple of notes -

I'm seeing a new 4* in the Mag Mile-Water Tower area for these dates for $161, although I'm guessing it may be an upgraded Hilton Suites. There is also a 4* in the Downtown-Loop area for these dates now showing for $191 that *may* be a new amenity set for the Hard Rock.

I'm also seeing the Omni for $218 on HOTWIRE for the first couple of dates - while not optimal to have to switch hotels, that may lead to better overall rates in this case due to the Marathon on the 7th.

Please let us know if any of these HOTWIRE listings would be of interest.

Additionally, as for bidding for a 4* in the NMA-River North area, would the Whitehall or Millennium Knickerbocker be acceptable possibilities? The Drake is a very nice hotel as well, although rooms are small. There are other 4*'s in the zone that may not be acceptable if you are looking for something similar to the James, as well.

This really is helpful information. The ideal for us is a luxury stay in the NMA area as we will be walking during the day and willing to take a cab north when we need to. The Hilton Suites appear to be nicely located. The larger the rooms the better of course. I am working to rebid for this zone as we speak. I will keep you posted as I learn more.

Happy to help! :)

I'll look around a bit more to see this morning if there are any other options. I think PRICELINE is a great choice, but it's a real roll of the dice when it comes to looking for a particular style of property, as you could bid a higher amount (unfortunately, the marathon is driving up rates on the second half of the stay) and get something like the Whitehall (or luck out and get something like the W or James.) But, if you were to get (for example), the Whitehall, would you have rather paid more to have a better sense of what you're getting on HOTWIRE?

I'll be back shortly.

Some different options showing today.

HOTWIRE:

Edited to add: I'll also note that the Hilton Suites listing may also be a possible match for the Hyatt Mag Mile (formerly the Wyndham), which now appears to have moved zones.

10/3-7

potential James - $241

potential downgraded Avenue - $195

10/3-6

potential Hilton Suites (? - this listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board - my guess is an upgraded Hilton Suites) $146

potential Hotel 71 - $154

potential James - $239

potential downgraded Avenue - $164

10/3-5

potential Hotel Lincoln (in the Lincoln Park neighborhood to the North of the city) $143

potential Omni - $218

potential avenue - $163

potential Radisson Blu Aqua or Blackstone Renaissance - unID'd listing with 4.5/5 tipadvisor rating - $170.

10/6-7

Potential James - $299

Additionally, if splitting your stay is of interest, you could try bidding for half the stay (if you get something you aren't thrilled with, you wouldn't have to stay there the full time period) and go with HOTWIRE or Regular rate for something that is more what you are looking for for the other half. Just throwing out ideas - let us know your thoughts.

Edited to add 2:

More expensive than you were looking for, but The Amalfi is $272 on Hotels.com for 10/4-7 and coupon SUMMER40US10 takes 10% off - $244.8 per night (do make sure the coupon works and is reflected in the total before checking out) for a king room plus free breakfast and an evening reception. What appears to be the Hotel 71 is showing for $136 for the first night. $870.4 total (before taxes/fees) /4 nights = $217.6 per night, but you do get breakfast on each floor at the Amalfi each morning. Just another combination idea.

Thank you for using the site's hotels.com HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thank you again for all of the help. I have decided to bite the bullet and up the amount I am willing to spend, (as it seems I really need to). The Amalfi is absolutely a front runner. One final question and I will stop pertering everyone. Do you know of any of these hotels that offer Smoking Rooms? (I am unsure if all of Chicago is 100% smoke free now). I am now willing to go $250-$300 per night, but I do prefer to have more of a guarantee where we will be.

Thank you in again for the fantastic help through all of this.

Amalfi is smoke-free - that property has rarely ever appeared on HOTWIRE or PRICELINE. Chicago does have a public smoking ban and many downtown hotels are smoke-free - I believe the Hiltons have smoking, and Hotel 71 offers smoking, I believe. (I do see what appears to be the 71 on HOTWIRE for these dates, but not for the entire period.) The James, which is also potentially showing on these dates on HOTWIRE, is smoke-free.

http://gochicago.about.com/b/2008/01/25/word-to-the-wise-heed-chicago-hotels-smoking-ban.htm

The Amalfi is actually available for $277 on Hotels.com (definitely use the hotels.com coupon code as noted above and make sure it is reflected in the total when checking out) when searching for all of the dates, and with the coupon that is $249.30 per night. I'm seeing that this is a refundable reservation, but definitely read the fine print. While the marathon period is one of the busiest of the year and rates will likely remain high (and I'd suggest locking something in), if something did happen to come up, this would give you some flexibility - if not, this is a very nice property that offers freebies.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Hotels.com links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]