Priceline Hotel: Help needed for Toledo & Sandusky

Shoob
By Shoob,
in

Hello all!

I know this is the place to come to for help bidding! Thanks for all the help in the past guys!

Now, I need help for a trip coming up in about a week and a half. So, we are looking for a hotel in Sandusky on Thursday 6/21 (check-out 6/22), and after the park, drive to Toledo and stay there for the night (6/22 check-in, 6/23 check-out).

I would like a 3 star rating in Toledo, but I'm not sure what is decent in Sandusky (I've been pretty good with 3 star ratings elsewhere). Would it be realistic to nail a room for under $60/per night? That's our budget...

This trip plan came about suddenly... and we'd like to make this trip for a special reason. Anyways, any help would be great, like usual. Also, I know that Priceline books only double occupancy... but do you think we could get away with two extra people? Any time I've book through priceline, I've gotten two separate beds in a room... if that's the case, we can always accommodate the extra persons. Please advise me on how to approach this matter.

-Shoob

Well, welcome back Shoob.

I'll toss a couple things out. But since (as you may recall) I'm a member, not an official here. So I'm sure you will also be hearing more from them.

For starters, they like to keep each thread for just one specific stay. So maybe you could start another thread for the second stay. Since you've used the word "Toledo" first in this one's title, maybe it would be good to keep it for the Toledo stay and start the other one for the Sandusky stay.

You might want to take a look at the hotel lists to see what other members have reported as wins. There are two - one for Hotwire and one for Priceline, and they are at the very beginning of the Ohio area. They also are repeated in the Hotwire - Ohio area and this Priceline - Ohio area. I looked at them and see only up to 2 1/2* wins have been reported for Sandusky, although 3* bidding is available in one of the areas. Still, they will give you a general idea of what you might get. You can track them on into the Hotel Review area at the end of this site, and also into www.tripadvisor.com, if you'd like a little more info.

To get a rough idea of what might work, you could try your dates in Hotwire. The caveat is that Hotwire sometimes is more generous with stars than Priceline is. So - still roughly - the 3 1/2* you see in Hotwire might be a 3* in Priceline.

Maybe you could also add the Toledo zones you are considering to this thread, and the Sandusky zones you are considering to the new thread.

The two bed thing is always iffy. As you know, Priceline rooms are only promised for two people. I suppose you could bid and get the one room and then check with the hotel? If you choose to use Hotwire, you can specify up to 4 people. Then they will provide at least a fold-out, if not an actual second bed, for the additional people.

Romelle

Please start by following-up your previous Priceline Detroit thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip.

Then we'll use this thread for your first stay, Sandusky on 6/21... please start a NEW TOPIC for your Toledo stay of 6/22.

For Sandusky, there are two zones: Sandusky-Huron and Sandusky-Milan-Norwalk. As of this writing, the the highest rated hotel in the first zone is 3*, the highest rating in the 2nd zone is 2.5*... did you want to first try for a 3* in the first zone and then if rejected try for a 2.5* in either zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Romelle,

Thanks for welcoming me back... and thanks for your advice. I'll go with what Thereuare said (he's the official!). I'll keep this thread for Sandusky, and the new one for Toledo.

Thereuare: thanks for reminding me of the other open thread. I posted my win in that thread. Please take a look at it. Now, for Sandusky... I'd like to shoot for a 3* as usual. If I can get it in the price I stated above, that would be ideal. Also, can you give me advice on how to deal with the fact that we will have two other people with us? That's a bit of a concern. The budget is kinda of fixed, so we need to figure something out with what we've got.

If we can't nail something in the 3* range, we can drop down to the 2.5*, but I'd really like to nail a 3* if possible. So, let's start with Sandusky-Huron, and then use the other as a back up. Also... on PL, if you look at the "Express deals" for Sandusky, there are a couple 2.5* under $60... so I'm guessing I can bid much less than than and possibly win... is that right? My logic is: if they are willing to offer that directly without a bid, they might be able to offer rooms at a lower rate... let me know what you think.

I'll be awaiting a response anxiously because the date is coming up quick!

Thanks!!!

...can you give me advice on how to deal with the fact that we will have two other people with us?

This could be an issue...

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request.

If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

If you start by searching HOTWIRE for quad occupancy, does anything appear within your desired zone(s), star rating and budget?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I checked HOTWIRE, and nothing appears for quad occupancy that I would like to pay. There is one that is $63, but I'm unsure which that hotel might be...

Up till now, I've been lucky with PL in that I have gotten a room with two beds... maybe I should roll the dice with this one? Let's move forward with PRICELINE, especially if the chance to get a decent hotel with a decent rate is greater.

Thanks!

Using your ONE re-bid zone i would try as follows:

Select 3* Sandusky - Huron...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try:

Select 3* Sandusky - Huron...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you aren't successful at the $60 3* bid, you could get started on the 2.5*s. You'll need to close your browser or sign out and then link back into PRICELINE first. The reason for this is you need to get that rebid zone unchecked. It really has a 2.5* available for bidding, and you don't want to win there. Then maybe bid $50? $55? You've only got one bid at this level and you don't have a lot of time left. Hotwire showed only a 2* available and that was $73, so you are likely to have to get closer to that with your PL bidding.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle. You're right in that I don't have very much time remaining. I'm waiting for the 24 hour period right now... wish me luck. I would really like to win at this. I guess if I have to move down to the 2.5 level, I'll have to do it. And if I still don't win in Sandusky-Huron, then I'll have to try in the other area (I guess it's not too far away from the park, right?). If you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions, please let me know! Thanks again!

If I were bidding it, I'd have started working the 2.5*s simultaneously along with the 3*s with maybe a $10 difference. Right now, I'd start at $55 so that I'd get to $75 by the end. The reason for the max is the available 2* Hotwire hotel at $73.

I'd also start considering that other zone, maybe giving bids in it a "distance inconvenience penalty".

The 2* Hotwire is still out there at $73 for 2 people, along with a 3* for $126. When I put in 4 people, there is still a 2* at $73, the 3 * goes away, and they add a 1* at $50. The 4 person 2* has different amenities than the 2 person 2*, so may be a different hotel.

Romelle

I'd try $50 for a 2.5* in the Sandusky-Huron zone.

If that is rejected and you're willing to accept the Sandusky-Milan-Norwalk zone, i'd close the browser and try $50 there too.

If that too is rejected i'd add Sandusky-Huron (so you're now bidding both zones) and try $55 or $60.

If that too fails i'd use the BiddingHelper.com and see the Hotels.com tab as there are some budget rated hotels you can get for $68-$80 and you may be better 'choosing' the hotel based upon reviews, as well as possibly have the ability to choose something with two beds.

Another source is our MAPS and HOTELS.com as it will enable you to easy see how much more/less it will cost to stay closer/futher away from the park as well as go up/down in star rating.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

While not a 'bidding' purchase glad to see you found something that works for your needs and budget, and it appear the location will be very good for the purpose of your trip.

Thanks for the follow-up and 'concluding' this thread with your decision.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]