Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MTW) Sheraton Manhattan

djohannw
By djohannw,
in

After some persuasion I finally talked my sister into flying with me to the USA in January for the first time in her life. We booked a dead-cheap ticket on Delta to go to Washington, Atlanta and New York City (in that order) and will spend two and a half day in the New York area. Our flight from Atlanta arrives at EWR, and the flight home departs JFK.

As she obviously has never been to New York I wonder if we should stay in Manhattan or (my usual favourite) in New Jersey and commute to the city. Did some pre-checks with Hotwire, and they have a 3* what I would identify as the Sheraton Manhattan for $102, so I would assume that could be had on Priceline for ~$90 (when it came up in 2004 it ran about $80, but prices have gone up considerably since).

On the other hand I have tried Jersey City 3* already at $65 but was not successful. Hotwire shows what I guess it the Hyatt for $199, no availablility on the Coutyard and also has what I guess are the Candlewood Suites and Ramada - both which I would not consider currently.

So: Would you take your sister downtown or wait for rates to come down in Jersey City?

Greetings - Dirk

thereuare,

so I understand this you would wait a while if in my shoes because you think that Jersey City is the better place to stay given our parameters?

I ask this because I think that sub-$100 rates for Manhattan sound like quite a deal, and the Sheraton Manhattan certainly is one of the better 3* hotels (and in a very central location)...

I also did some additional research in other zones, and the Crowne Plaza Meadowlands can be had conventionally for $70 Thursday and even as low as $55 on Friday night - so it will probably be available on Priceline as well. Also Hotwire has a 3.5* in the Newark airport-zone (the Hilton, I suppose) for my dates for $51 meaning Priceline will have a three-star for $4x.

As to our plans for the time around, we plan on having a full day of sightseeing in New York (plus the day of departure), but for the arrival-day we intend to do some outlet-shopping. So we will have a car at least for some of the time (obviously not for the time we would be in Manhattan). But splitting the stay is probably not an option because of the inconvenience of moving and the time involved.

btw: Do you (or anybody else here) know if the Jersey Garden Mall Shuttle from EWR is still operating? I came across the bus some time ago when I waited for a hotel-shuttle to pick me up...

Greetings - Dirk

I think NYC is a better place for your visit, given the first time visit for your sister and the short stay.

I guess it depends upon your budget, as i would hope you could get a 4* in NYC during the winter for $100-$120... but of course don't have a true indication of what prices will be like for a few months yet.

The Jersey Gardens website indicates that they do still have a shuttle to/from EWR, but whehther that is current or not i can't say.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I decided to give it a go right now. Started bidding for a three star at $85 for MW, was counteroffered to raise $22, added Upper West Side for $89 and was accepted at:

Sheraton Manhattan Hotel

zone: Midtown West

790 7th Avenue At 51st Street

New York, New York 10019

212-581-3300

Check-In Date: Thu, Jan 12, 2006

Check-In Time: After 04:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Sat, Jan 14, 2006

Check-Out Time: 11:00 AM

Your Offer Price: $89.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $178.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $37.92

Total Charges: $215.92

Got the hotel as I had expected after consulting Hotwire. Called Starwood to request two double-beds and was told that they are on request only but a King is guaranteed. Well, still looks like a very nice deal for NYC - I think $89 in Manhattan has been unheard of quite some time...;-)!

Plan now is to take a rental ex-EWR to a Midtown Manhattan location (Avis or the likes) to drop of the car after droping my sister of at the hotel.

Greetings - Dirk

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]