Hotwire Hotel: 4* Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) Westin Newport Jersey City

dotnetguru
By dotnetguru,
in

First of all i would like to thank this great forum and people who help here.you all are awesome.i had bid 3 to 4 times in past couple of days on priceline without success and found this website thru google. did not know there is lot of strategy in this bidding. went thru some of topics and tried to understand the process.hopefully i got it.

first i want to try 4* as i saw winning bids calendar for my dates is 130$ for 4*.will try for a week or what the experts recommendation here.as of april 1st 10 pm Rebid zones for 4* are 7 zones

Coney Island, Long Island City,Lower East Side,Madison Square Garden - Convention Area,Morningside Heights - Harlem,Queensborough Bridge,Upper East Side

My preferred areas...

Central Park South,Chelsea Area,Downtown - Financial District,Empire State Building Area,Hell's Kitchen,Midtown East,Midtown West,SoHo - Tribeca,Times Square - Theatre District,Upper West Side

MSG is also my preferred area but there are no 4* now.

based on winning bid calendar, minimum bid won was 130$ for my days.max budget i can go for a 4* is 150$. will move to 3.5* if not successful in a week.

my understanding is bid by first selecting my preferred 2 zones at a time and keep adding rebid zone and bid with raising 5 or 10 bucks.

since i have 10 zones and 7 rebid zones...i can start with 115$,120,125....150

This is the part i did not understand.price and selecting zones on each bid. please let me know if i am in right direction.thanks for all the help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Glad to hear you're finding the board helpful thus far.

Unfortunately this is an expensive time of year in NYC and based upon current rates i think $150 is not going to be enough for a 4* hotel in the zones above (and may not be enough for a 3.5* either, but we'll cross that bridge once we get there as a lot can change between now and then)

Using your SEVEN re-bid zones (always double check just before bidding using the strategy in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) i'd try:

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, HK, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, UWS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* Chelsea, DT, ESB, HK, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, UWS...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, DT, ESB, HK, MTE, MTW, Soho, TS, UWS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Based upon current rates i think you'll need to be over $200+ (and possibly well over) to be successful for these dates.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for the help.tried one more time.no luck.looks like its time to add 3.5.

for 3.5 and above, these are my preferred areas.CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG,MTE, MTW, TS.trying to stay in mid town.are there any areas to add or remove. can i add UWS,Soho,DT.worried about bad neighborhoods.

my rebid zones will be

Coney Island,Long Island City,Lower East Side,Morningside Heights - Harlem,Queensborough Bridge,Upper East Side

Thanks a lot.

for 3.5 and above, these are my preferred areas.CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG,MTE, MTW, TS.

Note that when bidding 3.5* nad under:

CPS- contains the Hudson Hotel which is well located but has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards), would this be acceptable?

MTE- some of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

can i add UWS,Soho,DT.worried about bad neighborhoods.

In what aspect... that if you should win a hotel in one of these zones the neighborhood would be 'bad'? And by 'bad neighborhood' to you mean poor location in respect to subway access or dangerous?

I'll add that currently rates (at all star levels) are quite high for these dates and i think $160 is going to be a tough win at current prices.

Not sure how flexible (or desperate) you are but if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is an option you should likely get a 4* hotel in Jersey City for the last two nites of your stay, then use the money saved to increase your budget for the first two nites of your stay in Manhattan.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

can i add UWS,Soho,DT.worried about bad neighborhoods

Generally speaking Soho and DT should be fine in terms of neighborhood, but you're getting more outside of midtown and you may not have as good access to the subway (you'll likely still be near some stop, but it may not be the line you use most frequently, which means you'll likely need to transfer more often). Personally if bidding 3.5* and under i would avoid UWS as once you get beyond 4* it's not really that convenient for the average visitor and the zone can go pretty far north.

Are you ready to start bidding at the 3.5* level? If so, did you want to stick with:

CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTW, TS

... or did you also want to include the DT and Soho zones?

Let us know your current gameplan and we'll try to assist further.

At the 3.5* level in NYC you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* HK and TS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW, HK...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

You might take a look at HOTWIRE. It will give you a general idea as to rates for your dates. I suspect you are still pretty far off for your chosen zones.

Sometimes when people run into something like this, they start looking at the further out zones - Jersey City, etc. You can get lots of good advice on this site about how to make those places work for you.

Romelle

There is a very nice deal for what i'm guessing is the Westin Jersey City for the first 2 or 3 nites of your stay at $150/nite... but you'd then likely need to change hotels and/or pay more for the 1st nite (or two) of your trip.

If you're interested in this option or have any questions about the area let us know.

Searching HOTWIRE for 5/17-5/20 or 5/18-5/20 there should be a 4* hotel offered for $153/nite (your price may differ by a few dollars), a 95% HOTWIRE customer review rating, and amenities of: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Free Internet, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

Best guess is that this is the Westin in Jersey City (or slight chance it's the Hyatt).

Don't confuse this with the 4* hotel that appears for the complete stay of 5/16-5/20 which is close in amenities but slightly different, as i think that is a different property.

You can either take the HOTWIRE offer above OR you can try bidding 4* in Jersey City.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and are pleased with the results.

If you need help with the LGA leg of your trip feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]