Priceline Hotel: NYC Hotel, 3, 3.5 and 4 stars

purplelotus
By purplelotus,
in

On May 2, I made several bids unsuccessful bids for NYC hotels, 3,3.5 and 4 star for 5/25-6/2 (8 nights). I bid up to $96 for a 3-star in Chelsea and Empire State areas. For 3.5-star I bid up to $110 for Midtown East and West, Times Square, Lower East Side, and Downtown. I also bid up to $110 for a 4-star and added Chelsea, SoHo, and Empire State to the 3.5-star list. I bid in New Jersey (Secaucus and Hoboken areas) and was unsuccessful there too. Will post those bids in that area. A few days later I booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea using my AAA discount for an average nightly rate of $137. I get free breakfast there with my Hilton status so I thought that was a good deal. (Internet is free for everyone.)

If anyone has any inexpensive restaurant suggestions in Chelsea or up by the Metropolitan Museum of Art, please let me know. We like healthy food. Eat lots of Asian. Go to Chinatown a lot when we got to New York. No burgers or pizza (unless it's vegetarian with whole wheat crust). Thanks.

Used links to bid and also used Hilton link to book a Hilton.

Thanks for the failed bids reports and for using the PRICELINE and Hilton links on the board for your bidding/purchase.

Not necessarily in the area(s) you mentioned, but when you add the 'healthy' part of the equation it wipes out most of my 'cheap eats' recommendations (don't get me wrong, i mostly try to eat healthy too... but pizza is my weakness and my 'go to' cheap eat in the city).

Anyway, if you eat sushi you may want to give this place a try where during Happy Hour (M-F 3:30pm-7pm, Sat-Sun 12:30pm-7pm) they have a $3.50 menu which makes for an excellent value. It's not just 3-4 choice either... about 15 rolls, 10 hot kitchen items, 5 salads (the avocado salad is GREAT!) and all beers (including Kirin on draft) and wines are $3.50 too! Not the best sushi i've ever had, but certainly respectable, fresh, and a great deal for the Happy Hour price:

Jin

252 Broome St

New York, NY 10002

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

On 5/2, I made several unsuccessful bids for hotels in Secaucus, Jersey City, and New York City for 5/25-6/2. NYC bids are posted on the New York Priceline forum.

I bid $69 for a 2.5-star in Secaucus which failed. (Last year I won the LaQuinta Inn & Suites for $64 for almost the identical period. I posted that win.) I was also unsuccessful with a $76 bid for a 3-star and $94 for a 3.5 star in Secaucus. I then tried bidding on a 4-star in Jersey City. Bid up to $101 and no luck there either. Ultimately booked the Hilton Garden Inn in Chelsea for $137/nt AAA rate.

Did use links.

Why did you move this post from the New Jersey forum? People looking for hotels in that area might not look at New York. I often don't. That is why I wrote 2 separate posts. I do like the website and use it frequently.

I still think this is posted incorrectly. I purposely made 2 separate entries, one for New York and one for New Jersey because that is how I thought they should be. Then someone combined them and put them both in New York. Now the combined entry been switched to New Jersey. Can someone explain why they should be one post and not two separate ones as I originally posted them?

I doubt I will bid again on Priceline since I am happy with the Hilton at $137/nt. I figure two breakfasts are worth $20/nt, and the Hilton points are worth probably another $20/nt. Free internet is worth something too, and I have a king bed. I doubt I'd match that on Priceline. I didn't when I tried bidding on 5/2.

We keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread... i didn't give it too much thought as to whether it would be best in NY or NJ, and we could easily move it to the NY board if you think better suited there, but we have found keeping all posts for the same stay in the same thread help keep things better organized.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]