Priceline Hotel: Question regarding bidding for Grand Hyatt Kauai

karrun01
By karrun01,
in

Hi,

I was hoping I could ask the sages on this board for a bit of advice. I am a bit anal when it comes to planning a trip. I like to have all my ducks in a row well in advance. My question is whether it is better to bid well in advance of my stay or wait until much closer to my trip.

We are traveling to Kauai next April and I already have two days booked at the Hyatt on Kauai through the Chase Hyatt credit card deal from April 12-14. We arrive in Kauai on the 11th at 7:30, so my thinking was to stay at an inexpensive hotel near the airport that evening before traveling to the Hyatt for our 2 day stay. But even airport hotels/motels seem to cost at least $100, and my thinking is, if I can book the Hyatt through PL or HW for around $160-$180 (doesn't seem too unreasonable based on won bids I've come across here) it would be worth the extra money. So will my chances of winning a bid for this price range be pretty slim this far out? Should I wait (and if so, how long?) to maximize my chances?

Thanks in advance for helping make our dream vacation a reality.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

In regards to timing, see the related link in our prielinefaq. However, if you were to receive a win for a Resort in the Poipu section of Kauai for $160-$180 i would think this would be a very nice deal... so little risk in bidding now/early, imo.

Note that you can't bid on a specific hotel when using PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates. While the Grand Hyatt may be the only Resort class property reported to the board in this zone, there could always be others not yet reported to the board (or a hotel previously reported could have been upgraded since last reported)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.... (and please click each of these previous links before replying).

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, so just to make sure I understand, since it appears at this time (although I understand this can change) that the Grand Hyatt is the only resort class hotel in the Poipu area, and this is the resort that I definitely want to win, there is no harm in making a bid at my low end right now. Then, assuming I don't win, I won't use the rebid feature at this point so I will need to wait 24 hours, at which time I can bid again. Then, as I get close to my trip, I can use the rebid feature sooner than 24 hours to make a higher bid until I (hopefully) win my bid. Do I have that right? If so, I will follow your link to PL, and begin the bidding!

...there is no harm in making a bid at my low end right now.

This assumes that the Hyatt is the only Resort in the zone, as well as that your plans are firm (as your reservation is non-refundable)

Then, assuming I don't win, I won't use the rebid feature at this point so I will need to wait 24 hours, at which time I can bid again.

Why not use the re-bid feature? (you have ONE re-bid zones when bidding Resort in this region)

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Okay, I did some reading on the rebid option and I sort of understand it, but just want to make sure that I do before trying it.

From what I understand, I am allowed one additional rebid within 24 hours as long as I change a zone, star level or date. If I defintely want my hotel win to be the Hyatt Grand Kauai, I need to make sure my rebid is in a zone that doesn't have a minimum star level that equals or is greater than the Hyatt. But what I am not sure of is what equivalent star level a resort is. I see the Princeville area has nothing better than a 3 1/2 star. Will I definitely be all right if I choose this zone?

I am allowed one additional rebid within 24 hours as long as I change a zone, star level or date.

To clarify, you're "allowed" as many re-bid zones as there are zones that only contain star levels lower than the star level you're bidding... it just so happens in this instance that there is only one such zone in the region that only has hotels rated lower than 'Resort' (which in the PRICELINE hierarchy is treated as a 4.5* level hotel)... so yes, Princeville is your one re-bid zone bidding bidding Resort in the Kauai area, but you always need to double check to make sure that nothing has changed since you last looked.

Did you want to start bidding now with a maximum bid of $180 for a Resort class property in the Poipu zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

• 6 months later...

Do you have a back-up reservation or plan in place?

If so, where and for how much? If not, you can try using our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com to see if there is anything convenient for you and of interest near your desired location.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]