NYC to San Diego Flexible in August Priceline

bigmets31
By bigmets31,
in

I've never used Priceline before or bididng on airfare before.

I am trying to book a flight for 2 from LGA, JFK or Islip to San Diego, CA. I am very flexible in August. I want to depart August 6th through the 19th and return the latest the 26th. I want a 7 day trip.

What's the best way to get the cheapest price?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What is the best fare you're currently able to find thru conventional booking channels for these dates? What is the breakdown of base fare and taxes/fees? How much of a discount would you need to make an opaque purchase worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The lowest rate as of today is $401 with taxes and fees. I've seen these prices range from 330 to above 400 per ticket with taxes and fees. I've read articles that it is best to buy airline tickets 6 weeks in advance because that is when they're cheapest. I just did that as an experiment today for the first week of June and they were indeed the lowest prices for the month of June. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not, but I would like to pay around 300 per ticket with taxes and fees if that's possible.

I've read articles that it is best to buy airline tickets 6 weeks in advance because that is when they're cheapest.

Travel has changed over the last 10 years (as well as the last 5 years and even 2 years) and a lot of these 'old rules' don't necessarily apply anymore. Capacity is down, there are fewer empty seats on airplanes, and oil is at historical levels... and as a result rates are fairly high from a historical standpoint.

With the above noted, see the first and second posts of this Priceline Airfare Re-Bidding thread and you can get an almost unlimited number of bidding opportunities. You can start low at whatever level you'd like and increase by $5-$25 per bid (more at the lower bid amounts and less at the more realistic higher bid amounts) until you reach your maximum bid.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]