Priceline Hotel: trying for <$60/night in DC

MrsWelch
By MrsWelch,
in

I'm taking my daughter and her girl scout troop (and their moms!) to DC in June for the 100th Anniversary celebration. We're paying for this trip with money that the 6-10 year olds have earned fundraising.

I'm hoping to pay 60$ per night or less...

Well, so far- I read my msgs here and used the PRICELINE link above. I tried 3*+ and started at 50, working my way up to 60. I included Cnvn/Cap Hill, White House, DC NE, Georgetown FB, Georgetown N, Crystal City, and Arlington... in about 15 combinations over the course of an hour.

No luck. I'm not tied to any particular area- except that we must be able to walk/ use the metro easily. (Can't tell from the maps if the other regions would be as easily accessible to the city...??)

Are my expectations unreasonable? Any suggestions? Is it too far out? Do I need to raise my price? Alternately, what can you tell me about 2* and 2.5* hotels? I have only ever stayed in 3+ and do not want to take the girls somewhere unsavory... Help!

Thank you so much!

-Mrs Welch, Girl Scout Leader

Welcome to BetterBidding!

My oldest is in the process of selling DoseeDos, Somoas, and the likes right now ;)

As rates are date specific, what are the dates that you're bidding for and how many rooms? Also, as i'm sure budget is an issue, are you seeking more than double occupancy per room?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

(Two moms + two girls per room).

The above is a potential issue in bidding for this stay...

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request.

If this is not a risk you're willing to accept, HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc). The trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, but in this situation, it ensures no issues with the number of guests in the room.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For the zones that you have bid, at current prices i think you'll going to need to bid at least as high as $70-$85 to be successful, and if you are successful it will more than likely bout outside of the city center and more in one of the outlying suburbs (like Arlington).

With the lower star rated hotels some can be hidden gems, while with others they can be places you can't wait to leave; unfortunately with PRICELINE / HOTWIRE you can't choose which type you will get, which is why we typically recommend sticking with the higher rated hotels.

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels? Perhaps you can try using MAPS and HOTELS.com to find something near a metro station and within your budget?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]