MEM to London on Priceline

jmtrim1
By jmtrim1,
in

I'd appreciate any advice or opinion about bidding for a ticket on Priceline.

1 Adult traveling from Memphis to London (any airport) anytime on Aug. 7 and returning Aug. 15 or 16.

I've tried four bids on Priceline that have all be rejected. 350, 500, 600, 700 (plus tax). Priceline returns a counter offer of $1101. I found a price of $1030 on Hotwire. Priceline says I should be able to expect up to a 40% discount off of the $1130 published fare. I've never tried this before and would appreciate advice on what I should realistically expect to pay. I have to go, so I'll bay the 1030 if I have to. I can buy immediately if a good price comes up.

Thanks!

Jim

jmtrim1

Direct rates are close to your hotwire rate. Continental has $1025, US Air has $1089, and Delta has $1094.

If you book on Hotwire or Priceline, you're giving up the frequent flyer miles that normally come with flights. Booking directly sometimes offers bonus miles (1,000 for Continental & Delta online), so depending on how often you fly, booking directly may have its benefits. This trip would give you approx. 5,400 miles including the 1,000 bonus for Continental.com purchases.

You will likely receive, at best, a nominal discount booking on priceline. As the previous poster noted, the frequent flyer miles and flexibility to choose your own schedule are worth more. Unfortunately, the opaque services are pretty worthless on airfares these days -- particularly to Europe.

Consider using priceline for your hotels in Europe if you need them. That's far, far more likely to net you a deal.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]