Priceline Hotel: 4*NYC 9/1-9/5 seeking advice

stevepdx
By stevepdx,
in

First time Priceline, have done Hotwire once, have read posts and understand bidding process. Prefer zones UM, MTE, MTS in that order, maximum $150, no splitting. If unsuccessful up to that level, would consider going down to 3*. If you could give me a suggested bidding strategy I would be most grateful.

Mis-read your first post, here is an update:

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select MTS...

Bid $125, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, I followed the recommended strategy exactly up through $145 but no success. I checked Hotwire and as of right now there is a 4* MTE at $161, probably W New York. I could nab that, or wait and try again, or other strategy. Any thoughts appreciated.

FYI: Using Mozilla, which is my usual browser, I could not access Priceline through SavingsBarn. When I changed to IE, no problem. Thought you would want to know for other users.

The W New York gets mixed reviews so i would read them and determine if it suits your needs or not. Some enjoy their stay while others don't, but a common theme is that many of the rooms are extremely small.

I think your decision will be based upon just how firm your previous $150/nite budget is (doesn't seem like it was a true maximum to begin with since you're considering this property which is more) and whether or not the Hotwire hotel will work for your needs.

You could book the Millenium UN as a back-up for $183/nite. There is no booking fee so it's not too far from the Hotwire deal above, it's cancellable so it enables you to continue to try Priceline while know you have a reservation someplace, and the reviews are pretty good.

Let us know your thoughts on the above options.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I booked the Millenium UN via your link as backup for $183+tax=$213. I think I'll retry Priceline after the 72 hr lockout and take it from there. And I will raise my maximum to $160 with the same zones. Should I just use the same strategy that you recommended and add $10? Thanks for the help. I am learning a lot.

That would work, but i'll ask how opposed you are to the MTW zone? If a hotel could be won there (i don't know, i haven't looked for these specific rates since that's not an area you're considering) cheaper, would you want to stay there vs. paying more for a hotel in one of the other zones?

I'm not pushing either way, just offering some 'food for thought'.

I'm visiting at the same time (Aug. 31-Sept. 4) and tried thereuare's strategy with no success...but had fun trying. I'm self-employed, so time is money and I ran out of patience and booked the W on Hotwire for $156 Aug. 31-Sep. 2 and $157 Sep.2-4. For some reason I got a better rate splitting up the weekend. Plus I used that code to get an extra $10 off per night, what is it, GUESTCARD06 I believe.

The W reviews are mixed--but a lot of them are good.

If you get below $150 on Priceline for a 4*, please be sure to post. I might kick myself a little...but I'm glad to be booked and done with.

Good luck,

Ms. J

Final outcome: Got a room at the Washington Square Hotel in Greenwich Village for $148 plus tax by calling the hotel directly. Reviews are mixed on Tripadvisor but price is right and location great. Thanks for the help and will check in next time.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]