Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC Sept Seeking advice

haes75
By haes75,
in

I need to find a 4* hotel in NYC from Sept 9 - 13. I need to know where is a good place to stay. This is my first time to NYC with my family. We are thinking of getting the hop on and hop off bus for $90 for 3 days. What your think? I need all the help that I can get. Please help. Thanks again. I forget to mention that my stay are flexible. I can move my date to Sept 7 - 11. It is cheaper to get a hotel over the weekend?

Let's work on your hotel first and then when we know exactly where you need to go we'll be able to give the best advice regarding transportion (but to answer your more general question, standard taxi will only allow (legally) 4 passengers... there are a few mini-van taxis that can accomodate more).

First objective is to figure out your desired zones. Most choose the MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS areas as they are the most centrally located for the typical 'tourist'. You can read more about the zones for each area in our PRICELINE ZONE DESCRIPTIONS for NYC.

You can also use our new inter-active PRICELINE MAPS.

Let us know if the above three zones work for you (exclude any of them three, include any of the others?) and let us know your maximum bid per nite and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We like to stay at MTW and MTE. We have a budget of $150 per nite. We have 4 adults and a kid. Can you tell me more about the 1br suite in Beekman Tower? Our dates are Sept 7 - 11 or Sept 9 - 13, whichever is cheaper. I understand from reading this site that most hotel room in NYC is small, can you tell me more about it? If we are willing to squeeze all of us in a room, can we still bid for priceline? We need a room to stay for the night as we will be out sightseeing most of the time. Is the date that we are coming, consider a low season or high season for tourist in NY? Thanks.

I think 5 in one hotel room is really pushing it.... besides the fact that it likley violates firecode laws from most standard hotel rooms.

There are many NYC hotel rooms that only have one bed in them and can't even accomoate a roll-a-way bed... not sure how you would deal with five in one room.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare,

We will go for 2 rooms in MTW. Can you suggest a bid? Is the date that we are coming, consider a low season or high season for hotel in NY? If it is cheaper to book hotel in the weekday, then I will go for Sept 7 - 11. If not, then I will go for Sept 9 - 13. I'm going to upstate NY and I can put it in the front or the end of the trip. I also need help to find a hotel in between Niagara Falls and NYC. Thanks

Only MTW (not willing to bid MTE?... why not UM/CPS as well?)

Still budget of $150/nite max (i know, less is better)

Also, in re-reading this thread, many love the hop-on/hop-off bus, HOWEVER, if you're willing to do a little research on your own i prefer to create my own hop-on/hop-off tour by using the city's mass transit system... allows you to go on your own schedule and can be done for about $7/day. Of course this doesn't come with any structure or narration... but if you do your homework/research you can see it all and be amoung the locals rather than the tourists.

Yeap. I do not mind those zone that you recommend. I have a son and my mother is coming too and she is old so I guess the hop on hop off will be good for my mum and my son.

Can you also please tell me about the hotel in New Jersey(NJ)? I read some posts about it. How far is the journey into New York(tourist stuff) from NJ? Do they have a Residence Inn or Courtyard for Priceline? I know you do not know determine the hotel you want in Priceline. I'm trying to find out all my option that I have. I might want to add that I'm flying out from LGA. That might be a ble to help you to help me plan out a wonderful trip to New York and not being very rush for the family. Thanks

You can see all the hotels reported in each area in your PRICELINE HOTEL LIST NEW YORK and HOTEL LIST NEW JERSEY.

The best NJ area for commuting into Manhattan is Jersey City, a distant second is the Secaucus/Meadowlands/North Bergen areas (you can see the corresponding hotels in the above).

Let us know which way you want to go, as well as your maximum bid (still $150 for in NYC?) and we'll suggest a strategy.

Troublesome in what way... i take my 7 month old on the path (granted she's in my arms and may be easier to handle than a 3 year old).

