PHX (Phoenix, AZ) Rental Car (05/12 - 05/19)

EH!
By EH!,
in

I have been doing some car rental research for a vacation in the Phoenix area. As I have never rented a car before, I wanted to be sure that the Best Price on Hotwire is indeed a great deal. Picking up & dropping off car at the Airport, $22 per day ($157 total), including taxes & fees, unlimited miles. Priceline's Name Your Own Price, doesn't seem to compair with Hotwire - the service charges are higher. I appreciate any input - 'thumbs up' or 'hold-out for a better price'. Cheers!

I've rented cars in many cities from both Hotwire and Priceline and agree Priceline's fees are slightly higher. I've found patience to be the key to great rental prices. I've got Priceline mid-size and standard size rentals for z Name-Your-Own-Price of $11 a day by waiting until the last few days before the trip. I always make cancellable back-up reservations, though, in case there's a convention or other local event likely to deplete the rental fleet. The price you're paying is probably pretty good, though you might have saved a few bucks by waiting just a bit longer. For research purposes, check the rates over the next week - you may see them decline a bit.

Priceline's Name Your Own Price, doesn't seem to compair with Hotwire - the service charges are higher.

But what if you could name your own prices for $3 less per day than HOTWIRE's rate... that's $21 on a one week trip; would this make the PRICELINE 'all-in' rate less than HOTWIRE's? What if the bid price was $5/day less? etc, etc.

While the fees of one service may be more/less than another, i think with either you'll still typically get a very good deal vs. traditional booking services.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the reply! I haven't booked with HOTWIRE yet. The rate that I stated was actually $11.95 per day, but once the fees & taxes are added, it translates to $22 per day. When I began the Name Your Own Price with PRICELINE, it stated that there was a good chance at $16 per day and a better chance at $17 per day. I tried $12 per day. Their fees & taxes were more than 20% when I bid at $12 per day. Def better than retail, anyways! I appreciate the input!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]