DAL Dallas Midsize Alamo

thesporq
By thesporq,
in

This requires some caveats, as I don't know if this is exclusive to either the airport or area, but I thought I would share anyway.

When looking on Hotwire for a rental car, I put in my flight times, since chilling at the airport is oddly enough, not one of my all time favorite activities. I got results from 22-27 bucks a day depending on car size[Remember, it's Hotwire]

On a whim, I decided to play around with the pick up and drop off times, wound up finding rates starting at 15 bucks.

By bringing the car back only 2 hours earlier, I saved about 8 dollars a day.

Why would that be? Is the demand to keep a car out a couple of hours enough to jack the rates that much?

Again, I don't know if that would work in every situation. This was for Dallas-Love Field for next month.

But if you aren't on an ironclad schedule, changing your times might save some cash.

You can use that for a down payment on a Cinnabon at the airport food court.

Congratulations on your success!

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the details of your purchase... car size won, rental company, dates and rental rate per day (also, this was on HOTWIRE?)

We'll then edit your topic title accordingly and be able to better answer the questions in your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the follow-up.

For rentals of 4 days or less car rental companies usually work on a daily rate basis. Once the rental is 4+ days the rate typically reverts to a weekly rate, for which the total is the same regardless if you're renting for 4days+10 hours or for 7 full days. Depending upon the discount for a weekly rental, sometimes the rate can go down when you book for 5 days vs. 4 days (even though you get an extra day), but in your instance because the weekly rate includes 2 1/2 days you wouldn't be using, this unused time caused the rate to be substantially higher than when booking for just the 4 days.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]