Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (Millenium-Loop) Club Quarters Wacker

Illiniswim
By Illiniswim,
in

I'm spending the weekend of 8/5-8/7 downtown and am looking for tips on getting a good deal for a 3*/4* hotel. I've never bid on priceline before and would appreciate any tips/accepted prices for this weekend. I saw there was a American Bar Association convention this weekend (~10,000 people) and am wondering how high this could drive up prices. Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you let us know your maximum bid/budget we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow (rates don't look excessive for the above dates). You'll also need to understand re-bidding, which is explained in this link: PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED. Please read it and feel free to ask any questions that you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (hint: you have two re-bid zones when bidding 4*, one re-bid zone when bidding 3*)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't have a set maximum bid/budget but I would like to get something for $100 or less, if possible, but I can afford to go higher if need be. I don't know if this is asking too low, but I have heard stories from friends who got rooms at a 3*/4* hotel, in the same area for around $60, so I thought it may be possible to get something around there.

I saw there was a American Bar Association convention this weekend (~10,000 people) and am wondering how high this could drive up prices.

A 10K convention here is nothing. We had a few 40K+ conventions come through in June alone. Also, there's no big downtown festival I know of, and the Cubs aren't even at home. Start low.

We were all beginners at some time or another...

As per the link above, re-bidding is adding a zone that only contains star levels lower than the one you are bidding. When you bid 4* in Chicago, there are two such re-bid zone (ie- zones which only contain hotels with 3 stars or less).

When you bid for 3* there is only one re-bid zone (ie- zones which only contain hotels rated less than 2.5*)

You can find out the highest star rating offered in each zone as per our PRICELINE RE-BIDDING link:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

So let us know if you know which two zones qualify as your re-bid zones when bidding for 4* properties, and which one zone qualifies as your re-bid zone when bidding for a 3* property.

If it still doesn't make sense post back and we'll try to explain further, otherwise confirm your re-bid zones with us (we'll make sure you have them correct) and then we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Does anyone know anything about the Club Quarters on Michigan/Wacker? This is the hotel I got back from priceline today and I am fairly disappointed, although I suppose that is a risk you take with this sort of thing. The hotel appears to be geared towards business travelers and while it looks nice enough, it seems somewhat basic and low key...not exactly what I was anticipating for a romantic weekend downtown? Hopefully someone can settle my mind about this. Also, do the hotels' general cancellation rules apply to hotels bought through priceline or am I basically stuck with this hotel?

How about sharing the details of your win and your bidding history with the board?

As per our policy:

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and  post the details of your 'win.'

(this information should be added to the board even if you received a hotel that you were happy with)

Please provide your bidding history and then we'll address and answer your concerns.

I started at 4* on Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area at $70 and then at $85 before adding 3* in the same area. In retrospect, I should have added NMA area before downgrading star levels. My bid of $85 was accepted for Club Quarters on Michigan/Wacker. The going rate for for the room/night on sites like Expedia appears to be like $130, so I also don't feel like I'm saving too much money.

Club Quarters Michigan at Wacker

Millenium Park, Chicago Loop, Grant Park Area

75 East Wacker Drive

Chicago, Illinois 60601

312-357-6400

Check-In Date: Friday, August 5, 2005

Check-In Time: After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Sunday, August 7, 2005

Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price: $85.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $170.00

Taxes and

Service Fees: $34.66

Total Charges: $204.66

While we can't know every possible outcome, this 'disappointment' certainly could have been avoided...

You bid (incorrectly) before learning about re-bid zones which is vital to helping you get the best price. As welll, this hotel has already been reported in our PRICELINE HOTEL LIST in this area so this hotel was a known possibility.

Next time review the list of known properties and avoid zones/star ratings where there are properties you don't want, as well as wait for a bidding suggested bidding strategy. The above stay is over 3 weeks away so there was no rush for you to act before understanding the process.

Priceline's hotels are non-refundable as that is part of the terms you agreed to when using their service.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]