Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Florida Keys (Key West) Casa Marina Key West

pinkflamingo
By pinkflamingo,
in

No, in fact I actually had to pay $10 for my high speed internet during my last 3 Wyndham stays, the indignity of it all..... :) My only consolation was that I paid about $55 for the room and the chap next to me in the breakfast line paid $189 for the same room. I felt pretty smug at that point.... :)

LOL. I feel the same way. All I really want is a room with a balcony because we are bringing our 4 year old son who goes to sleep at 8 pm... so either DH and I

A. sit in the dark and try to fall asleep at 8

B. make cocktails in the bathroom- woo hoo!

or

C. sit on our nice breezy "parking lot overlooking" balcony. That's all I really want. Maybe I will try faxing the concierge.

of course! I would love a suite with a balcony. Otherwise a regular double room with a balcony would be fine. The balcony is important. I was reading the $20 trick last night... so scared to look like a jack*ss to pull it off... but it is worth a try, LOL!

somehow I think it's got to be more than a $20 !

It's a long story, but I am much happier with the Casa Marina. I originally bid before I discovered this forum and I was very disappointed with La Concha/crowne plaza. I know it is a lovely place but it is totally inappropriate for a family vacation... I am much happier staying at the CM away from all the bars and drunks.

I am hoping it will be somewhat like the Don Cesar in st pete beach, we stayed there with relatives in March this year. Loved it to bits! (And, no I didn't get the reservation on PL or HW- it was paid for by my dad as a gift.)

But back to the original subject, I think CM actually does rate a 3.5-4 star hotel. La Concha is firmly a 3 star hotel which was my problem with it. JMHO, but I will update after we get back!

It's a long story, but I am much happier with the Casa Marina. I originally bid before I discovered this forum and I was very disappointed with La Concha/crowne plaza. I know it is a lovely place but it is totally inappropriate for a family vacation... I am much happier staying at the CM away from all the bars and drunks.

I am hoping it will be somewhat like the Don Cesar in st pete beach, we stayed there with relatives in March this year. Loved it to bits! (And, no I didn't get the reservation on PL or HW- it was paid for by my dad as a gift.)

But back to the original subject, I think CM actually does rate a 3.5-4 star hotel. La Concha is firmly a 3 star hotel which was my problem with it. JMHO, but I will update after we get back!

well regardless of whether it's 3.5* or 4*

when you use HOTWIRE they're usually NOT accurate about hotel ratings

So my new question is this: Upgrade now or later?

I spoke to the reservations manager at the hotel and he told me he was not "allowed" to upgrade my room to a balcony, as I had requested because it is a HW booking. He did give my request of Non smoking double room, which was very gracious.

He did give me the option of upgrading for $30/night... he promised he would give me a nice room if I did that ($150 for 5 nights).

Here is what I am wondering... should I fork over the $150 now, and possibly end up with a great room now, especially because they will have more rooms available now versus the day of my arrival?

OR

Should I go and see if I can nicely request a balcony when I get there. If I end up with a bad room, I can always go downstairs and ask for a nicer room politely again and if that does not work, I can whip out the plastic and give them the $150.

In other words, should I do the upgrade now or upgrade later

thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: I do not expect the hotel to be full because we are arriving on a SUnday and leaving on Friday off season in Key West...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]