Flight from CLT to Germany (MUC) July 26 thru Aug 6

CheapoHank
By CheapoHank,
in

Hi,

I read the thread about the person bidding Priceline for a flight to France this summer. I am looking to do something similar except bid on a flight to Germany from Jul 26 to Aug 6 from Charlotte, NC. I was curious about the bid amount and the layover times. The site you linked showing layover times says that it was last updated in 2005. Is the info still relevant? Also, searching all the sites and the airfare checker, I am seeing prices around $1500-$1600. I remember hearing about some $500 deals to Germany. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hank

Hank,

I pulled that layover time right from Priceline when I typed the response. It should still be current, although it never hurts to recheck such things.

A few years ago there were indeed $500 deals to Germany. I actually found a $400 deal from MSP to London.

Lots of things have changed. Fuel is more expensive, tourism is up, and your trip is in the always higher summer time.

You've got lots of time. Research out the best rate you can find, start at maybe 50%, and work up gradually.

For your trip, a Lufthansa $1557 is the lowest I can see right now. An odd USAir/Singapore Air into Frankfurt is $1208.

Romelle

Thanks for the advice! Are you saying research the prices and start my priceline offers at 50%? Also, you feel that prices could drop in the next few months?

I really can't say about the prices. Farecompare suggests prices dip around 3 to 5 months out, with domestic ones more on the shorter side, and international ones more on the longer side.

The beauty of bidding is that it is free. You can start as low as you like, since the only cost to you is a little of your time. PRICELINE sometimes advertises 40 to 60% savings. I doubt the air savings in summer will be in that range, but I find it really annoying to get a bid accepted right away. I know I "left money on the table". By starting low, you will be sure you didn't miss any savings.

I'm a member, not a moderator, but if I were bidding your trip I'd start about at the 50% mark.

Romelle

PS - lots of the travel web sites selling air have "fare watchers/alerts". You enter your trip with them, and they send you an email when prices change. Off hand I know Kayak and Travelocity do, but you could search for others. I've got several set right now for a trip I'm considering.

Can you bid on a multi-destination flight?

I found a from CLT to Zurich(ZRH) Switzerland then Paris to CLT for the return for $11xx. Zurich is just closer to where I'm looking to go in Germany. And departing from somewhere in France is ideal since that is the last destination we want to see. But I would love to be able to throw a $600 bid on that flight, just don't see the option.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]