How far away to look for major events?

j38129
By j38129,
in

I'm looking at trying to get a hotel for the 2012 US Grand Prix in November in Austin, Texas. Obviously, trying to find a room that hasn't been marked up to rack rate plus 20% in the Austin area will likely be impossible. So I want to use Priceline to get an excellent rate, but with the understanding that I'm going to have to look outside of the Austin area.

Based on other people's luck at trying to get rooms at known-in-advance major events (Super Bowls, auto races, Kentucky Derby, etc.), how far out (in miles) from the event site do you start to see deals becoming available? To use Austin for example: do I bother to look in Killeen (50 miles away)? San Antonio (60 miles)? College Station (80 miles)? Houston (120 miles)?

It all really depends on the event; for massive events, some cities may be completely sold out. In some instances, hotels may free up inventory closer to the stay, although that should not be counted on and one should be persistent in trying to lock something in. Unless this is a really insanely busy period, I definitely don't think you should have to go 50 miles out.

What are the date/s of travel for this stay?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

November 15-19 (the race itself is on the 18th). Obviously I have tons of time (they haven't even announced ticket sale dates yet), but I was doing some thinking and dreaming. They're expecting 100K in town for the race, so I'll probably start looking once I purchase the tickets.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]