Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Downtown - Financial District) Marriott New York Downtown

Teletubbie
By Teletubbie,
in

By the sound of it we can understand that you have never been in NY.

1. Basically almost the whole city has subway stations, in some cases you will need to change 1 subway to get to a specific place. You can see the subway map here and see what i mean.

2. If you are a first time tourist in the city then i suggest you bid on Midtown East, Midtown West and maybe even Times Square. Now i dont know if you will find something for $120 right now because it's 2-3 weeks before you arrive but the closer to your dates you bid the better chances you have to win a good price.

Those areas are basically the centre of the city and to most places you can walk and the rest you can take the subway, you will have a lot of stations in this area for different subway lines.

I would suggest to bid only on 4* hotels due to the fact that if you bid for something lower you can end up in a place that you will be very disappointed and will not enjoy your stay.

I'm coming to NY in mid April and will start looking for a hotel in those areas as well.

Hope i helped.

Thanks Verbat for the response. Yes, we are visiting NYC for the first time and I am not familiar with the area and the local transportation. As suggested by you, I will try those zones but based on bid history posted by others, it seems like it may be hard to find anything under $120 in those zones.

What are the alternate zones do yo recommend? Should I consider the NY Airports or the NJ Meadlowlands or NY Saddlebrook? Are those areas easily accessible by NY Metro?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I am travelling with family to NYC for a week during the first week of April.

Two comments regarding the above before moving forward:

1) what are the actual dates of your stay?

2) how many guests will you be? NOTE that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. This is especially risky in NYC since hotels have a higher percentage of rooms with only one bed, and many hotels consider rooms with 2 beds to be an 'upgrade'. Is this a risk you're willing to accept? If not, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I wouldnt suggest bidding on the airport areas. You are coming to NY for the first time and i suggest staying in the city so actually enjoy it. I can tell you this - Newark airport has a train from the airport to Penn station, it takes less than 20 minutes from what i remember but it's $15 each way so you will spend a lot of money on transportation. Same with JFK i think.

Now about the other area's like i said, when coming to NY it's better to stay in the city (Manhattan) because you can actually walk around the city and enjoy it.

As i said before, the closer you get to your dates the better your chance of getting a good price. Hotels see that they didnt sell all rooms and lower prices for priceline. Of course there is always the chance that all rooms are sold and you wont find anything but that never happened to me and i use priceline in NY several times a year.

Now if you want other areas i would suggest going more south in the city like: Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, SoHo - Tribeca and Downtown - Financial District. All the areas has 4* hotels bidding and i would only bid on the 4*. Those areas has good subway system and you can use it to get anywhere you want.

1) what are the actual dates of your stay?

2) how many guests will you be? NOTE that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed.

My travel dates are 4/2 - 4/8 and we will have 2 adults + 2 children aged 12. Should I consider just Hotwire instead of PL since I have to get a room with 2 double beds?

As i said before, the closer you get to your dates the better your chance of getting a good price. Hotels see that they didnt sell all rooms and lower prices for priceline. Of course there is always the chance that all rooms are sold and you wont find anything but that never happened to me and i use priceline in NY several times a year.

Should I also make a cancellable reservation at an alternate hotel, just in case I end up with nothing through PL? If so, what hotels do you recommend?

The best price that I found on Hotwire for a room with 2A + 2C occupancy is a 3* Downtown - SoHo - Financial District area hotel (Amenities:Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access) and the rate is $257.

Booking a refundable reservation as a back-up is always a good idea as it can't hurt, but it could help if rates should continue to move even higher from here. (try MAPS and HOTELS.com as the maps there will not only give you an easy view of rates to stay in your ideal area(s) along with your desired star rating, but will also give you a sense of how much more/less it would cost to stay closer/further away or higher/lower in star rating.

Once you have a back-up plan i think you'll have a better sense of rates and can adjust your maximum bid accordingly. You are already less than 2 weeks away from your trip so i wouldn't expect to see a dramatic change in rates (ie- the best rate now for 2a/2c being $257... i don't see that going to $120)

I'll also add that what i believe to be the Westin or Hyatt in Jersey City is available for 2a/2c for $160/nite. Both properties offer easy access to Manhattan via PATH train (~15 minute ride) and would be cheaper than any alternatives you currently have, but you do lose a bit of the feel/vibe/buzz of staying directly in NYC... perhaps SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID might be an option and some money for a few nites by staying in Jersey City, then use some of the savings to spend a bit more on a NYC property. Of course the trade-off here is that you'll need to change hotels mid-stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm not sure what to tell you really.

thereuare has a point with the whole occupancy thing. You can not be sure about 2 beds in the room, you can always ask but it's not a 100% deal.

I think that $257 is a high price. Like i said, i usually wait for the last few days to try and get really good prices - if a hotel see that in the next 2-3 days they have free rooms they do lower the prices a lot. It's better for them to sell a room for a lower price than not to sell at all so there is a logic behind it but of course you can never be sure about it.

