Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Intercontinental The Barclay

AlwaysBooking
By AlwaysBooking,
in

Of course I have to go to NY at one of the busiest, i.e.,expensive times of the year! I'm planning to be there from 5/18-23. I'd like to give a shot at first for 4* with a maximum budget of $200 per night plus fees. Preferred zones are ESB, MTE, Chelsea, Downtown, HK, TSQ - (skipping CPS for fear of tiny room at 6 Columbus :) ) Would you be able to offer a strategy? I've still got time so can adjust, split or expand zones later if need be. Thanks!

At the 4* level you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* ESB, MTE, Downtown...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* HK, TSQ, Chelsea...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* HK, MTE, Downtown...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, TSQ, Chelsea...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, TSQ, Downtown...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* HK, MTE, Chelsea...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, Downtown, MTE, TS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, Downtown, MTE, Chelsea...

Select 4* ESB, Downtown, MTE, HK...

Select 4* ESB, Downtown, MTE, TS, Chelsea...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, Downtown, MTE, TS, HK...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* ESB, MTE, Downtown, HK, TSQ, Chelsea...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the excellent and thorough strategy! You guys really are great and I appreciate it. I used your PRICELINE link for all bids - and I'm sure it will come as no real surprise to you (or to me, for that matter) that I had no success. I'm thinking of adding Midtown West and SoHo/Tribeca as well before I try my hand at splitting - I'm still a bit apprehensive about adding CPS because of what I've heard about the size of the rooms at 6 Columbus Circle. Since I did all of this today, I think I have to wait until tomorrow to start over adding the two new zones, correct? If I decide to try splitting, I'm sure I'll have a question or two about that :blink:

P.S. I noticed that they now have a Morningside Heights/Harlem zone for Manhattan, which lists a 3* property. Any idea what this might be? I'm guessing the Aloft, but I didn't see any wins there on a quick look at the calendar.

I'm thinking of adding Midtown West and SoHo/Tribeca as well before I try my hand at splitting - I'm still a bit apprehensive about adding CPS because of what I've heard about the size of the rooms at 6 Columbus Circle. Since I did all of this today, I think I have to wait until tomorrow to start over adding the two new zones, correct?

No, when you add a zone (or combination of zones) which has not yet been bid previously, it's treated as a new bid... this is why re-bidding works, because you're adding a new zone (or combination of zones) which enables you to bid again inside of 24 hours. You could simply add SoHo-Tribeca to all of the bids above and it would be considered a duplicate.
I noticed that they now have a Morningside Heights/Harlem zone for Manhattan, which lists a 3* property. Any idea what this might be? I'm guessing the Aloft, but I didn't see any wins there on a quick look at the calendar.
We have not yet seen any wins in this zone, but the Aloft would be at least one candidate among the possibilities.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So just to be clear - I could take the basic template above, but add in SoHo/Tribeca and Midtown West (I'm guessing separately to increase options) but keep the dollar bids the same? And I could try that again today? I reread your helpful Rebidding Explained posts too which was helpful in explaining the rebidding concept.

Thanks!

So just to be clear - I could take the basic template above, but add in SoHo/Tribeca and Midtown West (I'm guessing separately to increase options) but keep the dollar bids the same? And I could try that again today?

Correct... as all the bids above are 'unique combinations' and none are considered to be a duplicate bid, adding additional zones to each of the bids still keeps all bids 'unique'. However, i would probably just add the two zones to each bid (and not separate them) as you're far enough away from current rates which makes a win unlikely, and you're already bidding near $3 increments which is pretty narrow for a $150+/nite hotel room.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried that but still no luck. I'll probably try again tomorrow, but I think I might give a try at a split if that doesn't work. On a 6 night stay, is there a recommended strategy, e.g., 3/3, 2/4, 4/2, 1/5 etc for splitting a stay?

At current rates i still don't think you'll be successful at $200 or under for a 4* property... even if you SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID.

If you want to try splitting the bid, i would exhaust all your date combinations hoping to get lucky:

5/17-5/23

5/17-5/22

5/18-5/23

5/17-5/21

5/19-5/23

5/17-5/20

5/20-5/23

You can follow the previous strategy for the first set of dates, if rejected close your browser and use the links on the board to re-access PRICELINE, try for the next set of dates, and so-on and so-on.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck!

What an incredibly busy time in NYC! But perseverence - and flexibility on my part - paid off. I just need to soak my fingers in warm water to recover from all the typing! Long story short - I upped my bid substantially after reviewing the going rates for hotels and I am staying the first two nights on the aforementioned friend's couch. Ended up with the Intercontinental Barclay for 5/19-23 at a rate of $265 per night. I like this hotel and just stayed there in December. Used your links to the PRICELINE site. Thanks for all your excellent advice. I'm happy with this. :D

Congratulations on your success!

Sorry to see these dates proved to be so expensive, but glad to see that given the circumstances of high 'traditional' rates that you're pleased with the results.

You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]