Priceline Hotel: 5* Las Vegas (Strip) Venetian

skelman
By skelman,
in

This summer we shall be going on a cross-country drive from New York to California and back, with a stop in Las Vegas to get married. While we'll be reserving the rest of the hotels as we go -- just in case we decide to change our itinerary somewhat -- the wedding date is pretty much set.

We are planning to stay in Vegas for three nights -- July 21 through 24. My first attempt at bidding for a 5* on Priceline up to $120 didn't yield anything but a counteroffer of $162, which is about the same as what Hotwire has for the Venetian.

I usually don't care much for hotel ratings, but this is a rather special occasion so we'd like to stay at at least a 4*. The most attractive option at the moment is Golden Nugget downtown ($81 on Hotwire, $86 on Orbitz), but it would be great if we could find something on the Strip under $100.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We are planning to stay in Vegas for three nights -- July 21 through 24.  My first attempt at bidding for a 5* on Priceline up to $120 didn't yield anything but a counteroffer of $162, which is about the same as what Hotwire has for the Venetian.

You can always increase your bid following a counteroffer. Your stay includes Friday and Saturday nights, which are more expensive than Sun - Thurs. I'd suggest trying somewhere between the $120 and $140, and they hopefully should accept for all 3 nights. Or split your stay and bid $99 for Thursday at the Venetian, and a higher amount for Fri & Sat nights or stay somewhere else those nights less than $100. At least you'd get 1 night in the 5* Venetian.

We've decided that paying more than $120 per night would be excessive.

Ideally, we'd like to stay under $100, which makes Golden Nugget the only readily available 4* that I know of. Any chance that I could get something similar on the Strip in the $80-$100 range?

With the exceptioin if any large conventions are in town (i haven't looked) I think you'll have a better chance at this as your dates get closer, but i would book a cancellable back-up now just in case you're unsuccessful later.

The Golden Nugget is a nice property, but it's not where you want to be. If you'll be doing a lot of things 'in Vegas' (as it appears from your post) you'll either be spending additional time on busses ($2.50?/pp each way) or cab fare ($25) from Downtown to the Strip... better off spending the extra money on a strip location, imo.

So better 'overall' choices than the Nugget i believe are as follows:

Ballys for an average of $115/nite thru their website (should be cancellable up to 48-72 hours before check-in without penalty)

Imperial Palace for $81/nite available thru QB ($10 cancellation penalty, but this amounts to $3/nite which is a cheap 'insurance' policy)

Let us know your thoughts on the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I will talk to my fiancee and reserve either Bally's or Nugget as backup. However, we'll have a car and, from what I remember, parking on the Strip is cheap (or free?) so transportation costs is not much of an issue.

On a somewhat different note, is it worth while to try to bid for a 4* on the Strip through Priceline for, say, $90-$100 or is there a good chance to get a less desirable property this way?

Finally, am I correct to assume that Nugget is the only 4* hotel downtown if I were to try my luck with Priceline to get it?

I wouldn't lock in a low occupancy (summer) time of year in Vegas just yet unless it was exactly what i wanted (read: Venetian).

Even with your own trasportation i wouldn't want to waste the time traveling to/from the Strip if that's where i thought i'd be spending much of my time.

Golden Nuggest is the only 4* hotel reported, so chances are good, but then again you can always be the first to report a new hotel in the zone! Again, i wouldn't lock in a non-refundable option this early.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I once again tried Priceline for Venetian up to $130 per night, but no such luck.

Thus, I reserved Bally's for a total of $389.13 including taxes for three nights. They also promise 3% back if you sign up for their "Connection Card," which I did as well.

• 3 months later...

It took us a while, but we finally decided that splurging for a room at the Venetian for our wedding is worth it.

So I looked at Orbitz, which listed it at $220 per night, then at Hotwire which offered it at $178 and then got to bidding on Priceline. I started at $130 and was raising the price in $5 increments until the bid was accepted at $155. They constantly offered it back at $168 as a "one time opportunity" but I kept refusing.

Here

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]