Will rising gas prices affect car rental prices?

KatiesMom
By KatiesMom,
in

Gas prices are rising and going through the roof.

I rarely rent cars, but will be doing so in June in Chicago. I wonder if there is any chance rental prices will rise as gas prices rise, or are the two unrelated? Also, if I make a reservation now does that price stick or can the rental agency up it if prices go up?

I'm pretty sure I will be renting the car through Enterprise directly and not via Priceline or Hotwire because I have special circumstances. We're getting the car at the end of our Chicago stay to take it to Wisconsin for the rest of our trip. We want to pick the car up in downtown Chicago and return it to O'Hare airport. Enterprise will pick us up at our hotel and bring us to their nearby office at no charge for the pick up. This saves time and money so we don't have to schlep to the airport (45 minutes away) to pick up the car. We can return the car to O'Hare. The price quoted was $201.04. The cheapest price I have found so far for rental cars is with Thrifty for $197.83 but that would be airport pick up/drop off.

I have a verbal noncommittal reservation with Enterprise. Just wondering if there would be any advantage to firming it up now.

You'll have to check the terms of the reservation, but rental cars are usually fully refundable. If that's the case, you have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by making the reservation now and locking this price... if it goes down you cancel and re-book, if it goes up you're protect with the lower price.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

Many rental car firms don't increase their car rentals as the gas prices go up. The rent that they charge you is mostly based on the size/type of car you are hiring. Plus, the they give you the option to pay for the gas you make use of in your travel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]