FLL Car Rental - how far in advance?

BobbyC777
By BobbyC777,
in

Gang -

Just registered. I have used both Hotwire and Priceline before but I'm hoping this site will help me do it better going forward.

I know that "timing is everything" and I'm sure that it applies to car rental bidding on HW and PL as well.

We are looking to rent a car for a week (compact or mid-size) in Fort Lauderdale (FLL) picking it up on February 8th (Wednesday). So our return will be prior to the start of most February school vacations. In general are there any guidelines as to when prices are lowest - like a long time in advance or closer to the actual pickup date? I'm sure it's a supply/demand thing but any tips on how far in advance to start bidding would be appreciated.

*** UPDATE ***

After posting this I found some help in the FAQ which basically said "ya never know" but I would still like to hear opinions on this.

Thanks.

Bob

Boston, MA

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You're right, it's a 'supply/demand thing', and as nobody can predict actual demand for a future date, there is no set rule for timing a bid/purchase. Best option is to research rates (use our Car Rental Checker to assist in your search) and 'know' what a good deal is... then start bidding as soon as your plans are firm, lowballing at first and gradually increasing your bids as you get closer to your start date. For a further discussion see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if you need more specific help for this trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Gang -

Any tips as to how I should handle tolls on the Florida Turnpike from FLL on way to Keys? I have the idea that many of the CASH toll booths have been removed so you need a SUN PASS transponder. Without knowing what company I'll get from HW/PL it's tough to know what the policy of my rental company will be. I don't want to be gouged for having to rent a transponder at a high rate.

Thanks.

Bob

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]