Hawaii Car Rental Honolulu International Airport (HNL)

DrumsVocalsKeys
By DrumsVocalsKeys,
in

I would start at $15/day for a fullsize car (since changing your car class allows you to avoid the 24 hour lock-out you could try different car classes one after another) and then every 24 hours try $17, $19 and then $21.

If this is rejected HOTWIRE currently has a Fullsize car for $23/day.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi all, I am looking for a car rental with pick up at the Honolulu International Airport (HNL) from 04/17/2012 at 1:00PM until 04/24/2012 at 9:00PM.

I'm looking at $20 - 22 a day. I'm a pretty big guy (6'6") and need something with decent leg room.

Full-size car

Intermediate SUV

Full-size SUV

Convertible

Jeep Wrangler

Thanks in advance!

hotwire.com is showing a full-size for $23 during your stay, and Expedia.com is showing slightly cheaper than that.

if i were you i'd be bidding on priceline.com for a full-size (and increasing bids using your higher vehicle categories for free rebids). if i were in a hurry i'd probably start at $16, and if i weren't in a hurry i'd start at $13... good luck!

hotwire.com is showing a full-size for $23 during your stay, and Expedia.com is showing slightly cheaper than that.

if i were you i'd be bidding on priceline.com for a full-size (and increasing bids using your higher vehicle categories for free rebids). if i were in a hurry i'd probably start at $16, and if i weren't in a hurry i'd start at $13... good luck!

Thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately, the additional taxes and fees in Hawaii are killing me! The base price is reasonable (a little under $200), but the final price is sky high (nearly $300 and in many cases way above that). Our max after taxes and fees is $200. The trip is already costing us a pretty penny and I'm just trying to find ways to save some money.

I think I'm going to do a fee priceline bids. I may even start my bids as low as $9.00 a day (it wouldn't hurt, right?).

If anyone else in the community would like to chime in, feel free!

You may get something in the ~$10 range for a compact or economy, but not likely for a fullsize or higher. You can certainly try, and have nothing to lose by doing so, but it's just not likely realistic, imo.

It's not uncommon for car rental fees/taxes to increase the base rate by 50% or more, especially at airport locations. It probably won't help much when you factor in the cost of a taxi to/from the airport, but you can also look into renting a car near your hotel which would likely have a higher base rate but potentially lower fees/taxes. Ideally, if you don't need a car for each day of your trip, you could even just rent a vehicle for the one/two days that you need, but then you're also faxed with the expensive of getting to your hotel upon arriving (assuming you're heading to Waikiki, i'd guess $25-$35 each way via taxi, which is already a large chunk of your rental budget)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]