Hotwire shows $152 for a 4* Hoboken - Jersey City - North Bergen area hotel for 2a/2c which I think you suspect is the Hyatt or the Westin at NJ, Meadowlands. I see this hotel goes for around $120 on PL. I am thinking if I should just go with 4* NJ-Meadowlands via PL for the entire stay? I do not want to swap hotels with a family and some luggage. How much would it cost for us to travel from the hotel to NYC by train?

We are landing in LGA and planning to buy a weekly pass for the NY Metro for local sightseeing. Is something similar available from NJ to NYC? Also on the return, our flight is at 8 am on Sunday 4/8. Would I be able to ride a train say at 6 am from NJ to LGA?

Thanks a bunch for all your help!!

I know that Hoboken is a really nice area in NJ, dont know much about the hotels there.

A ride to Manhattan will probably cost you like $2 one way with the PATH from Hoboken, dont know where the hotels located there so i donno if you need another transportation to the PATH station or not.

If you take a look at the Calendar Of Wins you will see that there are people that got 4* hotels in midtown at $150 and 3.5* for $120. I say keep trying it everyday, you have nothing to loose really.

Go to all the NY/NJ transportation websites and you can always check the schedule of all trains/subways you need.

I am thinking if I should just go with 4* NJ-Meadowlands via PL for the entire stay?

Do you mean the Meadowlands-Rutherford zone? If so, i wouldn't do that as you could receive the Sheraton Meadowlands which does not have easy access to mass transit into Manhattan (they do offer a shuttle to the Secaucus train station but it's not that convenient and is scheduled service, not 'on demand')... nor is the anything walkable nearby this hotel, so if you find yourself at the hotel during mealtime, you're basically captive to expensive hotel restaurant meals. As well, by using PRICELINE you still have the double/quad occupancy issue.

If you can manage to stretch your budget a bit the 4* on HOTWIRE with Restaurant, Fitness, Internet, Business, Tennis is likely the W Hoboken which would be well worth the money, imo. Easy access to Manhattan, good restaurants nearby which would be cheaper than meals in Manattan, and you'll probably like Hoboken too and spend some time wondering around this town... it's kid friendly and there is a new park on the waterfront right in front of the W Hotel that your kids might like.

We are landing in LGA and planning to buy a weekly pass for the NY Metro for local sightseeing. Is something similar available from NJ to NYC? Also on the return, our flight is at 8 am on Sunday 4/8. Would I be able to ride a train say at 6 am from NJ to LGA?

I think there is a weekly pass but nobody i know uses it as you need to have multiple rides a day on the PATH (per person) to make it worthwhile... you can get a 'smart card' for $5 which then allows you to purchase multi-trip in blocks of 10, 20, or 40 and i think buying 20 trips brings your cost down for $2/ride to $1.40/ride (maybe a bit more, mine just auto-replenishes so i don't think about it anymore). You could get to LGA via mass transit but better to just take a taxi from a private taxi company in Hoboken/Jersey city (~$55 plus toll and tip) as there is no direct service to LGA via the subway... you can shave a few dollars from this by taking the PATH train to Manhattan and then hailing a taxi there... saves you the toll (~$12) and then metered fare will run you about $35 instead of $55.

My travel dates are 4/2 - 4/8 and the MTE, MTW, and other central zones seem to go nowhere with my bids. I found on another board that someone got 4* Marriott in Financial District for $135 4/3 - 4/8. I tried 4/2 - 4/8 in Financial District and it got rejected even at $140, so I changed to 4/3 - 4/8 for $120 and got a counter offer. Perhaps I can get this for $130 or $135. I have some free rebid zones to play with. How is this location and should I take this zone and then bid for another hotel for 4/2?

Thanks.

how many guests will you be? NOTE that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request. This is especially risky in NYC since hotels have a higher percentage of rooms with only one bed, and many hotels consider rooms with 2 beds to be an 'upgrade'. Is this a risk you're willing to accept?

The standard rooms at this Marriott seems to be King bed or two double beds. The hotel website does not show it as an upgrade to have two double beds. Also on the website, the General Room amenities shows rollaway bed and pull-out sofa bed. I can always request the hotel a room with two double beds after I make the reservation. If I do not get that, I should be able to manage with the King bed and the rollaway bed and sofa bed.

Bid successful. Used the PRICELINE link from here. The daily rate for my dates is $399 on the Marriott website.

4* New York City (Downtown - Financial District) Marriott New York Downtown $130 4/3 - 4/8

Moderator: Can you please change this thread title to reflect the hotel and bid info.

Logged in my Marriott Rewards account and entered my reservation #. The reservation shows "Guest room, 1 King or 2 Double". Called the Marriott central reservations and the rep changed the number of guests to 4 and she put in a request for a room with two double beds.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for and the hotel was willing to accommodate your request for a room for four people.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

As this is our first-time visit to NYC, we were considering a tour on the first day and then go and see the attractions during the rest of our stay. The Real Tours of NY seems to be rated highly on TripAdvisor. However their group tours cost $70 per person. Do you have an opinion on this tour or do you recommend any other tour?

