Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Maui (Kaanapali) The Royal Lahaina

slyspif
By slyspif,
in

Hello Thereuare and Board Members,

I have been looking and clicking through your links trying to find a great deal during a peak time. I see a lot of wins in the 4* and Resort categories, but with the resort fees I am still looking at $200 plus per night. Any suggestions on a strategy for a lower star level? Do you see many wins in the lower star levels?

Thank you in advance!

My guess is that it's best to break up your reservation into shorter periods. Feb/March is quite busy with whale watching etc, it's also a popular time for conferences. There are still some days when the hotels aren't that full. The way to find these is to bid low say for 3 days at a time using a sliding window over the duration of your vacation. By low I mean starting at about $110. I recently got the Hyatt for the in-laws for $120 doing this. I'm still trying for the other days, though they have points reservations booked. If you want to find deals be prepared to hotel hop. The 4* propreties seem as expensive as the resorts. I don't have much experience bidding on the 3 and 3.5 star properties. It seems like the Royal Lahaina is one that is won quite a bit.

Most users traveling to hawaii are looking for the 'reosrt' experience which is why there are much more wins at the Resort/4* level than at the lower rated properties.

Ideally what is your maximum budget per nite (before fees and taxes) for this trip? Have you tried any PRICELINE bidding yet? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Lazycash,

If you would start a NEW TOPIC for your own trip you could keep that thread updated with your bidding history, then provide a link to your thread when you reply to another thread for the same area ;)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks Thereuare, Lazycash, and Lapuravida,

I will look at splitting my bid. I have used this board since 2005, so I am familiar (but rusty) on the tactics. My family is visiting Maui and I am a little shocked at the prices. My maximum budget would be $150/night all in. I do have a backup reservation.

So, not too much in terms of lower star level wins on either HOTWIRE or PRICELINE?!?

Well, it is the Aston Maui Lu, but I will spend more...

The Maui Lu has a weekly rate of $99 dollars a night. So if I was doing this I would bid up to or a bit more than that for any of the 3*/2* places in Kaanapali, which I think are nicer. But I wouldn't do this until I had exhausted my options for Resorts and 4* places, followed by 3.5 stars. I have stayed at the Kamaole Sands which was fine and the Maui Coast looks OK but they are across the street from the beach which isn't great.

Well, it is the Aston Maui Lu, but I will spend more...

Is there a particular part of Maui you want to stay in or are you open to any? I personally would avoid the Aston Lu, its a very dated property with semi poor reviews. Have you checked vrbo.com in the Kihei area for a backup, there are some condos that are close to your price range. Keep in mind that if your budget is all in at $150/nt, you'll need to factor in a resort fee for just about anything you win on Priceline for Maui.

How many times are you willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* Condo in the Lahaina zone for $133/nite with: Condo, Studio, Pool, Kitchenette, Golf, A/C, Front Desk

This is a match for the Outrigger Aina Nalu and that would be my best guess for this one, which seems to get pretty good reviews (i haven't look at the options for the remaining nites of this date range, but this property is not offered when adding an additional nite to this date range)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I dont have a problem moving around, so I would split 3 times. I would like to be next to the beach however. I have been looking at hotel rates to determine what days to split off, and dont see much change in the rates. Am I doing this right?

I did bid today, slowly adding rebid zones I went $120 to $130 resorts only, with the last bid including 4* ~ no go. At $125 Priceline "thought" about it for a very long time and I thought I had it, but no.

Thanks to the other board members too for their input!

I fly into OGG, but will go anywhere within 30 miles.

Pretty much. My preference is to start splitting off just 1 day at the beginning and if that doesn't yield a win try splitting off the day at the end. That also means you have the option to not move if you can id it on HOTWIRE or are prepared to just book the normal rate for the extra night. I then move down to progressively shorter periods. Each split gives you a fresh set of bidding rounds so I start low again.

At current rates $130 would be a HUGE win... i'd be bidding up to your maximum bid at this point (especially for the complete date range) and i'd use bigger increments than $2-$3 per re-bid... what is the best rate you're able to find at an 4*/Resort class hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Today I won Royal Lahaina for $160 on HOTWIRE.

3.5*

Amenities Beachfront PropertyPool(s)Restaurant(s)Laundry Facilities (self-service)Golf NearbyTennis Nearby

Prior to using Hotwire, I bid through PRICELINE starting at $125 and up $5 increments adding rebid zones (all areas) until I reached $145. Not accepted.

Dates as are mentioned. Used PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on this site from the beginning searches through my Hotwire win.

Thank you for all the assistance and encouragement from the board. What a great site!

Slyspif

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the purchase and looking forward to your trip. We're happy to hear you've enjoyed the board and we looking forward to hearing about, and helping with, your future travel purchases.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Have a great trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]