Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Fredericksburg Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Fredericksburg

Pluto123
By Pluto123,
in

I am hoping to make a trip to Washington DC to see the sites. I would arrive on Sunday, May 13th and out on May 16th. This is for two adults and two teens, four total. I am looking for a 3 star or higher for no more than $55 a night ($50 would be better). I would like to be close to a metro station, so we can use that. I would prefer to be outside of DC...perhaps Arlington, Crystal City area, or Rockville? I'm flexible on where as long as it's a decent area and close to Metro. I'm not sure if Hotwire or Priceline will give the best results. I realize that Priceline only guarantees two people, but am willing to take a chance. It looks like there may be something out by Dulles, but that does not appear to be near the metro. Do you have any advice? Thanks so much!

Besides the occupancy issue (which you say you're willing to accept the risk) the issue with PRICELINE is that you can receive a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone. Once you get outside of the 'core city' the metro stops become a bit more spread out and it becomes a bit tougher to ensure a hotel near a metro stop. If you enter 'Washington DC' into the search box on the top right of the board, are any of the zones geographically small enough that you'd be comfortable receiving a hotel anywhere within it?

If not, HOTWIRE is an option as you can take an educated guess as to the hotel you may receive, and therefore an educated guess as to how close/far from a metro stop it will be. HOWEVER, searching HOTWIRE for dates i don't see anything within your desired star rating and budget (even when searching for double occupancy... quad occupancy could potentially be even more)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click each of these links before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Looking at Priceline zones, the Crystal City Zone looks like it may be small enough to accept a bid anywhere. I guess that also brings up another question, is parking at hotels in this area going to be an extra charge? If so, maybe I'm better off staying out in the Dulles area and staying some place that has free parking? I've seen that some people have gotten hotels out there in the price range I'm looking at.

...is parking at hotels in this area going to be an extra charge?
I would think likely.

maybe I'm better off staying out in the Dulles area

... what metro station is in the Dulles area?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't believe there's a metro station nearby, but if I'm going to have to pay more for a hotel closer in, and then also have to pay to park another $15-$20 a night, it seems like it may be cheaper to stay farther out and then drive in. Not sure.

I'm not familiar with the parking situation in these zones, but hotels are won inexpensively here, but also realize you could easily be 20 miles from 'downtown'.

Let us know once you confirm which zone(s) you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I'm looking at the Sterling-Ashburn and the Dulles North zones for Priceline. I see that at one time Embassy Suites was a 3.5* hotel in Sterling-Ashburn. Is it possible that hotel has been downgraded to a 3*? I don't see any 3.5*s in that area now? Either way, I would like help with a biidding strategy for the area (possible starting bids and increments). Would also be open to Tyson's Corner area.

Also wondering, does Hotwire still show the suite icon for suite hotels? I haven't seen it recently.

Thanks!

Yes, the suite amenity is still used by HOTWIRE.

Are you ready to move forward and bid:

Dulles North - Herndon - Reston

Sterling - Ashburn

Tysons Corner - Falls Church

What is your desired star rating and maximum budget... we'll then be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

When bidding 3* in this area you have ONE re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Dulles North...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Sterling...

Select 3* Tysons Corner...

Select 3* Dulles North and Sterling...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Dulles North and Tysons Corner...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Dulles North and Sterling and Tysons Corner...

Bid $53, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed the bidding strategy almost exactly, and have not come up with an accepted bid yet. The only thing I added was a Tysons Corner and Sterling bid for $48 which was not accepted, and then added a re-bid zone and bid $50.

I guess I'm wondering what my strategy should be next? Should I try bidding in Maryland, or keep trying to bid in this zone?

Feeling a little stressed now.

I've followed the bidding strategy almost exactly, and have not come up with an accepted bid yet. The only thing I added was a Tysons Corner and Sterling bid for $48 which was not accepted, and then added a re-bid zone and bid $50.