Thanks.

I've never taken a NYC tour so i can't comment too much, although i will add that when visiting a large city with good mass transit i tried to put together my own tours... do some research (not too much time left) and put together your own tour of the city using an unlimited metro card. If you want something more formal, and less expensive than the above, the NYC HopOn-HopOff tour is currently onsale HERE.

If i was going to spend $70 for a walking tour i would sooner consider going 'all out' and taking a Helicoptor Tour... it's more expensive and shorter in length, but probably more memorable. (NOTE: there was an accident 2-3 years ago, not sure of the tour company, so do so at your own risk) Although not in NYC, I've been in a helicopter once and it was an experience i won't forget.

My wife and I rented bikes and we cycled through Central Park in July. I would not recommend a single speed bike as there are several spots that will require uphill pedaling. We rented for one hour and did a complete loop of the park and it was barely enough time. You could grab a dirty water hot dog for lunch or pack a picnic if the weather is cooperative. A walk across Brooklyn Bridge is memorable, and having a pie at Grimaldi's under the bridge might be a reward for the effort.

thereuare:

I have seen in several threads where you recommend some local restaurants in NYC such as places to eat bagel, pizza, or sandwiches. These places seem to come from your experience and may not be easily discovered by tourists. Is there a post where you have listed all these places so that I can print it and take it with me, and as we are touring the city and if we are in that neighborhood where your recommended restaurant is located, we can give it a try. Thanks.

There is a thread here Local Things To Do In NYC but it's somewhat old (for instance, Caliente Cab Company doesn't have a deal anymore, i don't believe) but you can start there and i'll add this one near your hotel:

Adriene's Pizza Bar (54 Stone Street) a 10 minute walk from your hotel... excellent 'grandma style' pizza and a very good value for the quality of the pizza. It's a restaurant, not a slice shop, so whole pies only... inside has a cool vibe, but if the weather is nice, they have picnic tables in the front of the restaurant which give a European feel in the middle of NYC.

From the previous thread linked above, taking the subway to Brooklyn and eating Grimaldi's under the bridge(try to get there near opening to avoid the always constant line), then walking the Brooklyn Bridge back while taking in the skyline is a great event during nice weather.

Ess-A-Bagel - not near your hotel but if you find yourself starting the day near here, you can start a little earlier and have breakfast here (Third Ave at 51st St)

Best $6 dinner in the city is the

on the SOUTHWEST corner of 53rd and Sixth Ave (you want the cart that is there 7:30pm-4:00am (get the white sauce and hot sauce on the side... douse with white sauce and then very sparingly use the hot sauce to taste as it SUPER hot (but oh so good))

A new find of mine as well: Jin NYC (252 Broome St). This is off the beaten path so you'll need to look at a map before going, but the 'deal' here is the $3.50 Happy Hour menu (3pm-7pm Mon-Fri, noon-7pm Sat-Sun)... lots of sushi roll options, salads (the avocado salad is great and plenty of avocado), beers, wines, and a few kitchen items all for $3.50 (unfortunately just increased this month from $3 but still well worth it). Afterwards you can walk to Economy Candy (108 Rivington) for a throwback in time and all your favorite candies you grew up with... everything from Marathon bars to those morally incorrectly candy cigarettes)... the chocolate covered graham crackers they sell by the pound are incredible (especially the dark chocolate if you like dark chocolate... if not the milk chocolate are good as well).

Also in the Asian themed motive, i'm not such a fan but Korean BBQ is fun if you don't have anything like it where you are from. You order raw meats and YOU cook it in a BBQ pit in the middle of the table. Gyu-Kaku has a few locations in the city and a good happy hour with meat dishes ranging starting at $3.50 (you need 2-3 servings per person at the table)

If you let me know what other types of food you like, and budget, i can try to make some other suggestions.

I am going to NYC from April 13th to April 16th. It is now the third thread I have seen stating that somebody got the Marriott for 125-130 dollars a night. I am wondering if anyone at all can help me replicate that success by mapping out a list of the bids and zones I need to put to get this kind of deal. It would be incredible if I could end up with a 4 star, since my budget is max like 135 a night, not including taxes.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

OP here. Just got back from my NYC trip. Thank you all for the help. The trip went very well and we really enjoyed our visit to NYC.

The Marriott Downtown honored our request for a room with 2 double beds. The hotel is right next door to the 9/11 Memorial. Nice clean comfortable rooms, good view and close to the subway stations. Found a nice breakfast place close by called George's.

Based on the recommendation here, checked out the food truck at 56th and 6th Ave. The lines were long but the food was excellent. Watch out for the knock offs which look similar and are parked at the corners of the same intersection. The authentic ones have the hoodie shirts which says 56th and 6th. They have a website.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]