Priceline Hotel: PL hotels near Children's Hospital of Philly?

kstrom
By kstrom,
in

I'm new to the group and need advice on getting a hotel room within walking distance of Children's Hospital of Philly for Aug 10-12, 2005. I booked a room through Hotwire, but unbeknownst to me (and not apparent from Hotwire's detailed map as displayed on my computer), Hotwire's West Philly designation includes a chunk of Philly east of the Schuylkill river. Now I am stuck with a $65/night room at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza in East Philly. I checked Priceline, and they have a "University Area" which seems to include just the area around UPenn/Hospitals. The AAA guide shows only 2 hotels in the University area: the Hilton Inn at Penn (AAA-rated 4 diamonds, range $140-260) and the Sheraton University City (AAA-rated 3 diamonds, range $110-300). However, Priceline lists 2 hotels in the University Area: a 3 star (suggested retail $215) and a 2 star (suggested retail $149).

My questions are

1) Is the PL map of University Area of Philly accurate (i.e., east boundary = Schuylkill River, north boundary = Baring St, west boundary = 38th street

2) Does anyone have a guess as to what the 2 Priceline hotels in university area are?

3) What bidding strategy should I use, given that I have no flexibility as to date or location? (I'll have 2 kids with me, 1 of whom is having surgery.)

I'd really appreciate any advice as I have already blown the money I had budgeted for hotels for the surgery.

-- Karin S (aka kstrom)

PS For my daughter's pre-op visit (July 16-18), I used Hotwire and got Hyatt at Penns Landing for $100/night.

Hotwire's designation of West Philly is strange (I tend to think of the Wyndham as being more in East Philly); I would consider PL's map of West Philadelphia to be more true to area. That being said, I can't find another hotel in the University City that meets the 2* rating from Priceline. If I were to carry it over to what Hotwire considers to be "West Philly," there is a hotel that may fit that two star rating - but this is just a guess at best - it's the Best Western Center City hotel on N. 22nd Street - it isn't far from the Wyndham and I think it may merit about a 2* rating. My best guess is that the 3* is the Sheraton University City. Again, only a guess!

I have been using Hotwire for about the last year, but am new to PL - just won my 1st hotel yesterday! Insofar as strategy (and I am a novice bidder, keep in mind), I think I would bid around $50/55 for the 3*, but drop your price to $40 if you don't get that and add the 2* - although, if you need to be near CHOP, I don't know that I'd even drop down to that 2* designation - and you may want to be careful with the 3* as well, just in case the PL map is inaccurate (I don't know what the rates of accuracy are on those PL maps) and you end up with the Wyndham again.

Hope this helps and good luck. CHOP is wonderful for what they do. My daughter was sick last year and went through them and I can't say enough good things about the drs. there - you will certainly be in good and capable hands.

first of all, best of luck with your daughter's surgery, CHOP is a great hospital, we had to use their emergency room during the Thanksgiving holiday. The PL 2* has not been identified and I cannot think of any another hotels besides the Sheraton and Hilton in West Philly. I would also contact the hospital to ask for a list of local hotels, this might give away the identity of the 2*. Also, I would call to see if they have a negotiated rate with the Hilton as it is owned by the UofP. I tried to check www.septa.org for any public transportation from the Wyndham, but the site is down, I would call the Wyndham and ask if they are aware of any public transportation to CHOP. Although this may not be the most ideal location, it is one of the lower priced 3* properties in the area. The Market-Frankford line has a stop at City Hall (15th and Market) that would take you to 40th street and Market, but you would have about a 4 block walk for both ends of your trip. There is probably a bus that can take you to the area of U of P, Septa also has a toll free customer service number, but I don't have this as their website is still down. The maps on PL are accurate and if you get a hotel that is outside of the boundaries, you should should be entitled to a refund. In my opinion, there is no hotels in the University Zone north of Market street as this area is either residential or part of the Drexel University campus.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We'll certainly try to help, but before suggesting a strategy for a new hotel...

I mapped the distance to the Hospital from the Wyndham and it appears to be less than 2 miles. Not sure how many times you think you'll be roundtripping it to/from the hospital, but i can't imagine this trip costing much more than $6-$7 (locals confirm the distance and/or possible cost?)

Even with 2-3 roundtrips a day it seems like this would be a feasible (and economical) alternative to purchasing an additional hotel.

Let us know if the above (plus the mass transit info) re-thinks your plans and you'll stick witih your current reservation or if you still want to purchase a second hotel.

Best wishes and thoughts for your daughter.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You folks are truly amazing . Thank you so much for your fabulous suggestions (and for the good wishes for my daughter). Here's an update on the my quest to find a hotel within walking distance of CHOP (we really want a place nearby so we can come and go with our 6 year old while the 8 year old is in the hospital).

1. Hotwire agreed to refund my money for the Wyndham reservation. The person I spoke with admitted that on some computers it is impossible to tell Hotwire's boundary of East/West Philly. He says Hotwire is working on it.

2. I talked to CHOP about affiliated hotels and the possibility of CHOP-related discounts. The person I talked to said that the 2 star hotel might be "Penn Towers". She said, off the record, it was pretty awful for the price ($110+). The same person said that sometimes the Sheraton has ~$100 rates for parents of inpatients.

3. The person I talked to at Sheraton University City didn't know about CHOP-discounts and told me to call again tomorrow. If we can get the discount, we may do it.

4. If we can't get the discount (or I feel lucky), I am going to do a priceline bid on the 3* University Area hotel and hope it is Sheraton University or the Hilton. What is your advise about my initial bid?

Best -- Karin S. (kstrom)

Also, I would call to see if they have a negotiated rate with the Hilton as it is owned by the UofP

The Penn Towers is the hotel owned by University of Pennsylvania. The Penn Towers is across the street from CHOP, but as you mentioned, the reviews are not very good.

You have two re-bid zones when bidding 3* in the University area. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE RE-BIDDING and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

I'd try as follows:

Select 3* University...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected close your browser and re-access pricleine however you did previously.

Select 3* University and re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75.

Let us know whatever you end up doing or if you have any questions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on my attempts to get a hotel near CHOP for Aug 10-12.

My bids of $71, $76, and $81 on the 3* hotel in the University Area of Philly (probably the Sheraton University) have been refused. I will try raising my bid a couple more times, and then am considering adding the 2* hotel (probably Penn Towers). Penn Towers gets pretty scathing reviews, but it is very close to CHOP and with a child having surgery, we probably won't be in the room enough to notice/care if the rooms are dirty and the services minimal. If I *do* decide to add a 2*, at what level do you suggest I start bidding?

Thanks,

Karin S

PS My back-up is a $130/night CHOP-rate at the Sheraton University (normal internet rate $199/night).

I have a newbie question: does deleting or adding days allow one to immediately rebid? If so, do people find that doing so never, sometimes, or usually results in accepted bids? I am particularly interested in results for Philly during August.

- Karin

Sorry if this is covered already ... I didn't see it in the FAQ.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]