I wouldn't anticipate any problems, but i also would not plan on using it during rush hour as the train will be very crowded and standing room only (rush hour are weekdays to NYC: 7:30am-9:00am and returning from NYC: 4:45pm-6:30pm)

Jersey City is certainly no "lay-up" though, as there are not too many hotels and the bidding has been tougher in recent months.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

I'm flying in from JFK and flying out from LGA. Will I have problem going to and from the airport to Jersey City? If it is not a big problem, I will want to go for Jersey city. Please advice on bid for Sept 9 - 13. I also need help to get a hotel in between Niagara Falls and NYC for Sept 8. We can take care of that later on...Thereuare...thanks for helping out.

To get to Jersey City from LGA you would most likely take a cab to NYC and then the PATH train to Jersey City... some would call that a hassle, some would say it was no big deal.

You're not like to get an ultra-cheap rate for the entire length of your stay at a 3* in Jersey City... are you willing to accept a lower rated hotel (like the Candlewood Suites... note only one bid in rooms at this property) or SPLIT YOUR BID? (if successful, you could stay half in Jersey City and half in NYC)

What would be your expected nightly budget for Jersey City?

I will bid $50 a night for 2 rooms in Jersey City or $80 a night for one room. I can changed my dates from Sept 9 -13 to Sept 7 - 11. Can you tell me how to get to Jersey from JFK? I have done the research of the hotel price for each day at hyatt.com and hotwire.com

From Hotwire,

The first night (9th) is $105 2*, $113 2.5* and $168 3.5*

Second night is $105 2*, $113 2.5* and $203 3.5*

third night is $101 2*, $108 2.5* and $243.5*

last night is $105 2* and $113 2.5*

My guess is 2* is candlewods suite

2.5* Courtyard

3.5* Hyatt

From Hyatt.com

1st night (9th) $165

2nd night is $199

3rd night is $249

4th night is $319

I hope this info will be able to help you to help me make a good bid.

There are some things you should know first....

You're not likely to win a 3* in the Jersey City area for up to $80 for this complete stay given the current rates at the Hyatt.

The Candlewood Suites only has rooms with one bed, so bidding for one room is probably not a realistic option.

The Courtyard has not come up on Hotwire. You didn't list the amenities associated with the hotels above, but usually the 3* is often the Hyatt, the 2.5* the Candlewood, and the 2* is the Ramada by Journal Square.

Prices are high for these dates, in both NYC and Jersey City, so you shouldn't expect to win properties at the low end of their historical ranges.

Thereuare,

What are your suggestion of the bidding strategy? Ideally, I would hope to win Courtyard in Jersey city because they have a king bed and a couch bed. Candlewoods Suite is 2* in priceline, right? If that is the case, then I will avoid bidding for 2*, they cannot downgrade my bidding. Let me know what you think.

What is the most you would pay in order to stay in NJ? Eventually you hit a point where it is no longer worthwhile to stay on the NJ side.

Rates are very high at the Courtyard over these dates... and sometimes no rooms are offered to the opaque services. If you're a hotel revenue manager and thought you could fill all/most rooms for a given nite yourself, why offer them at a discount to the opaque providers?

This is a zone with only four or five (known) hotels... so there's not a lot of alternate properties if one hotel has high opaque rates or otherwise low vacancies.

I really confused right now. If I have to pay $110 for a stay in Jersey, then I might as well bid for NYC. What's your suggestion for me? Do you have other suggestion for me? Maybe like split my dates or recommend me a suite like what you did with other people. I'm sincerely asking for help from the gurus here and trying to have a good time in NYC too.

• 4 weeks later...

Selected amenities include:

Boutique Hotel, Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Business Center.

Sept 7 - 11

3* hotel.

Times Square - Theatre District (Midtown)

I found this Ref No. 6343346168. And every hotel also have a difference Ref. No. I like to find out if anyone know about this ref no.

I have tried bidding for up to $100 for my stay in Jersey City and still got rejected. I'm willing to bid up to $180 for New York city. I do not mind 3* or 4*. I just want to get a place now as my dates are getting close. I have make a backup plan with hyatt for 3 days. Please advice.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Thanks for your help. Decided to finally get the Hyatt in Jersey thru their website and get the last night with my hilton reward point for one night for a Hampton Inn. Do you know which is a better one to choose? Hampton Inn Madison square Garden or Times Square North. I will be leaving this hotel to go to LGA the next day...Thanks for your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]