Newbie: GJT Rejected: Economy $10./Compact $11.

Gardsome
By Gardsome,
in

Brand new to both Better Bidding and Priceline. Decided to start with a car rental. Pickup in Grand Junction, Colorado (airport GJT) on 7/4/12 3:00 pm, return 7/10/12 7:30am.

I'm on a strict budget, so I decided to try a very low price since I have a few days.

Bid $9./day for economy: rejected

Bid $10./day for compact: rejected

Waited 48 hours--I guess you only have to wait 24, if I have that right

Bid $10./day for economy: rejected

Bid $11./day for compact: rejected

I had checked the retail rates on both Priceline and Hotware and know I am nowhere near them yet, but was hoping to get a really lucky rate.

If I change from July 4 pickup to July 5 pickup, do you think it would increase my chances since it shifts the pickup from a holiday? I don't absolutely have to have a car on July 4 as my hotel is very close to the airport. Do I have to change both pickup and dropoff dates to bid again prior to the 24 hours?

Is it likely that Grand Junction, CO being a small city in western Colorado will not have any deals like a larger, busier city such as Miami or Houston that might have more cars?

Just having fun here getting my feet wet. Your site has taught me a lot about Priceline already. Do you have any suggestions for more effective bidding on this trip?

I have used your PRICELINE car rental link each time I've bid.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If there are few rental car companies at the airport there is less competition and car companies may be less likely to offer deep discounts vs. other cities where all rental agencies have representation. However, i think the bigger issue for your rental above is simply that your bids are too low. I'm seeing rates starting at about $30/day, making your bids only a third of prevailing rates, and while we do sometimes see discounts this deep for rental cars, it's more the exception than the rule... what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels for this rental period?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

I guess I was hoping for at least as low as $20/day. Priceline sent me an email saying someone found lower rates and they are $26.95/day, I think it was. I might end up just going with their published rate or maybe I'll try their bidding process one more time. In any case, thank you for helping. I'm afraid my learning curve with all this is very steep! :lol:

Assuming the rate is refundable (most car rental reservations are) why not book the current rate as a back-up and continue to try PRICELINE for a better deal up until the point of arrival or the point you're not able to cancel the back-up reservation... there is a pretty wide gap between your $10 bids and your maximum bid of $20. You could increase your bids by $2 every 24 hours and be at your maximum bid in 3-4 days.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One more question, please, Obi Wan Kenobi of Better Bidding. I first made the "backup reservation" with Thrifty through the link on your Support Page. They offered a "$10.00 Rebate" obtained for calling their 866 number. I'm sort of scared to call because I might get roped into buying a timeshare in Florida or handing over my credit card for early payment or giving up my firstborn son--oh wait, I forgot to have kids--scratch that fear--or, any number of other dire consequences. I suppose they want e-mail information or some other catch? Once again--oh, wait--I gave my e-mail address when I made the reservation. Okay, in all seriousness, why are they offering the "rebate?"

I can't say for certain, but my guess is that it's not a rebate directly from Thrifty but rather with one of their 'partners' (read: advertising) who will give you a $10 rebate in exchange for signing up for their 'service'. The service can be for a variety of things, but the common link is that it's $xx per month and you will be billed every month until you remember to cancel it.

If the wording was "You are eligible for a $10 rebate..." then i'd have increased confidence that the scenario above is most likely.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yes, I think that is exactly what I'm dealing with here--an attractive lure from some partner of theirs. :o Thanks.

I'm still bidding and being rejected on Priceline--still using your link after your signature.

Latest was Economy: $13/day: rejected. Compact: $15/day: rejected. Mid-size: $15./day: rejected. Will keep trying.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]