Have I been 'scammed'?

ufauxreal
By ufauxreal,
in

With all the spoof and scam e-mails running rampant, I am really becoming paranoid.

A few days ago I got an e-mail, purporting to be from Priceline, which said something like "It has been a while since you have tried to get your priceline hotel room... don't give up, Click Here (a link was provided).

Well... I clicked, and WAS taken to the priceline site (I thought???). I think I wound up making a brand new bid though, on the hotel I have been trying to get. A few mins. later I got the notice that it has been less than 72 hrs... yada.. yada... (I really hadn't remembered).

Today I got an e-mail, again purporting to be from "Priceline" telling me that Priceline is changing their Privacy Policy, I need to 'Click Here' to make sure mine is the way I wanted. Well... this time I didn't click, but signed on to Priceline directly. Nothing has changed in their Privacy Notice, as far as I can see, and my settings have not been changed.

Has anyone else gotten either of these e-mails??? I know these 'spoof' e-mails have been rampant from eBay and PayPal, so maybe someone has decided Priceline is a good next target.

Sorry this is so long, but I am concerned!

JB

I have received the "we're updating our Privacy Policy" email, but not the other one that you mention receiving.

For the Privacy Policy email, i did look over the 'before' and 'after' policies, but didn't click on anything involving my profile. I just looked at it again and although the domain in the email is priceline.net (which if you try does indeed go to Priceline.com), things seem 'ok' to me. I played around with a few URLs in the email and they all take me directly to priceline's site.

Regarding the re-bid within 72 hours, unfortunately Priceline often sends these out in mass mailings based upon a calendar day and not the actual time of your bid. As a result, you can often get a message stating that it's time to re-bid when it really isn't. It is also quite possible that by re-bidding before the actual time elapses, it may just lock you out for another 72 hours (even though the bid didn't go thru, the cookie is often re-set). Place your bids thru SavingsBarn and you won't have to worry about whose link you're actually clicking thru :)

Bottom line, i wouldn't worry about this too much.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]