Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago Suburbs (Oakbrook - Downers Grove) Holiday Inn Oak Brook

purplelotus
By purplelotus,
in

We're coming to Chicago for at least 2 weeks starting 6/18. Will have car (but also have friends to leave it with if stay downtown) and am willing to stay in numerous suburbs. I have been bidding on Priceline for the past several days trying to get a hotel with no success. I first bid for 10 nights, 6/18-28. Bid $57 for 4* in Oak Brook, $56 for 3.5* in Oak Brook, and $45 for 3* in Oak Brook and Willowbrook. Bid $40 for 2.5* in Elmhurst and Willowbrook. Then I broke the trip up and bid for 6/18-25. I bid up to $62 for a 4* in Oak Brook, $60 for a 3.5*. Bid up to $50 for 3* in Oak Brook, Willowbrook,and Elmhurst. Also bid $44 for a 2.5* in Elmhurst. I have a reservation for 2 weeks at the LaQuinta in Oak Brook for $69. I've stayed there before, and it has a free breakfast and I get points which I do use so those are worth something so $69 is really below $60. I grew up in Chicago so I am very familiar with all areas and transportation options. I'd consider O'Hare or Midway area, but I notice a lot of those hotels charge for parking which could make a good deal bad -- and I need our car if we stay there. I've checked Hotwire and can't see much that appeals to me. I don't like some of the 2* and 2.5* hotels in Oak Brook so haven't bid there even though LaQuinta is a 2* I think. For example, Extended Stays are terrible, and Homestead Suites isn't good either unless they've changed but reviews don't indicate that. Want to stay at 3* minimum in Oak Brook. Any ideas as to what would win a bid in these areas. Am I close? Also bid for Schaumburg, Elmhurst, and Arlington Heights for 2 nights of 6/18-20 (have commitments out there). Bid up to $53 for 3*. No success.

I also bid downtown for 6/20-25. Bid up to $89 for 4* (got counter for $101 -- that's too much), $79 for 3.5*, and $74 for 3*. Bid 4* and 3.5* in both North Michigan and Millenium Park, but 3* only in North Michigan. Again don't like some of 3* hotels in Millenium area. I'm willing to pay more downtown than suburbs.

Not much data on site for suburbs and longer periods. Do not want to be moving hotels several times, but don't want to commit longer than 10 days in case I get a place I don't like.

Seems like prices are considerably higher than last year. I come to Chicago frequently. Two years ago I got 3* (Holiday Inn) in Oakbrook for $40 around same time of year.

I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks.

Are you coming in from the South? I tend to recommend the North burbs - really nice areas, lots of shopping/restaurants and easy (short drive) access to Metra stations (and one could drive to a CTA station, but a further (yet nice) drive.

In terms of PRICELINE, this would be the Skokie/Evanston/Niles zone (although the Evanston hotels in this zone would charge parking), North Shore (the specific zone; the region it is in is also called North Shore) and Deerfield. On HOTWIRE, this is Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect and Skokie/Evanston/Niles.

One concern of note in Skokie is the potential Holiday Inn North Shore, which was last reported as a 3* on both services and does not get very good reviews.

In the Deerfield zone on PRICELINE, while the Marriott Suites at the 3.5* level has gotten some negative reviews (I've had a couple of very enjoyable stays there, but that's just my experience), the Hyatt Deerfield and Embassy Suites Deerfield are the other two possibilities at the 3.5* level in that zone and both are very nice (the Hyatt was just renovated.) I'd suggest trying between $45-65, which is generally the level that is seen as wins for 3.5* in this zone. The $40-45 range is fairly common at the 3.5* level in this area on weekends in particular. Regular rates in this area are not always an indicator of what PRICELINE rates are.

The 3.5* level in the North Shore zone could also be considered, although personally I like the 3.5*'s in the Deerfield zone more.

You could also consider the NW burbs - Arlington Heights and Schaumburg are fine options, but they are further out from downtown than the North burbs. The IKEA in Schaumburg offers very cheap breakfast (their breakfast is free Monday during the morning and they have a 99c breakfast plate.) I really like the Hyatt Schaumburg (which is a 3.5* in that zone.)

As for Oakbrook, I can't imagine you're very far off at all, unless something's going on in the area during the period. I'm seeing a 2.5* Suite in Arlington Heights/Elk Grove Village for $45 for 6/18-20; not sure what it is (Suite + a number of other amenities), but it does show a 4/5 tripadvisor rating on the detail page, so it does get good reviews - possibly a new amenity set for the Jameson Suites Arlington Heights? Let us know if this is of interest.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry I didn't mention that most of my friends are in downtown, the western or southwestern suburbs. That is why I didn't bid in the northern or far northwestern suburbs other than for my 1-day commitment in Schaumburg on 6/19. I know the area very well, and I don't want to spend our time driving everywhere. METRA is great to go downtown from the northern suburbs, but a nightmare to go somewhere like Palos Heights or Hinsdale. And driving the expressways is crazy. I like healthy food too so if I don't get breakfast so we're willing to eat in the room (buy cereal and bread at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.) Maybe I will raise my bids slightly in Oak Brook and risk getting the Holiday Inn which I didn't particularly like -- I'd rather stay at the LaQuinta. Do you have any thoughts on downtown prices for my time period? HOTWIRE prices were $98 for 3* the other day. Should I bid again tomorrow at my price levels or am I being unrealistic and wasting my time?

OK, I won something, but my worst fears were confirmed. I got the Holiday Inn Oak Brook which we've stayed at before and don't consider a 3* hotel. I did a lot of rebidding. I'm paying $56.86/nt ($54 + $2.86 Club Entertainment bonus) for 7 nights from 6/18-25. Total cost was $436.38, and I used the Better Bidding PRICELINE link. The only upside is the hotel has an excellent location -- a nearby Pace bus line that goes to the El to get downtown (much cheaper and closer than METRA)- and it's near the expressways/tollways and Oak Brook Mall. No good breakfast restaurants nearby that I know of, but we'll eat in the room. Not sure what I'll do for the rest of my stay -- still have the LaQuinta for the following week -- but I won't bid again for a 3* in Oak Brook at this level. If hotel hasn't changed, will give it a low rating on PRICELINE survey.

• 3 weeks later...

The good news about this hotel is it is undergoing a renovation. Unfortunately none of the rooms are finished (there is new carpeting in the lobby) so the existing rooms and hotel corridors are still in poor shape. They are probably doing minimal upkeep on the rooms so I would not recommend this hotel now. I don't think it qualifies as a 3* although I haven't received a survey from Priceline to tell then this. The carpet is stained in the hallways and rooms, and the furniture is chipped. We had no hangers in our armoire closet, and one of the rods was missing. The beds are new which is good. Also, I had a fridge and microwave in our room although some rooms do not. The staff was very accommodating even though I booked this on Priceline and they mentioned it when I checked it. I checked out 4 rooms, and all were about the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I know why reviews are mixed at this place. I get this hotel often when staying in the area and the first time I checked in, I sent DH and he came back with room keys in hand. I went past the desk to ask about something and it came up that I was a Priority Club member and he said oh, let me change that and gave me keys to a different room. Now, every time I check in I make sure to give them my rewards # and always have a pleasant stay.

Their hot tub is broke - something about leaking underneath but they can't get permission from the city to dig underneath the building to fix it so now they are doing something else - can't remember what but I think building a new pool area or at least a new hot tub.

I did give them my Priority Club number when I checked in. As I said, the staff was nice and tried to accommodate me the best they could. However, this does not change the facts that the carpets are stained in the rooms and hallways, the furniture is old, and the place has a rundown aura about it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]