International Flights with an infant

cucb81
By cucb81,
in

We are looking into fligths from MSP to Germany. On other websites they have been at $1600 for this summer. We are thinking of going mid July to mid August.

When I go to priceline.com it says that it doesn't provide infant seats. So I assume that I can either purchase a regular ticket or can I just purchase 3 tickets for my husband, myself and my other son and then call the airlines after I purchased a ticket on priceline and just pay for an infant ticket?

Or can I not buy my tickets on priceline?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

Then, if you go to PRICELINE and enter your route and dates, then click the "SUBMIT" button, at the bottom of the next page do you see a link to select the number of infants/unticketed passengers?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

just did. So.does anyone have experience with it when they contacted the carrier to add an infant?

I can't tell from this response whether you found the area thereuare mentioned, or gave up??

It is at the very bottom of the screen where you are supposed to start filling in the children's names and other detail.

"Infants:

Number of unticketed passengers under age 2" with a pull-down menu to select a number.

While I haven't done it, I'd guess you would get one of those middle row bulkhead seats where they fasten a bassinet to the bulkhead somehow.

Are you thinking of bidding via Priceline, or just booking with them on the retail side. The detail I initially found was on the bidding side, although I located the same buried text much further in on the retail side.

Romelle

HI Romelle,

Sorry, I wrote from my phone and I am not that handy with it ;-) What I meant was, that I found the box you mentioned with kids under 2. I have not booked yet as I want to find out first, if an airline would let me add an infant first. But I really want to bid on it.$1600 for 3 people each is just so much money.

HI Romelle,

Sorry, I wrote from my phone and I am not that handy with it ;-) What I meant was, that I found the box you mentioned with kids under 2. I have not booked yet as I want to find out first, if an airline would let me add an infant first. But I really want to bid on it.$1600 for 3 people each is just so much money.

Have you checked IcelandAir? They don't have so many available dates, but I can see August fares for $1138. (Which also suggests you might be successful in bidding that level or lower.)

Romelle

Thanks, we are checking Iceland air right now and the prices are good. Still two connections but they also charge less for our 2 year old. Great.

I noticed that some flights are still wih a 10 hour layover. I am starting to consider that priceline might still be a good option as long as it is easy to call the airline afterwards to add an infant on a lap. I am worried about that.

Do you think I can call priceline and ask what my chances are that an airline won't sell me an infant in a lap seat?

Have you researched your question on the Priceline site? There is a surprisingly lot of information in the Help area. I think I'd do that first, then if I didn't find anything I'd email them. The phone call would be my last choice. It is hard to get through, and then it is hard to communicate. You certainly can try.

You could also call the airlines directly, as well as search their web sites.

I guess I'm not quite sure just what your question is?? If you've ticked the little Priceline box that says you are taking an infant under 2, and then go on to purchase that ticket, I would assume you've bought a ticket that includes an infant??

Romelle

PS - when you bid, of course you can't select the schedule. On Priceline, it tells just what the average and worst case layovers are for domestic and international.

I see the issue as there is a differentiation between domestic/international travel.

From PRICELINE (current at time of posting):

We do not support bookings with unticketed infants for this trip. If you wish you can purchase the tickets for the other passengers, and then contact the carrier to arrange for the infant. The carrier will inform you of the applicable charges for the infant.
and
On international flights and flights to U.S. Territories, an infant must have a ticket, even if the infant sits on an adult's lap. In addition, full standard departure, arrival, passenger, airport and security taxes apply to all infants.

Personally i wouldn't take the risk unless you're willing to pay full (retail) fare for the infant should you encounter a problem, but to get a lap child rate 'attached' to an opaque PRICELINE airfare purchase, i think may require quite a bit of legwork/effort (if you are able to do it all at all)

Let us know whatever you decide to do for this trip or if we can be of further help.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

I wanted to give an update on our flight situation. I tried to bid on a flight and offered up to $900 but was always given a counteroffer. AT that point Iceland Air had flights for $1117 and a lower fare for a child of 2 years. So I wasn't going to offer more knowing that I could get a flight for that price and with times that I knew.

We still waited and the flights went up to $1300. But then yesterday United Airlines offered us a flight

from MSP to AMS (Amsterdam) for $840 with only one short connection. Needless to say we purchased it right away and are now in the market for a Hotel in Amsterdam ;-)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]