Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark - Meadowlands (Jersey City) Westin Jersey City Newport

Andretto
By Andretto,
in

Hello everybody!

I'm travelling from Chile with my mother to NYC and will be staying there from September 29th (Saturday) till October 7th (Sunday).

I confess I am absolutely ignorant about Priceline and that I've used Hotwire a couple of times, with mixed results (one terrible experience in Paris included).

Like everybody else, I want to get the best deal, preferably in a double room with two beds in a Hotel in Manhattan where we can walk everywhere. I would very much appreciate any help you could provide, such as if it's better to wait till the last moment to check the rates in Hotwire or maybe check for a shorter stay and then recheck again.

Also, if possible, some suggestion about using Priceline would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thereuare, Since we will be staying in NY for 8 days and my budget is tight, I was thinking of spending no more than 1,500. That's a little under 200 daily, tops. If I could find a 4 star hotel for that amount, it would be terrific. If not, 3 stars would also work for me. Location is crucial. Thanks in advance.

Currently rates are high and i think a 4* hotel will be tough for these dates, but we can certainly give it a try. Before doing so, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID and/or staying outside the city (but in a location easily commutable) an option? For instance, i think you could get a nice 4* hotel in Jersey City for the last 3 nites of your stay for ~$100/nite, which would free up some funds to put towards the beginning nites of your trip. The 4* hotels in Jersey City are easily commutable into the city by PATH train (~15 minutes) but you are outside of the city and lose a bit of the convenience/buzz that makes NYC so special (and not sure how old you and/or your mom are, if commuting back/forth would be ok for her)

As noted above this is an expensive time of year in NYC so you may not be able to pick and choose your ideal location and stay within your budget, but likewise it may be a bit early to be compromising too much on what you'd really like for this stay.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare, I'm 40 years old and my mother, 68. Even though she's in pretty good shape (better than me, actually), and can walk for miles without a sweat, I don't think she'd feel very comfortable taking a train back to the hotel after dinner or a show at Broadway. And of course, taking a cab each time is out of the question. We love to walk and could take a train or a bus only during the daylight. Otherwise, I think she might feel uneasy.

Splitting the Priceline bid could be an option, if you could be so kind to explain to me how to do it.

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestions, so if staying in Jersey or Brooklyn for a couple of nights in a safe area (excuse my ignorance, but that's Hollywood to blame for the prejudices) can help me save important bucks, well, I say why not?

Thanks again for the valuable help, guidance and patience.

...I don't think she'd feel very comfortable taking a train back to the hotel after dinner or a show at Broadway. And of course, taking a cab each time is out of the question... so if staying in Jersey or Brooklyn for a couple of nights in a safe area... can help me save important bucks, well, I say why not?

To confirm...

Do you not yet have any tickets/committments for any the nites yet which would make staying outside of Manhttan do-able? While i do advise users to stay off the subway late at nite (after 10pm-11pm or so) i feel the PATH is safe. Of course users need to operate within their own comfort level, but my wife has no problem riding the PATH late at nite and i have take it as late as 2am-3am without any issues.

Also, note that the 'deal' for Jersey City is for the last nites of your stay... are you 'ok' not being in Manhattan for your last nites in the city?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I do not have any tickets/committments for any night so far, just the air tickets.

We would certainly prefer not to change hotels and stay in Manhattan the whole time.

By the way, to give you a better idea of what my mother has in mind, I just spoke to her and she told me that like 15 years ago she stayed at the Salisbury Hotel which is listed with 3 stars in their own website.

She said the Hotel was not fancy at all, but she enjoyed the location, because she could go walking almost everywhere from there, from Soho to the Central Park.

I just checked, and the double room costs an average of $280 per night, so I'm guessing that getting a decent hotel in that area for around $200 would be the ideal for her.

Let me know if you think that might be reasonable.

Thanks again for your valuable help.

You have a chance at a 3* hotel at $200 (bid price) or under... but while the Salisbury may be a well regarded 3* hotel, you're buying a hotel 'sight unseen' and need to be able to accept any hotel at the star rating (or higher) that you bid. So for example, in the CPS zone (where the Salisbury is located) there is also the 3.5* Hudson Hotel which has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.)... while this hotel is actually higher rated then the Salisbury, it may not be as comfortable for the two of you, would this be acceptable?

In other zones there are some hotels which may be up to a 15 mintue walk to the subway... would this be acceptable?

I just checked the Hudson Hotel, and although it looks very stylish and super cool, it's a Hotel that I'd go to with my wife rather than with my mother. You're right; the rooms are just too small!

If I could save some money, I wouldn't mind taking the chance of bidding for an "unseen hotel", giving that any hotel rated 3 stars or higher in NY should be ok, right?