I'm not following 100%, but you have only bid up to $50 so far... or only $50 for these two zones but have otherwise bid up to $55 in the zones included in the strategy above?

Should I try bidding in Maryland, or keep trying to bid in this zone?

Depends upon your plans for this trip... but you have to realize you're looking for a very low rate during a busy time in the area, as well as trying to only bid a zone where you're more likely to get free parking. Using our BiddingHelper.com What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable 3* hotel in this area for these dates?

What I've done is follow the bidding strategy you outlined above, all the way to bidding up to $55 using all three zones and adding the rebid zone. I did add one thing to the strategy you outlined, and that was adding a Tysons Corner and Sterling bid for $48 which was not accepted, and then added a re-bid zone and bid $50.

I looked a the BiddingHelper.com, but I'm not sure how to use it. When I input the dates, city, etc., it looks just like using the HOTWIRE link, or the PRICELINE link, but everything all on one page. Is it supposed to let me know how much to bid? I guess that is my question. What is a reasonable amount to bid for the areas I'm looking for. I must be out of the range, given that all my bids were turned down. And do I have to wait 72 hours now to bid again?

I looked a the BiddingHelper.com, but I'm not sure how to use it.

There are three TABS, one for HOTWIRE, one for PRICELINE, and one for Hotels.com. If you click the Hotels.com tab... what is the best available rate you're able to find at an acceptable 3* or better hotel in one of the zone(s) you're including in your bidding above?

And do I have to wait 72 hours now to bid again?

The lock-out period is only 24 hours now.

So with the best available rate you're able to find at $125/nite (and i presume that this is the least expensive and most hotels are somewhat more), you're trying to win something at ~$50/nite (or at a 60% discount). While we do see some wins that are this deeply discounted from regular retail rates, it doesn't happen each and every time, and is not a high probability bet. It's ok to try some lowball bids at this amount, but i wouldn't necessarily expect to win at this price point, and wouldn't use such a deep discount as the basis of my maximum bid.

With your 'next best option' at $125/nite, how much of a discount do you need to make an opaque purchase worthwhile?

So in other words, if I can get it for about $90-95 on PRICELINE it'd be worth it.

... and this would be a bit more realistic for your dates.

Are you ready/willing to bid up to $95 at this time? Still at the 3* level? Which zones are still acceptable?

Is there anyone out there familiar with Washington DC that can tell me what would be the best area to bid on, to keep the price low? It seems I am looking at a much higher price than I anticipated. Which areas would be good to get a three star hotel or higher in, and be within say 30 miles and are in decent areas?

You can search HOTWIRE for your dates to get a general feel for which zones are more expensive / cheaper than others and which ones are close to your desired star rating/budget... as well as review this thread for all the zones previously discussed.

Or better yet... on HOTWIRE there is a 3* hotel in the College Park-Betlsville zone for $67 with:

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Laundry, Free Parking

This matches previous reports for the Holiday Inn Greenbelt and that would be my best guess for this one. Assuming we're correct, the hotel indicates that the Greenbelt metro station is 3 miles away and they offer a complimentary shuttle. If for some reason you should receive a different property, or the shuttle is not convenient for you, it appears parking is available at the metro station for ~$5/day.

As well, the same hotel appears for the same price whether searching for 2adults/0children or 2adults/1chidren or 2adults/2children (i forget how many kids you have but seem to recall above you are actaully more than double occupancy)... so you can add your child and be assured of sleeping accommodations for all of you.

Does this work for your plans?

First, I have to thank you for all your help! I've got to check with the wife on the Holiday Inn...the only downside being it looks like it would be two double beds, and two queens would be best. But at this point we may not have a choice.

Let me ask you one more question. Any ideas what this 3*** hotel in Manassas would be? Sames dates: May 13-16. It has:

-Free parking, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Laundry, Smoke free, Pool, Business Center, High speed Internet Access.

There is also a 2.5** in the same area I would be curious about.

These are both on Hotwire.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]