WY Jackson Grand Targhee Resort

beckman4463
By beckman4463,
in

Grand Targhee Resort is a beautiful resort. The staff was helpful even though it was the slow season. Food was good and swimming pool clean.

My biggest complaint with this location is that it does not have the amenities of a 2 1/2 star hotel. I just e-mailed priceline to let them know. The rooms do not have hair dryers or irons/ironing boards. I expected both of these and was disappointed.

Also, it is at least 1 hour drive through a winding pass to get to Jackson Hole...FYI

did you ask for those items? ... i know they have vcr's available and a coin laundry so they may have those items ... not sure i expect an iron to be in 2.5 star room anyway ...

room was in the Teewinot Lodge

and was nice and clean ... it has a tv ... the property is divided into different buildings ... and the lobby of the building we were in had nice chairs and couches plus a fireplace ...

we stayed there in July 05 and the staff was very nice ... the only gift shop on site was closed the day we checked out (getting new carpets) but someone went into the store and got the items we needed for us and told us to leave an envelope with our money.

you're right about it being far away but i was there on vacation not business so we enjoyed the solitude ...

i believe there is only one restaurant and i thought it was a little expensive for breakfast (they offer a buffet when they have enough visitors) it was $35 + tip for 2 adults & 2 kids for basic egg breakfasts

lots of (summer) attractions on site ... chairlift, frisbee golf, pool, at least 2 hot tubs, horseback riding etc ... great time ... but figure at least $50 on top of your priceline price for meals/activities ...

so for $100+ Signal Mountain in Grand Teton is a much nicer place IMHO ...

• 10 months later...

Stayed here last week for $36 on priceline (mid-June, I don't know if they charge more for the peak summer season). Great value, if you can handle the location.

First, you have to know this isn't really in Jackson Hole. It's about an hour away, first down a steep mountain and then over a winding pass, so if location is important to you, don't stay here. I stayed 2 nights with my family before heading to Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. We did day trip over to Jackson where we "bundled" a lot of activities (alpine slide at Snow King, BarJ chuckwagon, etc.), so for the savings (jackson hole accomodations were ridiculously expensive) it worked for us.

Like most ski resorts in summer, they try semi-successfully to find something for their guests to do. It was still too cold to use the swimming pool, but there was an indoor whirlpool. The chairlift wasn't operating the days I was there, but operates more regularly in peak summer season. There was a ropes course and zip line, but the local national guard had booked it solid for my entire stay! Since things were otherwise slow, the activities desk gave me a discount on the rock wall -- $25 total got my kids as much as much climbing as they wanted, aided by a "professional" belayer (I think they each made 3 climbs).

The national forest (whom they seem to lease the land from) has a ranger who gives interesting campfire talks in the evening. When it's rainy, he conducts the talks inside the lodge's spiffy fireplaced lobby.

The Teewinot Lodge where they house the 2.5 star priceline guests is very nice -- even atmospheric! A solid 3 star (maybe even better) facility.

I liked how the hotel tended to be generous on little things. Free wireless internet and guest computer, free local calls. Free hot beverages and fruit in the lobby. Free soap powder to do laundry My youngest even picked up a sticker book to play with. Enthusiastic "college" staff, albeit inexperienced.

Hotel is currently undergoing some renovations (when else could they do it?), so you'll likely find some construction going on. Very mildly inconvenient, but I doubt it would interfere with anyone's enjoyment.

They also run a camp for local kids and guests. About $160/week. Didn't use it, but the counselors looked enthusiastic and the activities seemed sufficiently entertaining.

Had dinner one night in the steakhouse restaurant -- the only one open. Food was pretty good, and the prices were fair. Not a destination restaurant, but more than OK given the isolated location.

Didn't try to do any hiking in the area because I had young children, but I did see lots of folks heading off for walks. The location is pretty, but not spectacular like on the other side of the Tetons.

Bottomline is that if you can find something nice in Jackson for under $100, you might be better off staying there. But this is highly improbable -- for example the Snow King resort (think of it as an in-town equivalent of the Grand Targhee, with more going on) is like $200. Even the local Super8 is like $125. So unless somebody else chooses to participate in Priceline, your best bet may be the Grand Targhee.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]