On the other hand, a Hotel that's up to a 15 minute walk to the Subway would also be acceptable.

Is there any chance that we could do some kind of simulation where we can actually see two different options? One located in the CPS area with less stars and maybe more expensive and another one a little further away, but perhaps a better hotel and cheaper?

Thanks again for your kind help, thereuare.

...giving that any hotel rated 3 stars or higher in NY should be ok, right?

Depends upon how you define 'ok'... the Hudson hotel is higher rated than 3 stars yet not acceptable. I did look at photos of the Salisbury and i do think 3* and higher hotels via PRICELINE would be a bit nicer/upscale, but there are other things to consider such as location, size, amenities, etc.

Is there any chance that we could do some kind of simulation where we can actually see two different options? One located in the CPS area with less stars and maybe more expensive and another one a little further away, but perhaps a better hotel and cheaper?

Not really possible since nobody can say the actual price that would be needed to win a hotel nor is it known which hotel you'd actually receive. When i give 'warnings' about specific hotels/areas it's from the knowledge i have of the area (and seeing thousands of hotel wins). I figure if users are at least aware of the 'known' worst case scenario they're in a better position to make an educated decision which leads to a more positive trip. :)

Well, I'm willing to take my chances by bidding on Priceline or Hotwire. The Hudson Hotel would not be my first choice for this trip if I had to pay the full regular price, but if a could get a room with two beds for under $200 in that Hotel, I'd take it any day.

How would you suggest I proceed? Priceline or Hotwire? I don't want to abuse anymore from your help, but like I said before , I do not have any experience using Priceline. Thanks again for your kind help.

Searching HOTWIRE for your dates there is nothing offered at 3* or higher level that is priced at $200 or less... so that leaves you with PRICELINE as your only option at the moment within your budget.

At the 3* level in NY are Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS all acceptable? Should we include CPS (ie- Hudson Hotel)?? Any other zones you want to include (or any of these to exclude)?

Please confirm the zones you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

thereuare, I was checking the Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson and I must say that it looked wonderful, with fantastic views of Manhattan, very well located and the rates were much much lower than across the river ($199 for a room with two double beds, listed on PL). The Westin also looked great.

I would not mind at all staying at such an hotel, and according to the comments written by their guests, the PATH train was right around the corner and very safe to use. If I could get a good price on a Hotel such as the Hyatt (or Westin), I would stay there for the whole week especially if we could get a room for ~100! Or maybe even split the stay in two like you mentioned. It sounds like a good plan now and it might add something special to stay in two different parts of the city.

Your suggestion was very wise, after all. I'm more than ok with it!

Since your more recent post was about Jersey City, i assume you want to try this before the previously mentioned zones in Manhattan? While i don't think you'll likely receive a 4* hotel in Jersey City for the complete week ~$100, you can probably get at least 3 nites, and then we can 'fill-in' the remaining nites (at a likely much higher rate).

When bidding 4* in Jersey City you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Jersey City...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105

In an effort to get as many nites filled as you can, i would try the above for the following date combinations:

9/29-10/7

9/30-10/7

9/29-10/6

10/1-10/7

9/29-10/5

10/2-10/7

9/29-10/4

10/3-10/7

9/29-10/3

10/4-10/7

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thereuare, yesterday I booked the three last nights in the Westin Hotel, Jersey City, for $100 each night. PL offered aditional nights at the same rate, I said ok but in the end it didn't work.. Great deal anyway, so many tthanks for the advice. Now I need to book the first five nights, (9/29-10/03) ideally in Manhattan, in any of the areas you mentioned before. Will wait for your opinion and suggestions before proceeding. Thanks again!

P.S.: I absolulety need two separate beds, should I contact the hotel directly to ask them? Any suggestion regarding the room?

Congratulations on your success... this is an EXCELLENT deal for this time of year.

You should also take your mom 1 block towards the water where you'll get an amazing view of Manhattan (something you don't get while staying inside the city ;) ).

P.S.: I absolulety need two separate beds, should I contact the hotel directly to ask them?

Didn't see this part earlier, but i'd call the hotel and ask, although they will probably tell you that they will make a note of it but no guarantees and the room assigned will be based upon availability at check-in. If that's the case and worthwhile to you, i'd ask if there are any possibilities of paying now for an upgraded room to ensure two beds in the rooms (should an additional ~$20/nite be worth your while for such a room and/or be upgraded to something like the club floor if that is available)... or if told nothing guaranteed and no paid upgrade now is available you can also inquire if the hotel has rollaways should a room with only one bed be the only thing available at the time of check-in.

For help with the remaining nites of your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]