Priceline Hotel: 4* Montreal Hilton Bonaventure

starbuck1105
By starbuck1105,
in

Hello everyone,

First, I just discovered this board, and would like to say what a great resource it is!

Secondly, let me state up front that I am a newbie. I just reviewed the FAQs, newbie thread and the Montreal hotel list, so hopefully what I'm asking isn't TOO redundant. Anyway, I need some advice.

I'm going to be visiting Montreal in about two weeks. I had previously booked a room at the W Hotel - a place I've always wanted to stay at - for $200 US on Wednesday and Thursday night, and $250 US on Saturday night. That does not include taxes and parking.

Even though I've always wanted to stay at the W, I am starting to feel a little bit of sticker shock. I figure that once you add up the numbers, my three day hotel stay will run about $800.

That said, I was monkeying around on Hotwire today and saw that they have a rate of $139 per night for three nights for a 4.5 star hotel. That would allow me to save about $300 for the stay, after taxes and parking. They also have a 4 star hotel for $104 per night, which would allow me to save even more.

I guess my concern is that, if I book the 4.5 star hotel, I could end up at one of two hotels --- either the InterContinental Montreal, or the Lowe's Hotel Vogue. I guess I wouldn't think twice about this, except that another poster mentioned that he got the InterContinental and was unhappy with it. Are these both good hotels? Are they on par with the W in terms of quality?

I guess that, at this point, I'm just looking for some advice. Should I take my chances with the 4.5 star hotels, keep the reservation at the W, or go with the 4 star hotel in Montreal (which, it seems like will probably be the Sheraton, based on many of the recent posts).

On a semi-related note, I'd like to ask if you would have any reservations about booking a room at a 4.5 star hotel using Hotwire. The reason I ask is that my last Hotwire experience was very unsatisfactory. It was at a 4 star hotel, and the furniture was mis-matched, the carpet smelled of mildew and the hotel staff was non-responsive to basic requests. I really felt like a 2nd class citizen, and the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

For starters, what are the actual dates of your stay and what are the amenties that Hotwire shows for each property?

Also, we'd welcome (so please post) your previous Hotwire win to the board... you can post it as a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate state category. You can still see all of the details of that win (including the amenties associated with it) by going to Hotwire and clickign the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the reply.

Check-in date would be July 20. Check-out on July 23.

Ammenities by hotel:

4.5 star hotel:

$139 per room, per night.

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center.

4 star hotel:

$104 per room, per night.

Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center.

All hotels are in the "downtown Montreal" area.

Also, we'd welcome (so please post) your previous Hotwire win to the board... you can post it as a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate state category. You can still see all of the details of that win (including the amenties associated with it) by going to Hotwire and clickign the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

With this info we could comment more regarding your experience at the previous hotel (as well as contributing to the spirit of the board).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Made a reservation using Priceline, and I'm really upset about the part of the city where it ended up putting me at. At this point, I'd like to just go back to my original hotel.

Fortunately, I did purchase the travel insurance. If I want to go back to my old hotel, can I file a travel insurance claim and tell them that my trip was cancelled? How does this work. Any suggestions for how to work the system and get a refund?

I realize that this might seem a bit unethical to some, but I'm sure it must go on all the time. And I do feel as though I was deceived by the Priceline map --- the real location of the hotel is either on the outermost fringe of the highlighted area, or outside it completely.

First, did you post your Priceline win that you aren't satisfied with??

If you read the Terms of the Hotel Insurance, you cannot just 'cancel' the reservation and get your money back. You can go to the FAQ/Help section of Priceline to see all of the covered reasons.

These are abbreviated, check their website for the full list.

• unforeseeable Injury, Sickness or death
  • Your principal residence is made uninhabitable by fire or flood
  • automobile accident, substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure
  • hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, or subpoenaed

Also, "working the system" to get insurance to pay for something that isn't covered is not "unethical" but rather insurance fraud.

Please try to follow the rules and spirit of the board:

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

Montreal Hilton Bonaventure (4*)

Check-in: July 20, 2005

Check-out: July 23, 2005

Total Charges: $368.31 (US dollars) - includes travel insurance, taxes and fees.

Bid $102/night on Priceline and it was accepted. I am extremely concerned though, as its my understanding that the hotel is actually in Montreal's downtown/business district. Was under the impression from the map that the hotel was in the entertainment/Old Montreal district.

I have merged all of your thread, and will emphasize why it is important to post your winning bid and keep all your posts for the same stay in the same thread... i spent time last nite researching your Hotwire post above, when it appears that it was no longer necessary as you had already purchase on Priceline. :)

As far as you're insurance claim, if you try to cancel because you "cancelled your plans", i tihnk your claim will be denied as that is not an insurable event with the policy you bought.

All posts for the same dates/stay should go in the same thread... if the thread is in the Hotwire section of board and Priceline is ultimately used (or vice-versa) we'll move the thread to the correct forum once the thread is 'resolved' with a result.

We have found this works best for continuity and for users to follow a 'hotel hunt' from start to finish. As well, most users would only follow-up their post with the 'win', leaving the other thread with no resolution, which left future users wondering what eventually happened with the stay.

The current format of having one thread per stay helps keep the board 'neat' and easier to administer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]