ATL Minivan 4/1 - 4/8

elcasar
By elcasar,
in

Looking to rent a minivan in Atlanta from 4/1 @ 17:00 to 4/8 @ 14:30. Cheapest price seems to be about $875/week before taxes/fees on priceline retail and also Expedia and other sites. that works out to $125/day. This seems really high to me. Is this because it's Spring break? The weeks before are $400/week on priceline, the following week is also $875/week then it goes back down to $400/week. Should I expect the price to come down closer to my travel date?

I bid $50/day, rejected, $55/day, rejected, $60/day rejected. If I see that the retail price drops, can I rebid at a lower amount as long as I have waited 24 hours? I.E. could I rebid at $50/day? I have a few weeks here.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Besides Spring Break / Easter, the issue is likely compounded by trying for a 'specialty' vehicle like a minivan... there just are usually that many of them on the lot (as most rental car lots are focused/designed on their primary customer which is business travelers) and therefore they are not typically discounted very heavily. Take the lot's vehicle make up (lots of 'regular' cars and few minivans), mix that with a time period when minivans become in higher demand than 'standard vehicles' (due to family vacations over Easter), and the result is the higher than usual prices you're seeing.

While standard vehicles may be in demand too, and priced higher than usual, the difference my not be as dramatic as you're seeing on rental cars.

Do you need a minivan for this trip or might a 'regular' vehicle do?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After 24 hours each bid is a 'clean slate' and you can bid whatever amount you'd like... more money, less, or the same.

Since it appears you need a minivan, i would book one thru a 'retail' that is fully refundable as this will protect you from rates moving higher from here and/or selling out. This also gives you a firm 'price to beat' as you continue to try PRICELINE / HOTWIRE

Keep us updated on your progress an dlet us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For a minivan or full-size SUV HOTWIRE is showing $130+/day... this indicates very high demand and will likely be a tough win, imo. Have you booked a refundable back-up reservation?

I should point out if I didn't that I started out trying to book at the airport. I went as high as $100/day and was still rejected.

I ended up booking a minivan from a downtown hertz location via priceline retail, and shortening my rental to 4/2-4/7. Doing this I managed to get a rate of $60/day before taxes and fees, or $77/day with taxes and fees included. It is a convenient location for me and the price difference more than makes up for what the cost of transport to and from the airport would be (which will in fact be nothing since family will pick us up). Many thanks for your advice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]