Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental Barclay

simond
By simond,
in

First time user...would like help in developing bidding strategy for upcoming NY trip with family.

MAX Bid: $190

# people: 2 adults 2 kids

Area:

1st choice: MTW

Other areas willing to bid on are: MTS, MTE, Upper Midtown - Central Park South

Check in: 7/28 Check out: 8/2

Do not want to break up bids.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

simond

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The problem you are going to face is that Priceline only guarantees double occupancy... there are many hotel rooms in NYC (yes, even at the 4* level) that only have one bed in the room and/or can't accomoate a roll-away bed.

Hotwire does allow you to search for quad occupancy but all their offerings are above your maximum bid.

I would recommend the Beekman Tower where you can get a 1BR suite for $163/nite. There is one bed in the BR and a pull-out couch in the LR... if this would work for the four of you i would recommend that as the reviews are excellent. (you'll still need to search as if only two people are stayings, but the 1BR configurations are as described above)

Does that work for you or are you willing to take the risk of only one bed on priceline (not recommended in this area) or do you have any other ideas/plans?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just to clarify, the Beekman is in the MTE area.

It really is not recommended to bid for quad occupancy in NYC, and i'd seriously consider "What will you do if you get a room that doesn't accomodate all of you?"

If you choose to move forward anyway, this is how i would bid:

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS, MTW, and MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

I would not bid over $150 at this time based upon current rates.

Any questions feel free to ask and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried the bidding strategy that you suggested.

I entered the information as follows:

MTW 4*

$110 rejected

$115 added MTE rejected

$120 added MTE & UM/CPS rejected

Tried to bid:

MTE 4*

$110 and the notice came up that stated that I have already place a bid for this area.

It sounds as if I messed up on the strategy you suggested. When you said "if rejected ad re-bid zone" I thought I had to add another area we would be willing to stay i.e. MTE or UM/CPS

I did look in the help forum and saw that maybe I should have tried adding Upper West side because it doesn't have 4* hotels and it would appear that this would be a new bid even though MTW was searched before.

Could you help me get back on track in bidding? Do I have to wait 72 Hours?

Thanks

We can get you bidding once again but we'll have to revise the strategy, but before we do...

You actually have two re-bid zones available at the 4* level... the one you mentioned and another one. Let us know if you need help identifying the 2nd one and then we'll repost an updated strategy.

Thanks for your offer to get me back on track!

It looks like the 2 rebid zones that don't have 4* ratings are Upper West Side & Upper East Side right?

So if I start by selecting 4* MTW and get rejected I then Select 4* MTW & Upper West Side right?

If rejected again I select 4* MTW and Upper East Side right? (Each time raising my bid)

If rejected I just close my browser and then open again and start over by going to my next area i.e. MTE and repeat the above strategy.

Is this correct? Thanks again for your help!

You got it...

If you don't want to wait the 72 hours you can bid again immediately by using the following strategy:

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and re-bid zone1...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW and re-bid zone1...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS and MTW and re-bid zone1...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

You can try the above now, but if it fails you'll need to wait 72 hours from your last bid to try again (at which point you should use the original strategy posted... not this last one)

I think you're looking for trouble....

You know the risks of four in a room in NYC and perhaps if you were successful at $110 or $120 the risk would be worth it, but you're already up to $155/nite in your next round of bidding... add in priceline's fee and you're looking at ~$160/nite (plus taxes).

Why not just take the Beekman Towers for the extra $3 per nite and get a room that will have enough bedding to accomodate everyone and enough space to make things comfortable.

We can suggest another priceline strategy, but i don't understand the logic of spending more and taking on additional risk?

OK, the risk is yours, hope it works out ok. Here is an updated strategy to your new limit of $190. Good Luck and let us know how it goes... any questions feel free to ask.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline howver you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS, MTW, MTE, and re-bid zone2

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $190.

$170 bid was succesful at the Intercontinental The Barclay.

Thanks for your help!

Select 4* MTW...Rejected

Select 4* MTE...Rejected

Select 4* UM/CPS...Rejected

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...Rejected

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...Rejected

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously. Accepted :)

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTW...Rejected

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline howver you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS, MTW, MTE, and re-bid zone2

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $190.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]