Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help for Newark Airport EWR Area

thetravelgod
By thetravelgod,
in

Bid on 3.5* up to 95 per nite in the Newark-Meadowlands (Newark Airport EWR) zone

Bid on 3* up to 65 per nite in the Newark-Meadowlands (Newark Airport EWR) zone

No wins on either

Would really like to get the Hilton Gateway Penn Station which is listed at 3.5* and in the Newark-Meadowlands (Newark) zone

I incorrectly thought this was in the Newark Airport EWR zone as have now realized its in the (Newark) zone.

The Hilton Penn Station is listed at 3.5* but currently Priceline is not listing any 3.5* for that zone. This hotel would also be perferred (if available) as an easier option to enter/exit NYC for the day before we leave for Europe the next day. Any other hotel with an airport shuttle would require extra trips to/from EWR airport to enter/exit NYC for the day

However for the sure bet I could book the Hilton at the EWR airport for $87 plus tax for $102 or just increase my 3* bid in increments till I reach the $102 rate available at the Hilton.com

Any Ideas???

I believe the Hilton Newark Penn Station is now 3* rated by PRICELINE and have updated the Priceline Hotel List accordingly.

So i have a better understanding of your needs for this trip, are you arriving by plane into Newark on 7/14 and then flying out the following day... if not, how will you be arriving to the area on 7/14? What time do you arrive into the area and when does your plane depart (ie- will you have time to head into NYC both days OR just on 7/14?)

Let us know the above and i'll look into some options/ideas.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes we arriving Newark on 7/14 via air at 9am and leaving the next day at 6pm for Europe...so plenty of time to set foot in the city.

I did find an interesting option in Rahway NJ....Hotel Indigo....nonrefundable rate is 79 per nite and for 89 per nite it includes breakfast for 2.....of course tax is extra. This hotel is also next to a NJ transit station. Any yes this hotel has a shuttle and will probably head to the city just on 7/14 also trying for a late ckout on Sunday. We did think about staying in the city but with luggage on the train/subway it was a little too much hassel for a 1 nite stay with lesser cost options near the Newark Airport

Not sure how much budget vs. experience is playing a role in this stay, but if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit from the pricing above i would consider staying in Jersey City. You can likely get a 4* hotel for $110-$135 (hopefully near the lower end of the range) and you'll be right near a PATH station which will take you into Manhattan in ~15 minutes and make the most of your time in the city. You also won't have to deal with shuttles to/from the airport and to/from the train station, and on 7/15 you stop by the hotel after the city to pick up your bags and head straight to the airport (no shuttle needed from PATH to hotel which when including wait time can make a difference).

To calculate the 'true' cost you also have to consider taxi to/from the airport and hotel, which is ~$25 + tip if i give you the name of some local companies... so it will be more expensive, but will provide a better experience, more time to spend in NYC, and a lot more convenient.

If you don't go for a 4* in Jersey City i would book direct with one of your other options (please use our Hilton or Hotel Indigo links to begin your purchase)... there's just too much risk of landing a hotel without easy access to the PATH, and taking a shuttle to the airport is not only a hassle, but commuting from the airport is expensive too! (about $10-$15 per person each way depending upon what mode of transportation you choose)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and/or what you decide and how we can help further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thank you for the booking advice. We decided that our travel budget trumped experience (we did save $70 per person by flying to EWR one day before our flight Europe so we didn't really want to bust that amount). I did try for a 3* in the Newark zone which should have resulted in the Hilton Penn Station or Best Western Robert Treat hotels. I bid from $45 to $70 in $5 increments over a number of days (no free re-bids available) and no wins. So we used the link for Hotel Indigo and booked the nonrefundable bed/breakfast rate for $89 (a net of $69 since it includes $20 worth of free breakfast which we would get anways). Yes the Indigo is a little father from EWR but the shuttle runs on request so maybe minimal waiting and the "neighborhood" around the Hotel Indigo in Rahway looks more inviting than Newark.

I've stayed at least a half dozen times at the Indigo, and a dozen times at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Both are fine properties, although the Indigo is probably a little nicer, and has better, cheaper parking. Both are across the street (literally) from their respective stations, and it's about an extra 15 minutes to EWR from Rahway.

I was actually just at the Indigo last week (5/23), and they were renovating the lobby and breakfast area (redoing the floors, I think). The only slightly weird thing about that hotel is the hardwood/laminate in all the rooms. It looks nice, but feels a little weird in a hotel. You'd think you'd get a lot of noise, but the floors/walls must be well insulated, because I've never heard a thing.

The same isn't always true for the Hilton Newark Penn Station. You get a lot of different types of people there, including drunk soccer fans from redbull games, a ton of foreign tourists, etc. I've had times where I've needed to move rooms in the night because of physical altercations in the rooms adjacent.

Still, that's not the hotel's fault, and it's basically well-run. For the rates I get, and the access to NJ Transit or the PATH, these are good options for me when working in the city.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]